Why does some filipino guys deny that they're asian ?

I think calling a Filipino an Asian would be like calling an Indian "Asian" or a Russian "Asian", its technically correct but not really.If we're talking geography, then yeah its 100% correct, but I think the connotation with being classified as "Asian" is beyond geography.

"Asian. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example,Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam. It includes "Asian Indian,""Chinese," "Filipino," "Korean," "Japanese," "Vietnamese," and "Other Asian."

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ce_(United_States_Census)

/thread

its in the official census so lock this up and send it to all filipinos who think theyre from the continent "The Pacific Islands"

i'm korean BTW

im black/filipino.

i never say asian when people asked if im mixed.

and i always thought the philippenes are considered part of the pacific islands along with samoa, tonga and fiji and such.

Originally Posted by instant klassic

I don't even know why a Filipino would get offended for being labeled "Asian"...

Let's see the stereotypes: good grades, strong community, goal oriented, family person, hardworking, kick %!+ at videogames, extremely polite/well mannered, humble, timely, dependable, etc etc. Yeah, I can see how it's a real travesty to be labeled "Asian".
eyes.gif

i don't get offended at all

I am an american filipino. I really dont mind either way asain/Pacific Islander

But i like to say Pacific Islander, cuz the ladies Dig Islanders
pimp.gif

The bottom line is that if you have that chinese look, your're asian.

Some cambodians look like dominicans and so they have the right to call themselves hispanic and thus have the right to deny being asian.

answer is simple, some of them don't want to be associated with the negative ("uncool") stereotypes other asians have in this country.....thusthey deny being asian

not being proud of your ethnicity FTL.....

Originally Posted by BEATSLIM

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Anyways.. they're Asian
Only in the eyes of Americans because thats how they are identified in the census and how they are grouped within society. Do you guys really think that there are people walking around Metro Manila saying "I'm not Filipino, I'm Asian." How stupid does that sound?
Ok you're filipino but you're also asian. Not Pacific Islander. So if I meet you and cant tell you're filipino I'm a call you asian not pacific islander.
So Osama Bin Laden is also asian? So Crux and Osama are the same race going by your logic. Again, you see how stupid that sounds?

why not ask where someone is from before you label people
indifferent.gif
umm no. but they are on the same continent by my logic. You're Asian. Calm down it's not as bad as it seems

So again by your logic someone born in Mexico is the same race as someone born in Canada or the United States or Jamaica
roll.gif
roll.gif
No they're Mexican. We're America. They're Canadian. But we're all North American. Please stop your attempts at humor and intelligence disgust me.
Who call themselves North American? Thats not a race its a continent with people of different nationalities. None of which are the same. You seem to not understand the same for Asia. I'm not trying to be funny at all but when someone says a person from the Middle East and the Philippines are of the same race makes no sense at all and makes you look stupid. This is all common sense. Someone from Japan and Korea are not the same. Someone from India and Mongolia are not the same. If my intelligence disgust you then maybe you have none to begin with.

tired.gif

Question, do Brazilians refer to themselves as South Americans? What about Argentinians? What if you are Peruvians? I am going with SHWAP on this. Justbecause they don't call themselves North Americans, doesn't mean that's not what they are. Canadians are certainly not American, but they are inNorth America, so they would be North American. Just like Europe, we know people are from England, France, Hungry.. ect.. but they are all European. ...Idunno, I feel ******ed just explaining this.

I know this black filipino mixed girl and she just calls herself blasian, so I guess some people accept the asian label

Originally Posted by BobbyBrownpacks

im black/filipino.

i never say asian when people asked if im mixed.

and i always thought the philippenes are considered part of the pacific islands along with samoa, tonga and fiji and such.

damn this whole time i thought you were just black

Originally Posted by jepeh21

Originally Posted by instant klassic

I don't even know why a Filipino would get offended for being labeled "Asian"...

Let's see the stereotypes: good grades, strong community, goal oriented, family person, hardworking, kick %!+ at videogames, extremely polite/well mannered, humble, timely, dependable, etc etc. Yeah, I can see how it's a real travesty to be labeled "Asian".
eyes.gif

i don't get offended at all

I don't get offended at all neither. hell, I didn't even know "flip" was a negative term before I came to NT. I'm from the east coastthough, it seems like only West coast people get offended by it
laugh.gif

lol I don't know. I'm Filipino and people have said to me that I'm not Asian, I'm a Pacific Islander. I always correct them and say thatI'm Asian.

do middle eastern's consider themselves asians? what about russians too?

to me, asia is a continent and a person from a country within that continent is asian.

NT always confuses race/ethnicity with nationality or regionality (if that's a word)

the "asian" being referred to here is race/ethnicity.... not regionality/nationality

When someone calls themselves Asian, it means that they come from a country that is geographically part of the continent of Asia. The Philippines aregeographically part of Asia, ergo they are Asian. They are also Pacific Islanders because they happen to be islands, and they are located in the Pacific Ocean.Indians are Asian, many Russians are Asian.

When people say they aren't Asian, they are Pacific Islander, they are technically wrong.

philippines are kinda stuck in the middle geographically.
but asian doesn't offend me, cuz they are close to asia but not entirely in asia and the pacific islands are farther to the west in the middle of the ocean(tahiti, samoa) those are pacific islands. so i'll stay neutral, but i hate it when filipina girls say i'm pacific islander, i'm dark or somestupid *%$ like that like taking offense to being called asian. is it really that bad? damn stereotypes.
but
pinays are still
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Anyways.. they're Asian
Only in the eyes of Americans because thats how they are identified in the census and how they are grouped within society. Do you guys really think that there are people walking around Metro Manila saying "I'm not Filipino, I'm Asian." How stupid does that sound?
Ok you're filipino but you're also asian. Not Pacific Islander. So if I meet you and cant tell you're filipino I'm a call you asian not pacific islander.
So Osama Bin Laden is also asian? So Crux and Osama are the same race going by your logic. Again, you see how stupid that sounds?

why not ask where someone is from before you label people
indifferent.gif

some of you sound so stupid in this thread. ASIA IS A CONTINENT NOT A %!!@#%@ COUNTRY.
if you meet a Nigerian from AFRICA and another person from Liberia which is also in AFRICA they are both AFRICAN.

if you meet a Filipino from ASIA and a Chinese guy from ASIA, they are both ASIAN.

lets use our damn brains here.

and if anyone ha any arguments, here the wiki-
There are also many other islands located within the boundaries of the Pacific Ocean, but these are not considered part of Oceania. These islands include the Galápagos Islands of Ecuador; the Aleutian Islands in Alaska; the Russian islands of Sakhalin and Kuril Islands; Taiwan; the Philippines; the South China Sea Islands; most of the islands of Indonesia; and the island nation of Japan, which includes the Ryukyu Islands. The inhabitants of these islands are not considered to be Pacific Islanders and are usually identified with their nearest continent.
so some of you in this thread mean to tell me that you can sit here and call Japan part of Asia, but the Philippines arent?

/thread.

Originally Posted by Mycoldyourdone

we love karaoke...so therefore were asian....

roll.gif
thats true, everytime there is a party everyone sings karaoke.
its like a tradition, no party without the magic sing karaoke
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom