Will we ever see another dominant wing duo?

im not you

Banned
I'm not asking if we'll ever see a player who = Jordan and one who = Pippen...but merely a wing duo good enough to carry a team to a championship.
At what point from the 90s until now did the blueprint automatically become Dominant Big + Dominant Wing = Championship.

Is there a combination of guys in the L right now who could pull it off? Say if Lebron and Wade were to join forces next year somewhere...whether it's NY or Miami...but the starting center was less than stellar...like Eddy Curry or Joel Anthony or something. Could they go all the way and beat a team built like the Lakers?

Looking back...it makes those Bulls teams look even greater considering they did all of that in an era where there alot more dominant big men around and they had Luc Longley up front. 

This is a damn good question, one I've asked myself quite a few times and I'm still not sure.

Honestly the formula has always been Dominant Big + Dominant Guard going all the way back to those Celtic squads of Russell & Cousy etc. But then you had over all great squads like the Celtics & Pistons of the 80's and that 04 Pistons crew. That Bulls squad was the only one that I can think of that focused on dominant wings.

Hmmm I'm not sure. Not only would they have to be ridiculously talented but they would have to know their roles. For example, if LeBron and Wade were to team up together, who's going to be the alpha dog? It sounds trivial but watching those two in ASGs makes me think there would be a bit of a "power struggle", especially late in games.

before ariza left i was thinkin him and kobe were gonna be a problem especially once trev became somewhat of an offensive force opposing teams had to worry about...

Originally Posted by JRodski

before ariza left i was thinkin him and kobe were gonna be a problem especially once trev became somewhat of an offensive force opposing teams had to worry about...
laugh.gif
Trevor Ariza's name has no business being mentioning in this thread man.

But good question. As Nas mentioned, I think it is easier for a big man and a wing player to get along and know their roles better than 2 wings would. I don't know if Bron and Wade would work either because who would be the head-honcho? We know LeBron wouldn't take a back seat. I can't see Wade doing it either but who knows.

Cakes, we have to stop referencing the '04 Pistons because they broke every rule of championship blueprints.
laugh.gif

I don't think you necessarily need a dominant wing and a dominant big to win, but you do need a dominant wing and a dominant post player.

MJ was so great because he was both dominant wing and post in all rolled in one.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

I'm not asking if we'll ever see a player who = Jordan and one who = Pippen...but merely a wing duo good enough to carry a team to a championship.
At what point from the 90s until now did the blueprint automatically become Dominant Big + Dominant Wing = Championship.

Is there a combination of guys in the L right now who could pull it off? Say if Lebron and Wade were to join forces next year somewhere...whether it's NY or Miami...but the starting center was less than stellar...like Eddy Curry or Joel Anthony or something. Could they go all the way and beat a team built like the Lakers?

Looking back...it makes those Bulls teams look even greater considering they did all of that in an era where there alot more dominant big men around and they had Luc Longley up front. 
It has ALWAYS been the formula, there are very few exceptions, The Pistons, The Bad Boy pistons, Magic dragging around Kareem's corpse, Hakeem first championship with Drexler and Timmy D with rookie manu and tony.

Naw.

The way Money and Pip dominated was just absolutely disgusting.

We'll probably see a nice wing duo, but dominant as Money and Pip? Nope.

Lebron and Wade with a half decent big, like say a Brendan Haywood(who's a free agent)? They win a bare mimumum of 4 championships over next 6 years.

Originally Posted by Dade B0Y

Lebron and Wade with a half decent big, like say a Brendan Haywood(who's a free agent)? They win a bare mimumum of 4 championships over next 6 years.
eek.gif
laugh.gif
eek.gif

Prophet Com
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom