Woman falls for Nigerian scam after repeated warnings from family, bank officials - loses $400k

The Atlanta Journal-Constitutionreporting

[h1]Woman loses $400,000 in Nigerian e-mail scam
[/h1]
Associated Press

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

SWEET HOME, Ore. - An Oregon woman who is out $400,000 after falling for a well-known Internet scam says she wasn't a sucker or an easy mark.

Janella Spears of Sweet Home says she simply became curious when she received an e-mail promising her $20.5 million if she would only help out a long-lost relative identified as J.B. Spears with a little money up front.

Spears told KATU-TV about the scammers' ability to identify her relative by name was persuasive.

"That's what got me to believe it," She said. "So, why wouldn't you send over $100?"

Spears, who is a nursing administrator and CPR teacher, said she mortgaged the house and took a lien out on the family car, and ran through her husband's retirement account.

Y'know, I understand how some people are able to fall for stuff like this when they don't know any better or no one's around to setthem straight but:
Her family and bank officials told her it was all a scam, she said, and begged her to stop, but she persisted because she became obsessed with getting paid.

C'MON LADY!

Wow, what an idiot
laugh.gif

Some Nigerian is making it rain as we speak

i dont even feel bad for her, thats terrible

nursing administrator, she couldnt have been that dumb with that job title.

Back
Top Bottom