[::WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD: 2 Weeks Away From Pre-Season::]

Adidas...
smh.gif

I think that its an NBA Store error. I remember seeing the yellow personalized jerseys like that last year.

I really hope that jersey is just a sample.

Adidas really will eff up the jersey, I prefer the numbers being white on the gold jerseys.

[h2]Matt Barnes Isn’t Worthy Of Nick Van Exel’s Lakers Jersey[/h2]
By Rob Kadivar

Nick-Van-Exel.jpg

Nick Van Exel should have had his number retired. If not to respect the man, the character, and the athlete, then at least to prevent a guy like Matt Barnes from wearing it.

Yeah, it wouldn’t really fit up in the rafters next to names like West, Chamberlain, Magic and Kareem, but Van Exel’s contribution was substantial for anyone following the team in the ’90s.

On paper, all we see is that he made the NBA All-Star Game once, and hit more than a couple clutch threes in the Western Conference Semifinals against the Spurs. But in reality, he was the first to bring character and swagger back to the post-Magic Lakers.

Then there’s Barnes. An L.A. native who went to UCLA, now running with the Lakers – living the dream of any kid born in L.A., if not kids everywhere. But how? Decent defender, I suppose, but only in his ability to annoy the opposition.

Aside from that, all we’ve seen consistently from Barnes is poor character. Putting basketballs in Kobe’s face trying to get him to flinch, rubbing foreheads with Paul Pierce, and even slapping a coach just last month.

I’m not saying Nick was the cleanest player – we all remember his ejection in San Antonio, and him shoving that ref into the scorer’s table – but there was something honorable about his way. Nick was protesting poor officiating, or sticking up for a teammate. Barnes was just picking fights, trying to get into people’s heads – the Al Sharpton of the NBA.

This October, Barnes will begin the regular season wearing the number that was also worn two years ago by Sun Yue, former Lakers benchwarmer. A jersey that has been disrespected since being worn by one of, if not the, flashiest left-handed guard in the history of the League. Maybe retiring Van Exel’s jersey is a bit extreme, but can we just toss Barnes an old Dennis Rodman No. 91 jersey? Or maybe Ron Artest could hook him up with his therapist before the season starts.

What do you think?

pimp.gif

I don't think anyone can don the #9, and make me forget about Nick the Quick wearing that number.

Lakers #9 will always be co-existent with Nick.

images

I was sad when the Lakers traded Nick to Denver. And to only get back Tyronn Lue and Mark Blount (later traded for Travis Knight) made me even more sadder. 
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Nick was so damn disgusting. 
sick.gif
pimp.gif

I remember him tearing out Gary Payton's soul in the first round of 95 I believe and being the only guy to fight when we went up against the Spurs.  In fact, I remember him getting into it with one Doc Rivers. 
roll.gif
 Rivers knocked over, i believe Eddie Jones, and Nick raced over to help Eddie up, Doc saw him and reached for Nick's hand, when Nick saw that, he pulled his hand back so fast and jumped away from Doc, it pissed the Spurs off. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

And when he hit that buzzer beater in Boston in the final game at the old garden. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
  From his tip toes fallin away, what a damn shot. 

But let's face it, kid was never gonna play with Phil Jackson.  That was Phil's first move if I remember correctly, movin out Nick the Quick. 
tired.gif

But Lue did help us with AI in 01, so I have learned to let go that pain. 

Nick playing for the Blazers?  I have not learned to let that pain go yet.  Nor will I ever. 
laugh.gif

Nick had a few good seasons, but he's not the type of point guard you need to win championships...

His time with the Lakers is definitely appreciated, but this article is reaching.

Damn Nas, you right, I just looked that trade up, it wasn't Phil's fault. 
frown.gif

I been blamin him all this time too. 
laugh.gif

Yeah that too. It was best for both sides to move on, but the Lakers got back terrible value for a good PG in his prime SMH. His value couldn't have been THAT bad.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Phil was retired when Nick got traded. I think it was Shaq that wanted Nick out.

Not only that, but Del Harris simply did not get along with Nick. 

Wasnt Nick and Del Harris on the Mavs squad a couple years back??

is it me or does it seem like it is the longest off season ever. cant wait for us 2 get bakk on the court.
3peat!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom