Wrestling Thread 1/31-2/6 | Feb 3 TNA Impact - THEY Arrive - Anderson vs Hardy

The 2011 Royal Rumble took place last night.  The Rumble always makes for a fun show, but overall, I gave the show a thumbs down because I thought the three under card matches were anywhere from good to awful.  Sure, we expected the Divas to be bad, but it was worse than we could have even expected, but the Miz/Orton match completely stunk up the joint.  Edge and Ziggler was a good match, but it had a stupid finish.  Here's my recap of last night's show:

Edge d Dolph Ziggler to retain the World Heavyweight Championship.  I thought the opener between Edge and Ziggler was good until the finish.  Why did Kelly Kelly get involved?  And didn't what she do go completely against what she has been getting mad at Drew for?  And then with Edge using the spear.  Didn't we just have WWE refs using replay a few weeks back?  But now since the ref is down, Edge can cheat and another stipulation is ignored.  Ziggler has been buried to the point of not being seen as a main eventer for a long, long time.

The Miz d Randy Orton to retain the WWE Championship.  The Miz and Randy Orton nearly put me to sleep.  This match was so boring.  It was rear chin lock after rear chin lock with a few stomps and kicks mixed in.  I understand the Nexus coming out for the finish of the match, but what reason did Punk and Nexus have for costing Orton the match?  It just seemed like they did the interference for the reason of doing interference (and of course because Orton can't lose cleanly to Miz).  I also wondered what happened to the ref when Riley got tossed over the top rope.  If you watch the replay, the ref does a dive to get out of the way and knocks himself out.  A boring match with a stupid finish.

Eve Torres won the Divas Title in a Fatal Fourway.  The Divas match was terrible, but I was expecting that.  WWE seems to always push Eve despite other women being much more over than her.

Alberto Del Rio won the Royal Rumble.  The Rumble was good, but not great.  I loved having Bryan, Punk, and Regal in there together.  The story of the Nexus working together worked really well.  The Cena and Hornswoggle crap was completely unnecessary.  WWE just had to involve stupid comedy in one of the most important matches of the year.  Tyson Kidd should just get a head start of lining up in the unemployment line.  I thought it was very interesting that they booked Nexus pretty strong, but with the exception of Barrett, Core was made to look very weak, especially Slater and Gabriel.  I wish Morrison would have lasted longer.  The Nash and Booker pops were nice, but I wonder if they'll have any lasting impact with fans if they stick around.  For the finish, I really wish it would have been over after Del Rio dumped Orton.  Having Santino come in for the comedy spot to end the Rumble took away from Del Rio's victory, but again, I think they were protecting Orton by having him not being the last one eliminated.  I just don't get what they see in Orton.

It was Alberto Del Rio's destiny to win the Royal Rumble and headline WrestleMania, but you already knew that.

I'd give the show a 4/10 overall which is a slight thumbs down.

If John Cena comes out and cuts a comedy promo without being pissed off about being eliminated by The Miz last night, I'm going to punch the wall.

There is only three weeks until The Elimination Chamber PPV, so they need to start getting the show together tonight.  I haven't heard any plans, but they have normally done one Elimination Chamber match for each brand.  Two Elimination Chambers isn't going to sell anymore PPVs than one Elimination Chamber, so they really should only do one match.  Alberto can choose his championship opponent before the show, and then the Elimination Chamber match can be used to determine the number one contender for the other title.

Assuming they build toward Elimination Chamber tonight, traditionally they have had qualifying matches to determine the entrants, so we may see those matches tonight.

Awesome Kong was backstage last night and is set to debut at anytime now.

HHH has also been ready for months now and could return at anytime.  Since they didn't go with the King Booker gimmick, it looks like it will still be King Sheamus against the King of Kings at WrestleMania.  It's just a matter of when they want to start the program.  I really think they should promote HHH's return rather than just having him make a surprise return.

And of course besides Del Rio winning the Rumble, the big news last night was the returns of Booker T and Kevin Nash.  Here's the latest:
Booker signed a long-term deal but was slated to be a manager who did some wrestling and coaching, but he may get a run out of this because he can still go.  Nash was only scheduled for a short-term, but they were open to doing business with him as a possible trainer or coach but not in the ring.  Based on crowd reaction, both may get a little run out of things.  As TV is being rewritten, their roles tonight will probably give a good clue as if there are any substantive plans for both.  We have heard a few ideas thrown around for Booker with main-level guys.
I have no problem with Booker sticking around, but I have a feeling I'm going to have seen more than my fair share of Nash by the time WrestleMania gets here.  Plus, once people actually see him in the ring, the rose may lose its bloom very, very quickly.

Coming out of last night's show, I think the tentative WrestleMania card is shaping up as follows:
~The Miz vs John Cena
~Edge vs Alberto Del Rio
~The Undertaker vs Wade Barrett
~CM Punk vs Randy Orton
~HHH vs Sheamus
~Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes

It's a strong card, but I don't know if it has the juice you would normally expect for WrestleMania.

Tonight is a big TNA taping.  "They" are coming.  However, "They" will obviously not be Kevin Nash and Booker T as was originally planned.  Right now, it is just Scott Steiner and likely Kurt Angle.  There is still no confirmation of whether Sting will return or not.  Bobby Lashley also does not have a deal with TNA, so he won't be involved.

Mr. Anderson vs. Jeff Hardy title match is scheduled tonight.  The original plans, as of last week, was for this match to build for a ladder match at the Against All Odds PPV on 2/13.  Ric Flair being or not being on television will tell the tale of his future with the company.  We had only heard during the week that they wanted him back to finish the European swing because the tour was built around his name and that a decision would be made about his future after they got home.

The 2011 Royal Rumble took place last night.  The Rumble always makes for a fun show, but overall, I gave the show a thumbs down because I thought the three under card matches were anywhere from good to awful.  Sure, we expected the Divas to be bad, but it was worse than we could have even expected, but the Miz/Orton match completely stunk up the joint.  Edge and Ziggler was a good match, but it had a stupid finish.  Here's my recap of last night's show:

Edge d Dolph Ziggler to retain the World Heavyweight Championship.  I thought the opener between Edge and Ziggler was good until the finish.  Why did Kelly Kelly get involved?  And didn't what she do go completely against what she has been getting mad at Drew for?  And then with Edge using the spear.  Didn't we just have WWE refs using replay a few weeks back?  But now since the ref is down, Edge can cheat and another stipulation is ignored.  Ziggler has been buried to the point of not being seen as a main eventer for a long, long time.

The Miz d Randy Orton to retain the WWE Championship.  The Miz and Randy Orton nearly put me to sleep.  This match was so boring.  It was rear chin lock after rear chin lock with a few stomps and kicks mixed in.  I understand the Nexus coming out for the finish of the match, but what reason did Punk and Nexus have for costing Orton the match?  It just seemed like they did the interference for the reason of doing interference (and of course because Orton can't lose cleanly to Miz).  I also wondered what happened to the ref when Riley got tossed over the top rope.  If you watch the replay, the ref does a dive to get out of the way and knocks himself out.  A boring match with a stupid finish.

Eve Torres won the Divas Title in a Fatal Fourway.  The Divas match was terrible, but I was expecting that.  WWE seems to always push Eve despite other women being much more over than her.

Alberto Del Rio won the Royal Rumble.  The Rumble was good, but not great.  I loved having Bryan, Punk, and Regal in there together.  The story of the Nexus working together worked really well.  The Cena and Hornswoggle crap was completely unnecessary.  WWE just had to involve stupid comedy in one of the most important matches of the year.  Tyson Kidd should just get a head start of lining up in the unemployment line.  I thought it was very interesting that they booked Nexus pretty strong, but with the exception of Barrett, Core was made to look very weak, especially Slater and Gabriel.  I wish Morrison would have lasted longer.  The Nash and Booker pops were nice, but I wonder if they'll have any lasting impact with fans if they stick around.  For the finish, I really wish it would have been over after Del Rio dumped Orton.  Having Santino come in for the comedy spot to end the Rumble took away from Del Rio's victory, but again, I think they were protecting Orton by having him not being the last one eliminated.  I just don't get what they see in Orton.

It was Alberto Del Rio's destiny to win the Royal Rumble and headline WrestleMania, but you already knew that.

I'd give the show a 4/10 overall which is a slight thumbs down.

If John Cena comes out and cuts a comedy promo without being pissed off about being eliminated by The Miz last night, I'm going to punch the wall.

There is only three weeks until The Elimination Chamber PPV, so they need to start getting the show together tonight.  I haven't heard any plans, but they have normally done one Elimination Chamber match for each brand.  Two Elimination Chambers isn't going to sell anymore PPVs than one Elimination Chamber, so they really should only do one match.  Alberto can choose his championship opponent before the show, and then the Elimination Chamber match can be used to determine the number one contender for the other title.

Assuming they build toward Elimination Chamber tonight, traditionally they have had qualifying matches to determine the entrants, so we may see those matches tonight.

Awesome Kong was backstage last night and is set to debut at anytime now.

HHH has also been ready for months now and could return at anytime.  Since they didn't go with the King Booker gimmick, it looks like it will still be King Sheamus against the King of Kings at WrestleMania.  It's just a matter of when they want to start the program.  I really think they should promote HHH's return rather than just having him make a surprise return.

And of course besides Del Rio winning the Rumble, the big news last night was the returns of Booker T and Kevin Nash.  Here's the latest:
Booker signed a long-term deal but was slated to be a manager who did some wrestling and coaching, but he may get a run out of this because he can still go.  Nash was only scheduled for a short-term, but they were open to doing business with him as a possible trainer or coach but not in the ring.  Based on crowd reaction, both may get a little run out of things.  As TV is being rewritten, their roles tonight will probably give a good clue as if there are any substantive plans for both.  We have heard a few ideas thrown around for Booker with main-level guys.
I have no problem with Booker sticking around, but I have a feeling I'm going to have seen more than my fair share of Nash by the time WrestleMania gets here.  Plus, once people actually see him in the ring, the rose may lose its bloom very, very quickly.

Coming out of last night's show, I think the tentative WrestleMania card is shaping up as follows:
~The Miz vs John Cena
~Edge vs Alberto Del Rio
~The Undertaker vs Wade Barrett
~CM Punk vs Randy Orton
~HHH vs Sheamus
~Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes

It's a strong card, but I don't know if it has the juice you would normally expect for WrestleMania.

Tonight is a big TNA taping.  "They" are coming.  However, "They" will obviously not be Kevin Nash and Booker T as was originally planned.  Right now, it is just Scott Steiner and likely Kurt Angle.  There is still no confirmation of whether Sting will return or not.  Bobby Lashley also does not have a deal with TNA, so he won't be involved.

Mr. Anderson vs. Jeff Hardy title match is scheduled tonight.  The original plans, as of last week, was for this match to build for a ladder match at the Against All Odds PPV on 2/13.  Ric Flair being or not being on television will tell the tale of his future with the company.  We had only heard during the week that they wanted him back to finish the European swing because the tour was built around his name and that a decision would be made about his future after they got home.

Flair Update
--Ric Flair is not at tonight's TNA taping.  They are taping Thursday's show that has been promoted for weeks with Flair as a key part of the show.  According to TNA sources, Flair is still with the company.

Flair Update
--Ric Flair is not at tonight's TNA taping.  They are taping Thursday's show that has been promoted for weeks with Flair as a key part of the show.  According to TNA sources, Flair is still with the company.

del rio to announce what title he will challenge for at mania tonite.

kong backstage tonite. her debut is reported "iminent"

i posted other news in the last thread that talks about new plans for nash and booker, check it out

del rio to announce what title he will challenge for at mania tonite.

kong backstage tonite. her debut is reported "iminent"

i posted other news in the last thread that talks about new plans for nash and booker, check it out

Wonder what Raw has in store for us tonight.

Thanks for doing the Rumble pool 4W, made the night more interesting and funny.

Wonder what Raw has in store for us tonight.

Thanks for doing the Rumble pool 4W, made the night more interesting and funny.

^ yeah mine too...except for when I had to leave when my dude came out
indifferent.gif
but it was khali anyway
laugh.gif

-- Former TNA Wrestling production manager Randy Ricci noted on his blog thttp://nawf.com/blog/?p=10478hat a 'reliable source' informed him that top brass such as Dixie Carter, Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff are very hopeful that the "They" storyline "saves the company."

Ricci adds that the storyline is being built off Karen and Jeff Jarrett's 'real live heat' with Kurt Angle and that any employee against the angle is considered to be working against the company and thus may be terminated.

- As we reported over the weekend, the January 27 episode http://rajah.com/base/node/21595#of TNA iMPACT! scored a 1.28 cable http://rajah.com/base/node/21595#rating, the program’s highest mark since October 14. iMPACT! averaged 1.93 million viewers over the course of two hours, which is the third largest average audience in the program’s history

TNA star Matt Hardy wrote the following on Twitterhttp://rajah.com/base/node/21595# about last week's show doing a strong rating:
"I awesome appreciate the TNA Impact viewers for tunin in & makin last night's Impact the 3rd most watched in TNA history. Hardys=Ratings"

-- Former TNA Wrestling production manager Randy Ricci noted on his blog thttp://nawf.com/blog/?p=10478hat a 'reliable source' informed him that top brass such as Dixie Carter, Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff are very hopeful that the "They" storyline "saves the company."

Ricci adds that the storyline is being built off Karen and Jeff Jarrett's 'real live heat' with Kurt Angle and that any employee against the angle is considered to be working against the company and thus may be terminated.

- As we reported over the weekend, the January 27 episode http://rajah.com/base/node/21595#of TNA iMPACT! scored a 1.28 cable http://rajah.com/base/node/21595#rating, the program’s highest mark since October 14. iMPACT! averaged 1.93 million viewers over the course of two hours, which is the third largest average audience in the program’s history

TNA star Matt Hardy wrote the following on Twitterhttp://rajah.com/base/node/21595# about last week's show doing a strong rating:
"I awesome appreciate the TNA Impact viewers for tunin in & makin last night's Impact the 3rd most watched in TNA history. Hardys=Ratings"

Originally Posted by chillainvillain

What are the chances that Miz beats Cena cleanly at WM?
nerd.gif
roll.gif
NO CHANCE IN HELL

Cena losing at WM means kids would start losing faith in everything.

nerd.gif
roll.gif
NO CHANCE IN HELL

Originally Posted by HOOD17

nerd.gif
roll.gif
NO CHANCE IN HELL

My lil cuz was fighting back tears when I told him Cena lost and Miz was the guy to dump him like trash.

Originally Posted by HOOD17

nerd.gif
roll.gif
NO CHANCE IN HELL

My lil cuz was fighting back tears when I told him Cena lost and Miz was the guy to dump him like trash.

I was at the Rumble last night and the crowd reactions to Nash and King Booker were pretty awesome.

I was at the Rumble last night and the crowd reactions to Nash and King Booker were pretty awesome.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

yea i wasnt there, but it was pretty awesome to see the respect for guys like nash and booker...even i marked out watching it behind my computer screen! lol

Back
Top Bottom