Wrestling Thread Aug 24-30 | 8/28 - Smackdown - CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy - Steel Cage Loser Leaves Town

I had very low expectations going into Summerslam last night, so the show definitely gets a thumbs up in my book because I was very entertained. Here's myvery quick rundown.

Mysterio d. Ziggler - Great opener, the 2nd best match of the night. I wish Ziggler won, but he looked very strong even in the loss.
MVP d Swagger - MVP cut his best promo maybe of his career before the match. The match itself was not very good. Short and not a ton of energy. These twowere much better before they came to Raw.
Chris Jericho and The Big Show d Cryme Tyme - Pleasantly surprised by this match. Very competitive, and JTG in particular looked very good. Jericho and Showwinning was the right move so Jericho can remain on both Raw and Smackdown.
Kane d Khali - Went way too long. Painful, but at least Kane won.
Christian d William Regal - Why not make Kane and Khali the 8 second match? ECW is really the whipping boy of the WWE. I feel bad for Christian. At least itmeans we'll probably get a rematch on ECW that goes about 20 minutes.
DX d The Legacy - Really surprised about this match. DX went over, but in no way did they bury Rhodes and Dibiase. The Legacy looked really good here. Credit to everyone involved.
Randy Orton d John Cena - Too overbooked for my liking, but at least this is a rare occurrence in the WWE unlike TNA or WCW. Why was Vince just making uprules as the match went on? Looks like a new member of Legacy. And Lillian with the major fail of the night.
CM Punk d Jeff Hardy - Great match, but not a classic TLC. A few great spots. As I said last night, I'm not sad to see Hardy go, and as long as he keepshis life together, I'll bet he'll be back. Heel Punk is amazing. His promo before the match was great. Ending was great with the surprise Takerreturn. Punk vs Taker is new and fresh. Hopefully The Taker's body can hold up for it.

Summerslam will be a top 3 PPV of the year for the WWE when the year is over. If you missed it, I suggest checking it out.

Tonight Raw is in Las Vegas. "Pretty Boy" Floyd "Money" Mayweather is the guest host. I'm guess he's not getting $20 milliontonight. I'm excited he's there, but it could also be very bad. They need to play him as a heel, because that is how he worked best last year. Boxing crowds always treat Mayweather as a heel. Of course, this isn't a boxing crowd, but there have to be some boxing fans if the show's in Vegas. Considering Floyd's publicized love of gambling, a Raw Roulette seems right up his alley tonight. Nothing else has been announced, but Breaking Point isjust 20 days away, so the top matches need to be established quickly. You have to think we'll see an Orton vs Cena rematch.

i was actually very suprised at how strong JTG looked.

Considering i was never high on Crime Tyme (i actually think the gimmick is terrible, and borderline racist)
but JTG definitely has some potential as a singles star down the line, provided his gimmick is changed or atleast gradually toned down.

So what happened last night at the PPV? I missed it because I was moving into my dorm and couldn't connect to the internet. And any links to a replay likeon Zshare last time?

Nice review of Summerslam 4. If WWE is smart they will keep the "fan" a secret and keep letting it happen up until Breaking Point.

Oh yeah random question for you, do you not like facepaint or is it just Jeff's.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Nice review of Summerslam 4. If WWE is smart they will keep the "fan" a secret and keep letting it happen up until Breaking Point.

Oh yeah random question for you, do you not like facepaint or is it just Jeff's.
Face paint is one thing. Looking like a zombie is another. Jeff took it too far.

Legion of Doom = Awesome
Jeff Hardy = Not so much

Mayweather possibly involved in shooting, possibly out as tonight's host

Tonight's WWE Raw guest host Floyd Mayweather's car was found at the scene of a shooting in Las Vegas. Police obtained a search warrant to look through the boxer's home, but wouldn't tell FOX5Vegas.com. what they are searching for. [Thanks to Devin Cutting of ProwrestlingEvents.tk.]

Powell's POV: Looking at this from WWE's perspective, the story is sure to generate a ton of media buzz and they should be going out of their way to alert the media that he is guest hosting tonight's show. Of course, it's possible that Mayweather could be forced to back out of the hosting gig. Stay tuned.

WWE reaches out to Rock again, to guest host

-- As an update to reports of WWE having interest in The Rock and Steve Austin as guest hosts on RAW, a report in the PWTorch Newsletter says that sources believe WWE might have already extended the invitation to The Rock. The recent Variety report on the guest hosting concept made no mention of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson being in talks to host, but the Torch's report says that WWE has made its interest known-"the ball is in Johnson's court," reads the report.

Originally Posted by LetItRock

WWE reaches out to Rock again, to guest host

-- As an update to reports of WWE having interest in The Rock and Steve Austin as guest hosts on RAW, a report in the PWTorch Newsletter says that sources believe WWE might have already extended the invitation to The Rock. The recent Variety report on the guest hosting concept made no mention of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson being in talks to host, but the Torch's report says that WWE has made its interest known-"the ball is in Johnson's court," reads the report.

can someone please explain what a raw roulette is again?! and any streams goin on for summer slam still?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 22stylez

can someone please explain what a raw roulette is again?! and any streams goin on for summer slam still?
laugh.gif

Its basically a roulette to pick a random stipulation for a match.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Face paint is one thing. Looking like a zombie is another. Jeff took it too far.

Legion of Doom = Awesome
Jeff Hardy = Not so much
Got you.

lod.jpg

ultimate_warrior_wallpaper.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

FACE PAINT AND TASSELS. Man I miss the old days.
ohwell.gif

Orton responds to Kennedy's trash talk:
Randy Orton occasionally posts messages at www.Orton-Forum.com, a discussion forum for all things Orton. The administrators have confirmed several times that it is indeed the WWE Superstar. Furthermore, he has made announcements there in the past, such as the birth of his first daughter and his apparent motorcycle accident last summer. It was brought to Orton's attention that during a recent interview, Ken Anderson, formerly known as Mr. Kennedy in WWE, blamed both him and John Cena for getting him fired from the company. He also implied they were using political clout to bury other wrestlers.

In response to his allegations, Orton made the following post: "He is in denial. He thinks you have to be able to do a moonsault to know how to work. And, as for dropping me on my head, he did. He never got to see all 4 camera angles of him doing it. I did. Plus, the left side of my neck down to my trap was sore all week in MX. I did tell Ken that he shouldn't be dropping me on my head with such a simple basic move. He never said sorry, and even called me a liar after the match! I remember looking at him in disbelief. And yes, I did tell managment I did not want to work with him after that. Who wouldn't? That's my side."

He later followed up his initial post with another post regarding Kennedy. Here is what he wrote: "There is another thing.....never did I get my neck 'taped' As he claims it was in that interview. Also, the whole 'bear hug' story does Have some truth to it. Early in the day that morning in LA, he came up behind me and grabbed around my chest and picked me up off of the floor. I don't know anyone who enjoys being tackled from behind and picked up off the floor. When he let go and I I relized that it was ken, I was like oh,ok, your back, cool. My reaction Of his big return was watered down and I found it very funny reading In his interview that he felt like I had an agenda,or almost like I wanted him gone. Not until I was given a belly to back suplex onto back of my neck did I have any neg Feelings with Mr anderson. I honestly hope for his wifes sake that he can find sometrh Else he's marginally good at,and earn a living. I know he really wants to entertain, so Good luck ken, you r gonna need it. RKO"

WWE divas & the PG rating:
On the heels of last night's SummerSlam pay-per-view, The Los Angeles Times has an article on World Wrestling Entertainment today. There is a lot of focus on WWE's "family friendly" image, but there are some other interesting notes as well.

Vince McMahon said he hopes to launch a cable network "within two years." He feels confident they will be successful because WWE has "a lot of clout" in the entertainment industry, noting their vast video library will help create content for a cable channel.

McMahon also added he's not a big fan of agents. He gave the following quote: "I'm not a real fan of agents," acknowledged McMahon. "As long as you are fair with everyone, why would you have an agent?" he wondered, adding that his top guys pull in "several million dollars a year."

Another point brought up during the article is that of the female performers' wardrobe as they're much more conservative than they were in the past. Maria was quoted as saying "The guys miss it, but that's how it goes," and claimed that "some of the girls get reprimanded for "showing too much cleavage," something that would've never happened a few years ago".

Elsewhere, it's noted that John Cena pushed for WWE to become PG as he felt the product had become "stale."

"You can't please everybody," Cena said. "Our business was down and the product was becoming old and stale."

WWE has since attracted more advertisers in hopes of appealing to a wider demographic. Triple H said the violence is now like "Wile E. Coyote," with Cena adding "It's less of 'The Jerry Springer Show' now."

Back
Top Bottom