Wrestling Thread May 2-8 | 5/6 BOYCOTT SMACKDOWN TONIGHT - TELL @WWE YOUR THOUGHTS

20110501_rockbday_l.jpg
20110502_raw_cenavsmiz_l.jpg

Tonight will be one of the largest Raw's of the year, but before we get to that, I'll recap last night's WWE Extreme Rules PPV quickly.  It's funny that a show that will have about 1/8th of the buys of WrestleMania was a much, much better show.

• Randy Orton d CM Punk in a Last Man Standing Match.  I missed this match but read that it was good.  While I'm not surprised that Orton won, it could be a sign that Punk is on his way out of WWE.  Of course, he wasn't punted (like Jericho's departure), so maybe not.
  • Kofi Kingston d Sheamus in a Tables Match to become the new Intercontinental Champion.  A good match but it was unadvertised so the fans really weren't that into it.  Sheamus didn't technically lose clean since he lost by going through a table, but he still lost and is one of the only big name heels on Smackdown, and he lost to a guy who has jobbed for months.
  • Michael Cole & Jack Swagger d Jerry Lawler & Jim Ross in a Country Whipping (Strap) Match.  The match was laid out much better than the match at Mania, but they have given away so much on TV for free that there was no big payoff for this PPV match.  Just make Cole a full time heel manager, put JR back on commentary, and get it over with.  Unfortunately, we're probably going to get yet another Cole/Lawler match at Over The Limit later this month.
  • Rey Mysterio d Cody Rhodes in a Falls Count Anywhere Match.  Very good match.  Brawled through the crowd, on the stage, and into the concourse in the arena.  Finish came in the ring when Rey blew the Great Muta mist into Rhodes' eyes.  I really think Rhodes needed to go over here, but I guess wins and losses really don't matter in today's WWE.
  • Layla d Michelle McCool in a Loser Leaves WWE match.  They worked really hard, but the crowd didn't care.  Kharma (Kong) debuted after the match to layout McCool.  It was a great debut.
  • Christian d Alberto Del Rio in a Ladder Match to win the World Heavyweight Championship.  Awesome match.  Both men did some crazy (dangerous) spots, especially Del Rio taking a nasty back bump onto a ladder and almost killing himself going over the top rope off a ladder.  Edge celebrated with Christian after the match.
  • The Big Show & Kane d Wade Barrett & Ezekiel Jackson in a Jobber Lumberjack Match to retain the WWE Tag Team Titles.  Awful match.  It looks like they have bigger plans for Zeke than Barrett which is such a huge mistake.
  • John Cena d The Miz and John Morrison in a Steel Cage Match to win the WWE Championship.  Very good match, but much of my attention was taken by the Bin Laden announcement.  Morrison looked really good in the match, but Truth cost him the win.  Truth was also good on this show.  Finish had Cena hit the AA off the 2nd rope on The Miz to pin him and win his TENTH WWE Championship.
Take out the two tag matches, and you had a very strong overall show.

Last week was the WWE Draft, but guess what.... BOTH ROSTERS WILL BE ON TONIGHT'S SHOW!!!

WWE has been advertising tonight as the biggest birthday in entertainment history.  Yeah, I highly doubt that.  However, there are a few things planned for tonight.  Aside from Jim Ross being there, Lillian Garcia, Mae Young, and Ron Simmons will be on the show.  Mick Foley will not be there.  The Miami Heat dancers will be performing and Pitbull will also be performing (not sure if this will be on TV).  They also have a giant birthday cake for The Rock (for Mae Young to come out of?).  And of course, with Cena winning the title last night, we'll have some type of confrontation between the two.  Tonight's show is in Miami, so it will likely be a very pro-Rock crowd.  After tonight's appearance, The Rock is not scheduled for any other appearances in the near future.  After the awful taste they left in most fans' mouths with their last lovefest "confrontation," I really hope they have something better planned for tonight.

The Miz will evoke his rematch clause tonight against Cena.  This can only mean one of two things.  1) The Miz is beat cleanly by Cena.  Or 2) We get a typical crap finish with Cena retaining the title.  Either way, I guess most everyone in the threat will be annoyed (other than The Deek and DSK).  Of course, there is only three weeks until Over The Limit, so this may just be to set up another Cena/Miz match for that show.  However, I have a gut feeling we'll see a fourway at that show also including Morrison and Truth.

Don't forget Tough Enough at 8pm.

Running late.  See you guys back for tonight's show.

20110501_rockbday_l.jpg
20110502_raw_cenavsmiz_l.jpg

Tonight will be one of the largest Raw's of the year, but before we get to that, I'll recap last night's WWE Extreme Rules PPV quickly.  It's funny that a show that will have about 1/8th of the buys of WrestleMania was a much, much better show.

• Randy Orton d CM Punk in a Last Man Standing Match.  I missed this match but read that it was good.  While I'm not surprised that Orton won, it could be a sign that Punk is on his way out of WWE.  Of course, he wasn't punted (like Jericho's departure), so maybe not.
  • Kofi Kingston d Sheamus in a Tables Match to become the new Intercontinental Champion.  A good match but it was unadvertised so the fans really weren't that into it.  Sheamus didn't technically lose clean since he lost by going through a table, but he still lost and is one of the only big name heels on Smackdown, and he lost to a guy who has jobbed for months.
  • Michael Cole & Jack Swagger d Jerry Lawler & Jim Ross in a Country Whipping (Strap) Match.  The match was laid out much better than the match at Mania, but they have given away so much on TV for free that there was no big payoff for this PPV match.  Just make Cole a full time heel manager, put JR back on commentary, and get it over with.  Unfortunately, we're probably going to get yet another Cole/Lawler match at Over The Limit later this month.
  • Rey Mysterio d Cody Rhodes in a Falls Count Anywhere Match.  Very good match.  Brawled through the crowd, on the stage, and into the concourse in the arena.  Finish came in the ring when Rey blew the Great Muta mist into Rhodes' eyes.  I really think Rhodes needed to go over here, but I guess wins and losses really don't matter in today's WWE.
  • Layla d Michelle McCool in a Loser Leaves WWE match.  They worked really hard, but the crowd didn't care.  Kharma (Kong) debuted after the match to layout McCool.  It was a great debut.
  • Christian d Alberto Del Rio in a Ladder Match to win the World Heavyweight Championship.  Awesome match.  Both men did some crazy (dangerous) spots, especially Del Rio taking a nasty back bump onto a ladder and almost killing himself going over the top rope off a ladder.  Edge celebrated with Christian after the match.
  • The Big Show & Kane d Wade Barrett & Ezekiel Jackson in a Jobber Lumberjack Match to retain the WWE Tag Team Titles.  Awful match.  It looks like they have bigger plans for Zeke than Barrett which is such a huge mistake.
  • John Cena d The Miz and John Morrison in a Steel Cage Match to win the WWE Championship.  Very good match, but much of my attention was taken by the Bin Laden announcement.  Morrison looked really good in the match, but Truth cost him the win.  Truth was also good on this show.  Finish had Cena hit the AA off the 2nd rope on The Miz to pin him and win his TENTH WWE Championship.
Take out the two tag matches, and you had a very strong overall show.

Last week was the WWE Draft, but guess what.... BOTH ROSTERS WILL BE ON TONIGHT'S SHOW!!!

WWE has been advertising tonight as the biggest birthday in entertainment history.  Yeah, I highly doubt that.  However, there are a few things planned for tonight.  Aside from Jim Ross being there, Lillian Garcia, Mae Young, and Ron Simmons will be on the show.  Mick Foley will not be there.  The Miami Heat dancers will be performing and Pitbull will also be performing (not sure if this will be on TV).  They also have a giant birthday cake for The Rock (for Mae Young to come out of?).  And of course, with Cena winning the title last night, we'll have some type of confrontation between the two.  Tonight's show is in Miami, so it will likely be a very pro-Rock crowd.  After tonight's appearance, The Rock is not scheduled for any other appearances in the near future.  After the awful taste they left in most fans' mouths with their last lovefest "confrontation," I really hope they have something better planned for tonight.

The Miz will evoke his rematch clause tonight against Cena.  This can only mean one of two things.  1) The Miz is beat cleanly by Cena.  Or 2) We get a typical crap finish with Cena retaining the title.  Either way, I guess most everyone in the threat will be annoyed (other than The Deek and DSK).  Of course, there is only three weeks until Over The Limit, so this may just be to set up another Cena/Miz match for that show.  However, I have a gut feeling we'll see a fourway at that show also including Morrison and Truth.

Don't forget Tough Enough at 8pm.

Running late.  See you guys back for tonight's show.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Winning at Wrestlemania is the bigger deal. Have Rey lose too much and you won't be able to put anyone else over. Don't Brooklyn Brawler his !%%.
Anyways, I hope we get a Sin Cara vs Cody Rhodes feud next.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Winning at Wrestlemania is the bigger deal. Have Rey lose too much and you won't be able to put anyone else over. Don't Brooklyn Brawler his !%%.
Anyways, I hope we get a Sin Cara vs Cody Rhodes feud next.

I still can't get over Cena winning the title last night..Although I don't like Morrison's gimmick, I think he performed the best in the match and performed the best over the past couple months I've been back into watching wrestling and deserves his run with a belt..

I still can't get over Cena winning the title last night..Although I don't like Morrison's gimmick, I think he performed the best in the match and performed the best over the past couple months I've been back into watching wrestling and deserves his run with a belt..

Punks just not happy with his role within' the company, and rightfully so.

If Punk leaves, I'm done watching.. for real this time.

What's the big deal with people and cm punk?..I don't get why yall love this guy so much..

Originally Posted by hymen man

this. if they release their best overall performer, im done

I will watch tonight. . Expecting a staredown between Cena and Rock..

I also expect someone from fast five to be @ raw..

What's the big deal with people and cm punk?..I don't get why yall love this guy so much..

I will watch tonight. . Expecting a staredown between Cena and Rock..

I also expect someone from fast five to be @ raw..

Originally Posted by hymen man

this. if they release their best overall performer, im done

Originally Posted by casekicks

brilliant on the mic, brilliant in the ring

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

Really?..I don't see it, but to each his own I guess..

Arguably the best wrestler in the WWE and one of the best on the mic. Highly under appreciated and underutilized by management.

If he is released I am officially done with the WWE and I really mean that.

Arguably the best wrestler in the WWE and one of the best on the mic. Highly under appreciated and underutilized by management.

If he is released I am officially done with the WWE and I really mean that.

He's a DC type character in a universe of Marvel characters. (Sans Superman)

Back
Top Bottom