WSJ Article on Nike/JB's marketing methods

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203899504577127042184523410.html

[h1]Nike's Footwork Yields Long Lines[/h1]

[h3]By DANA MATTIOLI[/h3]
Apple Inc. isn't the only company whose products are commanding a premium in a holiday season otherwise marked by steep discounts.

Nike Inc.'s Jordan line of sneakers is drawing iPhone-like lines of buyers despite iPhone-like prices.

The phenomenon underscores the strength of a brand that brings the company about $1 billion a year in sales. But it also reflects a strategic choice by Nike and its major retail outlets like Foot Locker Inc.: keep supplies of hot models limited and time releases for when target customers are in the best position to buy.

Article is just stating the obvious. They've been launching sought after retros in the Holiday season for the last 10 years. Same goes with the Saturday launches coinciding with paydays.

Great read

Thanks OP

I would love to get a job working with Nike researching stats and trends like that. Hadn't thought of it before, but that article has me intrigued.

Originally Posted by vood99

Article is just stating the obvious. They've been launching sought after retros in the Holiday season for the last 10 years. Same goes with the Saturday launches coinciding with paydays.
I've always thought it was genius how jordan releases coincide with my pay days, lol.

On this thread, http://niketalk.com/topic/323933/Still-extremely-upset-with-Jordan-Brand-Nike#.Tv00GjV8CSo there were several members, then one supposed insider, who suggested that it was impossible for Nike to manipulate the consumer, then create the tension that surrounded the holiday release of the Concord XI. Several people, those including myself, stated that it was possible, and this article does support our claim. I do not know if I will ever buy another Jordan shoe, but I can state that with this WSJ article, Nike and Jordan Brand, know exactly what it is that they are doing, and then why.

Nike and Footlocker must be laughing all the way to the bank. This was EXACTLY what they wanted to see happen. Have a desirable shoe, make them limited, and create a buzz or chase, then release them towards the end of the month close to pay day. Although I do match their consumer description, I do not live pay check to pay check. Fortunately (thankfully) I have a career that holds me down financially, so $ is not a big deal.  But it's always great to know you can flip some Jordans for a profit.

So even though there were "restocking" at some stores, I really doubt these are new batches being released from NIKE.

Originally Posted by AKA LONGSTROKE

On this thread,  http://niketalk.com/topic/323933/Still-extremely-upset-with-Jordan-Brand-Nike#.Tv00GjV8CSo there were several members, then one supposed insider, who suggested that it was impossible for Nike to manipulate the consumer, then create the tension that surrounded the holiday release of the Concord XI. Several people, those including myself, stated that it was possible, and this article does support our claim. I do not know if I will ever buy another Jordan shoe, but I can state that with this WSJ article, Nike and Jordan Brand, know exactly what it is that they are doing, and then why.
If you're not buying another Jordan shoe it's because of the low quality and high price - not some silly hype and/or basic marketing strategies.

On this thread,  http://niketalk.com/topic/323933/Still-extremely-upset-with-Jordan-Brand-Nike#.Tv00GjV8CSo there were several members, then one supposed insider, who suggested that it was impossible for Nike to manipulate the consumer, then create the tension that surrounded the holiday release of the Concord XI. Several people, those including myself, stated that it was possible, and this article does support our claim. I do not know if I will ever buy another Jordan shoe, but I can state that with this WSJ article, Nike and Jordan Brand, know exactly what it is that they are doing, and then why.
If you're not buying another Jordan shoe it's because of the low quality and high price - not some silly hype and/or basic marketing strategies.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the so called quality of Jordan shoes. When I see complaints about that here on Nike Talk, I chalk it up to hyperbole, and then a bunch a people who'll follow up with the complaints of so called influential people here as well. I actually play in my kicks, while not setting them up to be looked at, admired by a bunch of fat non ballplayers, http://niketalk.com/topic/324468/LULZ-HOH-XMAS-CAMP-OUT#.Tv4HxzV8CSo  those who like to make fun of people who are not as fortunate as they are.
The hype is insulting enough, but when you finally realize that Nike is targeting a specific demographic, playing to stereotypical behaviours, stooping to conquer, it then turns buying Nike product into a matter of ethics.

On this thread,  httphttp://niketalk.com/topic/323933/Still-extremely-upset-with-Jordan-Brand-Nike#.Tv00GjV8CSo://niketalk.com/topic/323933/Still-extremely-upset-with-Jordan-Brand-Nike#.Tv00GjV8CSo there were several members, then one supposed insider, who suggested that it was impossible for Nike to manipulate the consumer, then create the tension that surrounded the holiday release of the Concord XI. Several people, those including myself, stated that it was possible, and this article does support our claim. I do not know if I will ever buy another Jordan shoe, but I can state that with this WSJ article, Nike and Jordan Brand, know exactly what it is that they are doing, and then why.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the so called quality of Jordan shoes. When I see complaints about that here on Nike Talk, I chalk it up to hyperbole, and then a bunch a people who'll follow up with the complaints of so called influential people here as well. I actually play in my kicks, while not setting them up to be looked at, admired by a bunch of fat non ballplayers,  httphttp://niketalk.com/topic/324468/LULZ-HOH-XMAS-CAMP-OUT#.Tv4HxzV8CSo://niketalk.com/topic/324468/LULZ-HOH-XMAS-CAMP-OUT#.Tv4HxzV8CSo  those who like to make fun of people who are not as fortunate as they are.
The hype is insulting enough, but when you finally realize that Nike is targeting a specific demographic, playing to stereotypical behaviours, stooping to conquer, it then turns buying Nike product into a matter of ethics.

They've been targeting a specific demographic for decades now bro - you of all people should know this due to being an OG (I peeped the thread where you state that you're in your 40s, work for investment company, etc..).  You think the middle class or rich white people made AF1s, AJs, Barkleys, Air Maxes cult classics?

Should Nike continue to act this way seeing as they are a global icon and control the footwear industry? No. But alot of the blame falls on the masses for acting the fool too.

Article shows some successful numbers, no doubt. And i congratulate nike on their success. However, one can't deny that nike could've planed the release of one of their most sought out shoes a little better.

Originally Posted by ccastro02

Article shows some successful numbers, no doubt. And i congratulate nike on their success. However, one can't deny that nike could've planed the release of one of their most sought out shoes a little better.
They could've released the Concords in the middle of summer holidays and there'd be madness.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the so called quality of Jordan shoes. When I see complaints about that here on Nike Talk, I chalk it up to hyperbole, and then a bunch a people who'll follow up with the complaints of so called influential people here as well. I actually play in my kicks, while not setting them up to be looked at, admired by a bunch of fat non ballplayers,  httphttp://niketalk.com/topic/324468/LULZ-HOH-XMAS-CAMP-OUT#.Tv4HxzV8CSo://niketalk.com/topic/324468/LULZ-HOH-XMAS-CAMP-OUT#.Tv4HxzV8CSo  those who like to make fun of people who are not as fortunate as they are.

They've been targeting a specific demographic for decades now bro - you of all people should know this due to being an OG (I peeped the thread where you state that you're in your 40s, work for investment company, etc..).  You think the middle class or rich white people made AF1s, AJs, Barkleys, Air Maxes cult classics?

Should Nike continue to act this way seeing as they are a global icon and control the footwear industry? No. But alot of the blame falls on the masses for acting the fool too.
Not with this intensity they haven't.  Yes, there was a specific socio_economic demographic that wore certain items, parlaying its influence through Hip Hop culture, in which that styling made its way into the lower income White neighborhoods and suburbia, not forgetting the Asian influence of simply collecting shoes, which gave a huge boost to the sneaker industry as a whole, but Nike figured out a way to manipulate these trends. The way they are going about it now, is that you cannot find a pair of retro Jordan's in Greenwich, Connecticut, but you will find them in every store along 125th street in Harlem.
Of course, people are to be responsible for their own actions, but when you study and exploit the stereotypical behaviours of a certain demographic, which the article proves, some will indeed call it good business. However, many astute individuals will call it what it is, and that is exploitation.

There was a time that inside of a Jordan shoe box, it read something about supporting an education initiative.

If held true, and NIKE made sure that it catered to a more intellectually astute audience, I wonder how their shoe sales would make out. 

Not with this intensity they haven't.  Yes, there was a specific socio_economic demographic that wore certain items, parlaying its influence through Hip Hop culture, in which that styling made its way into the lower income White neighborhoods and suburbia, not forgetting the Asian influence of simply collecting shoes, which gave a huge boost to the sneaker industry as a whole, but Nike figured out a way to manipulate these trends. The way they are going about it now, is that you cannot find a pair of retro Jordan's in Greenwich, Connecticut, but you will find them in every store along 125th street in Harlem.
Of course, people are to be responsible for their own actions, but when you study and exploit the stereotypical behaviours of a certain demographic, which the article proves, some will indeed call it good business. However, many astute individuals will call it what it is, and that is exploitation.

There was a time that inside of a Jordan shoe box, it read something about supporting an education initiative.

If held true, and NIKE made sure that it catered to a more intellectually astute audience, I wonder how their shoe sales would make out. 

I hear you and agree with you man. But what you said applies to almost every facet of life - not just Bball sneakers.

Good call out re: the educational initiatives, I haven't seen that displayed anwhere anymore.

You think the middle class or rich white people made AF1s, AJs, Barkleys, Air Maxes cult classics?
air max, yes.  air jordan, only to a certain extent.  the others, no.

vood99 wrote:
I hear you and agree with you man. But what you said applies to almost every facet of life - not just Bball sneakers.

Good call out re: the educational initiatives, I haven't seen that displayed anwhere anymore.

I think that we can both agree that since people ARE fighting over Bball sneakers, then not an education or simple health care, really speaks volumes on the priority of both Nike, Jordan Brand, and their target audience.

I remember that! Now their most covoted shoes are releasing on school days. I took issue with this because a majority of nike's fan base are kids who are still in school. By releasing their most popular model of the year on a week day, i question what their motives are. Why not cater to the age group you're selling to and release these on a weekend so you keep kids in school.

exactly. people always want to fight the good fight BUT only when its against a company they despise. aint that right Coach H? 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom