Yao Ming or Dwight Howard? Who would you take starting a franchise.

laugh.gif
@ the thought of Free Throws being the sole reason why someone isbetter than another.

I guess Yao is better than Shaq ever was then too right?

If I had some other pieces already in place then Yao.
If I'm building a team that will be contenders in 4-5 years then Dwight.

Originally Posted by Pretty Toney

laugh.gif
@ the thought of Free Throws being the sole reason why someone is better than another.

Shaq is a beast, but he's had Kobe + Wade. Teams can afford to sit Shaq down, to avoid hack-a-Shaq come playoff time.

You're telling me you put Kobe on the Rockets or the Magic for the next 5 years, and the Rockets or Magic wouldn't win a 'ship?

When it comes to dominant C's, a legit 2 helps tremendously. But more so for a guy like Shaq + Dwight, who can't hit FT's

Originally Posted by franchise3

laugh.gif
@ the thought of Free Throws being the sole reason why someone is better than another.

Shaq is a beast, but he's had Kobe + Wade. Teams can afford to sit Shaq down, to avoid hack-a-Shaq come playoff time.

You're telling me you put Kobe on the Rockets or the Magic for the next 5 years, and the Rockets or Magic wouldn't win a 'ship?

When it comes to dominant C's, a legit 2 helps tremendously. But more so for a guy like Shaq + Dwight, who can't hit FT's

well no %#!! but what does that have to do with picking yao or howard?

The point is, between these two, if you don't have a legit 2 to help the cause, how do you take Dwight?

Considering his FT liability come crunch time?

What's stopping teams from hacking him and more then likely, throwing up bricks at the line? Just like they did with Shaq?

Averages, numbers, athleticism, don't mean jack if it's 3 mins left in a close game, and you have to sit your 'franchise' player on the benchbecause he's a liability. And everybody knows it.

Averages, numbers, athleticism, don't mean jack if it's 3 mins left in a close game, and you have to sit your 'franchise' player on the bench because he's a liability. And everybody knows it.
And Yao is a liability defensively to give up an easy bucket or commit a stupid foul at the end of a game because he's slow-footed andsluggish. What's your point?

Right now if both are 100% healthy? I'd take Yao.

If you're picking a player based off of potential then you'd take Dwight.

Right now Yao is a more well-rounded player than Dwight. Dwight still has some holes in his game but he is extremely young and will eventually get better.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Averages, numbers, athleticism, don't mean jack if it's 3 mins left in a close game, and you have to sit your 'franchise' player on the bench because he's a liability. And everybody knows it.
And Yao is a liability defensively to give up an easy bucket or commit a stupid foul at the end of a game because he's slow-footed and sluggish. What's your point?

Or he's not, like last night. Icing the game with FT's.

At least he'll be on the court. THAT'S the point.

Dwight on the bench, leaves the lane totally open for the opposition, and takes an offensive threat away at the other end. What's the point then?

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

And Yao is a liability defensively to give up an easy bucket or commit a stupid foul at the end of a game because he's slow-footed and sluggish. What's your point?
took that point away from me

and shaq is a career 52% from the line and howard is 60% thats a HUGE diference and i never seen the magic take howard off the floor in the playoffs cause hecouldnt hit FT. didnt he hit 2 big ones in game 3 VS philly?

im not sure if dwight will ever have a really good offensive gm. im not expecting him to hit jumpers or fadeaways from 10ft, but he needs to develop some sortof inside move, whether a hook/flip shot. right now, he can get away with it because of athleticism.

i always thought you either have it or dont. guys like jermaine oneal, al jefferson had nice footwork and low post gms, really early in their careers (samewith yao) they just needed to develop physically. as for dwight, he is a beast physically, but still so raw on the offensive end. he has been in the league forawhile, and i still dont know what his go to moves would be if you dumped it in and needed a basket. same old, stale Patrick Ewing move?
grin.gif

i will go w/ yao right now. but due to his injuries and all the miles he has on him, i would probably take dwight in a couple yrs.

laugh.gif

Dwight is not Shaq. Shaq had a good post game since he came into the L. He's always been able to get buckets in the paint whether it be overpowering hisdefender or flipping it in with a hook shot or banking it off the glass. Dwight does NOT have a consistent post game right now.

Dwight =/= Shaq

What's stopping teams from hacking him and more then likely, throwing up bricks at the line? Just like they did with Shaq?
isnt there an NBA rule?
laugh.gif
I thought you couldnt do thehack-a-shaq anymore with two minutes left in the game. Your entire argument is based off of the fact the you have to sit Dwight Howard because people willjust foul him. A) I believe it is a technical to do what you are describing in the last two minutes when a player doesnt have the ball and B) if you dont wanthim to go to the line in the last two minutes you could just not pound it down to him for two minutes, BUT he WILL still be on the defensive end clogging thelane.

Im pretty sure id rather take an aggressive Dwight Howard who will be a better player for 46 minutes than a player who will be more beneficial in the last twominutes of the game because of free throws.

Based on your argument you've pretty much stated that Yao is better than Shaq, Wilt, and Tim Duncan.

Everything is moot, no matter what Dwight brings to the table, if it's a close game, or a close playoff game and you can't leave him in there.
yes you can.....and they do.....and they will continue to........

Originally Posted by Scottsauce88

isnt there an NBA rule?
laugh.gif
I thought you couldnt do the hack-a-shaq anymore with two minutes left in the game. Your entire argument is based off of the fact the you have to sit Dwight Howard because people will just foul him. A) I believe it is a technical to do what you are describing in the last two minutes when a player doesnt have the ball and B) if you dont want him to go to the line in the last two minutes you could just not pound it down to him for two minutes, BUT he WILL still be on the defensive end clogging the lane.

Im pretty sure id rather take an aggressive Dwight Howard who will be a better player for 46 minutes than a player who will be more beneficial in the last two minutes of the game because of free throws.

Based on your argument you've pretty much stated that Yao is better than Shaq, Wilt, and Tim Duncan.
How exactly is Dwight Howard better than Yao right now? He has no consistent offensive game other than dunking the ball when he's within afoot of the basket, put backs, and alleyoops. If he catches the ball outside of 5ft, he's more than likely to pass the ball or brick it. Yeah Dwight grabsa few more boards and blocks a few more shots. Overall though, I believe Yao is a better player and I'd rather have him on my team. He's leaps andbounds better than Dwight on the offensive end (it's not close) and he's no slouch on the defensive end either. Being 7'6 allows you to change alot of shots even if you don't necessarily block them.

Yao isn't a better player than Shaq. Can't speak on Wilt since I didn't watch him play. Tim Duncan is a POWER FORWARD.
indifferent.gif

How exactly is Dwight Howard better than Yao right now? He has no consistent offensive game other than dunking the ball when he's within a foot of the basket, put backs, and alleyoops. If he catches the ball outside of 5ft, he's more than likely to pass the ball or brick it. Yeah Dwight grabs a few more boards and blocks a few more shots. Overall though, I believe Yao is a better player and I'd rather have him on my team. He's leaps and bounds better than Dwight on the offensive end (it's not close) and he's no slouch on the defensive end either. Being 7'6 allows you to change a lot of shots even if you don't necessarily block them.

I like how everyone makes Dwight Howard out to be a terrible offensive player. Yeah, Ill agree he doesnt have great footwork, but neither doesYao. Yao is a damn good shooter for a big man but im not picking a center on the fact that he can shoot because most great centers cant. Somehow DwightHoward's measly offensive game manages to get him 20ppg. Somehow having an athletic Howard allows you to play any style you want whether it is slowing thetempo down or speeding it up. You cant do that with Yao, he gets too damn tired, as he should. Howard is a FAR better defender than Yao, he rebounds betterand statistically speaking he is better in every single category other than damn free throw percentage. Not to mention he plays more than half a season.....

I honestly dont see how you take Yao over Dwight at this point.

Tim Duncan is a POWER FORWARD.
indifferent.gif

obviously the analogy went way over your head

laugh.gif

A. 19.7 ppg B. 20.6
9.9 rpg 13.8
1.8 apg 1.4
.4 spg 1.0
2.0 bpg 2.9
86% FT 54%

dude listed this years stats like it was a clear cut decision and as if dwights avg's blew yao out of the water. He forgot to list the ft%

those stats are pretty damn similar.

dwight clearly grabs 4 more boards a game and yao is clearly money from the charity stripe.

I want a real damn center. Yao has an answer for every kind of defender he faces. If he gets bullied, he will shoot over them. If he gets position his jumphook is solid. What does dwight do offensively? that stupid running hook? *@+% outta here with that.

Originally Posted by C5A5D5A5

laugh.gif

A. 19.7 ppg B. 20.6
9.9 rpg 13.8
1.8 apg 1.4
.4 spg 1.0
2.0 bpg 2.9
86% FT 54%

dude listed this years stats like it was a clear cut decision and as if dwights avg's blew yao out of the water. He forgot to list the ft%

those stats are pretty damn similar.

dwight clearly grabs 4 more boards a game and yao is clearly money from the charity stripe.

I want a real damn center. Yao has an answer for every kind of defender he faces. If he gets bullied, he will shoot over them. If he gets position his jump hook is solid. What does dwight do offensively? that stupid running hook? *@+% outta here with that.

where the hell did you pull 54% from?

Originally Posted by Scottsauce88

How exactly is Dwight Howard better than Yao right now? He has no consistent offensive game other than dunking the ball when he's within a foot of the basket, put backs, and alleyoops. If he catches the ball outside of 5ft, he's more than likely to pass the ball or brick it. Yeah Dwight grabs a few more boards and blocks a few more shots. Overall though, I believe Yao is a better player and I'd rather have him on my team. He's leaps and bounds better than Dwight on the offensive end (it's not close) and he's no slouch on the defensive end either. Being 7'6 allows you to change a lot of shots even if you don't necessarily block them.
Somehow Dwight Howard's measly offensive game manages to get him 20ppg.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
This is what I don't understand. For someone who is soooooo poor offensively...he's still putting up 21 a game.

Dwight.

Has the athleticism and size to dominant on that alone.

He's developed a better post game over the past couple seasons.

Once he can shoot a better FT% and develop a shot on the floor, he'll be unstoppable.

Back
Top Bottom