∞HBO: "True Detective: Night Country" (Late 2023)...Season 4 Set in Alaska…Starring Jodie Foster…Barry Jenkins Producing∞

How would you grade Season II of "True Detective" ?

• A

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • B

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • C

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • D

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • F

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
My assumption is that we're supposed to expect that. Basically Hays wanted to let this end and give Julie her peace, but the implication is that his son will give the address to the reporter and keep the whole thing going.

I mean yea..

But I figured the reporter had some sort of connection to the whole thing.. since we now know the pink room wasn't used for what we were assuming it was used for

The finale was definitely underwhelming. Too many things were way too convenient... All these years of searching, and then they spend 5 minutes searching the Hoyt house and find the pink room, then spend 10 minutes with the one-eyed guy and get everything explained (except the nun twist), and then Hays finally reads 2 lines of the book and his ghost wife spends 2 minutes telling him the rest.

The acting was great though. I like the idea that the crime itself was not really a big conspiracy but all it took was a couple enablers to hide the truth for all these years.

Very underwhelming finale. So Julie and Mike had a relationship and a kid and named her Julie. The Nuns faked her death so she can live in peace.

All of a sudden they found the pink room that easy from a abandon mansion 25 years later.

Still don’t know how Amelia died, guess they left us all season thinking her death was a bigger part to the story.

Hayes finds the page about Mike ardoin in Amelias book after he knocks it down.

Wayne and Roland both basically conceded that they definitely didn’t do the best job they could have when they were at the gravestone...Saying Julie deserved better than what they gave...

For me the overall focus of the season wasn’t on the case but on Wayne and Roland and how fundamentally flawed they were in their personal lives, and ultimately as detectives...The last bit with Wayne actually tracking Julie down only to forget as he got to her really drove that flawed point across for me...

But I figured the reporter had some sort of connection to the whole thing.. since we now know the pink room wasn't used for what we were assuming it was used for
Yeah it feels pretty disappointing for all that build-up with the reporter and then they don't even touch upon it in the finale.

What comes to mind is "The Sound and Fury." This season (and perhaps season 1 as well) had a Faulkner-esque vibe to it, and turns out much of what happened signified nothing.

edit:

The last bit with Wayne actually tracking Julie down only to forget as he got to her really drove that flawed point across for me...

yup. So my assessment is shifting from "disappointing" to "poetic" (but still a little disappointing).

Yea last episode just seemed rushed to fit everything in one finale.

So after the meeting with Hoyt in the woods, he’s stop pursuing the case and quits and it shows in the beginning scene of him and Amelia at the school.What happened with Hoyt? I must’ve missed in earlier in the season.

Yea last episode just seemed rushed to fit everything in one finale.

So after the meeting with Hoyt in the woods, he’s stop pursuing the case and quits and it shows in the beginning scene of him and Amelia at the school.What happened with Hoyt? I must’ve missed in earlier in the season.

Hoyt passed away a few years before 2015 or something like that...

His meeting with Hoyt and the murder of his Security guy (Forgot his name) opened Wayne’s eyes to the truth of the situation...I mean Hoyt threatening his family could look like the cause for him dropping everything on the surface, but ultimately I think he finally just realized that what he was doing wasn’t serving any type of purpose other than to drag him and his family down...

So he quit his job and lived an ultimately happy life until his wife passed away...They put this point across with the scene where he was watching and smiling as his wife was teaching her class in their kind of older years...

Underwhelming but I enjoyed it. Finale basically summed up the whole season. Whole case solved in the first 30 min. The rest digging into Hays and West. Different approach, I dig it :hat

Feels like this should have been the second to last episode.. just felt like a lot was left in the wind

Penultimate episode is normally the most "action packed" of all HBO series. This finale falls in line with most other series.

Very easily could have had parts of tonight's episode in last week's.. which would then allow at least closing things built upon all season

Doesn't have to be definitive answers but at least acknowledge em

I’m just glad there was no crazy twist or anything. Would have cheapened everything. Some stones are better left unturned.

In a season where the actual crime was secondary to the performances by Ali and Dorff, I’m glad the finale stuck with the theme. People wanted season 1 again and I think they got a little taste of that. A big conspiracy all over again would have been bad imo. Sometimes there is no big payoff. This season was all about character development

Daddario been my #1 celeb girl since the Percy Jackson days

Something so damn attractive about her. Largely in part to those big, glass blue eyes. Look at me...I’m sprung. They out to get me...

I think folks are underwhelmed because of their expectations, which I totally understand given what we’ve come to expect from True Detective. But the story itself was great.

How ironic is it that this detective spent so many years trying to find a lost girl, and in the end she helps him find his way as a lost, old man? That **** is poetic.

Best part of the finale was the HBO opening montage previewing all of their upcoming content.

Season was disappointing to me. The two leads were great it just seemed to severely lack direction. Shame.

I completely get how folks could be underwhelmed.

I enjoyed though. Didn't feel the need for there to be a big conspiracy payoff type ending.

Back
Top Bottom