🎾 OFFICIAL AGASSI RETRO THREAD - ATC II 2024 Hot Lava and 2025 Pink Racer🎾

Sounds like you might know. What do you think? Curious to eventually hear (maybe?) why Nike scrapped this collection. They could probably put out a 90's retro collection once a year and do as well with it as they did in 2020. Even a small portion mixed in with the season's regular offerings.

My opinion on why it was scrapped, was due to the introduction of the Naomi Osaka line.

Nike introduced the GP Turbo's with the 2020 Agassi retro.

But about six months into 2021, they sort of pivoted and started pushing them as an Osaka shoe.

They started mass-producing Osaka street-inspired gear for both men and women.

Unfortunately this hasn't really worked-out as Osaka has essentially taken a sabbatical from tennis.

Which has lead to a noticeable decline in her gear sales.

Last edited:
It’s ok CHillTennis CHillTennis I can tell them. Basically they did a focus group of tennis consumers and got feedback on what color way would be most sought after for an ATC retro release from 1991.

The overwhelming response was for kiwi. Since kiwi is obviously the better color way. :rofl:

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea why Nike would cancel a 2021 release. It’s not the first time though. Wasn’t there an Alarm retro that was scrapped too?

FCDA7FBF-87E8-4F6D-9BA8-9BBAB9792ACE.jpeg

Kiwi is the best color 4 though..

They actually scrapped part of the 2020 release. We never got the fireball shorts in the university red colorway, the challenge court sleeveless shirts, the fireball tee in the citrus orange colorway or the ones that had the logo with the stripes inside of the box.

My opinion on why it was scrapped was because of the introduction of the Naomi Osaka line.

Nike introduced the GP Turbo's with the 2020 Agassi retro but about six months into 2021 they sort of pivoted and started pushing them as an Osaka shoe.

They started mass-producing Osaka street-inspired gear for both men and women.

Unfortunately for Nike, this hasn't worked out as well as they would have hoped, because she has essentially taken a sabbatical from tennis.

Her gear sales have subsequently not been helped by her absence from the game.

Seems possible. I wouldn’t put anything past Nike when it comes to poor decision making. But even if the first year+ of GP/Osaka was gonna kind of intermingle with Agassi stuff, they surely thought she would continue to flourish, as you said. So you gotta figure they would’ve really continued to differentiate the Osaka line, and there would’ve been room for more Agassi.

Similar to how there have been times when Nadal, Blake and others did tribute/homage to Agassi. But it never became their definitive look.

I dunno, a bummer regardless

I wonder if Agassi has an ample supply of ATC20 with a call to Nike or just like 5 in his closet he can pull out.

Sinner Sinner

What was in the pics you posted? Links are dead

Im gonna go ahead and assume it was a full slate of upcoming Agassi retros right?...RIGHT?

Sinner Sinner

What was in the pics you posted? Links are dead

Im gonna go ahead and assume it was a full slate of upcoming Agassi retros right?...RIGHT?
They were pics of the Pickleball Slam.

I just tried loading the post on a separate device and the pics loaded.
They're straight from Getty Images.
Perhaps you can try reloading again and see if they show up?

Back
Top Bottom