🎾 Official Nike Tennis (and other brands as well) Thread 🎾

She is pregnant...
She cannot play :emoji_joy:
Also she is the newer player so it would make more sense for them to push more of her products.
Keep it 100 if it wasn't for Kanye and the Yeezy 2 the 99% of people that like shoes wouldn't know anything about Agassi and his shoes.

Even before she was pregnant, she didn't care much for playing. I think she's basically finished with tennis.

I'm not sure what you mean about Kanye and the Yeezy's.

A lot of people know about Agassi's shoes, because they either bought them (back in the day) or followed tennis in the 90s and saw them on Andre.

Even before she was pregnant, she didn't care much for playing. I think she's basically finished with tennis.

I'm not sure what you mean about Kanye and the Yeezy's.

A lot of people know about Agassi's shoes, because they either bought them (back in the day) or followed tennis in the 90s and saw them on Andre.
Before she was pregnant, she didn’t care about much about playing tennis? So how do you justify winning 4 GS? I’m sure that means she had to care before right, training pretty much everyday. Sure, maybe she felt a little burnt out but that doesn’t necessarily mean she didn’t care.

Before she was pregnant, she didn’t care about much about playing tennis? So how do you justify winning 4 GS? I’m sure that means she had to care before right, training pretty much everyday. Sure, maybe she felt a little burnt out but that doesn’t necessarily mean she didn’t care.

The time period that I was referring to was from the 2021 French Open up until she announced her pregnancy.

Tennis was her meal ticket, up until a certain point.

But she's a big enough name today, that she doesn't really need to win matches any longer in order to make a great living.

According to what I've read, she's the second highest earning tennis player of last year.

Keep in mind, she played like half of a season in 2022.

There's bigger money for her in being a "victim of mental health issues" (or whatever crap they want to come up with) than in being a great tennis player.

Last edited:
The time period that I was referring to was from the 2021 French Open up until she announced her pregnancy.

Tennis was her meal ticket, up until a certain point.

But she's a big enough name today, that she doesn't really need to win matches any longer in order to make a great living.

According to what I've read, she's the second highest earning tennis player of last year.

Keep in mind, she played like half of a season in 2022.

There's bigger money for her in being a "victim of mental health issues" (or whatever crap they want to come up with) than in being a great tennis player.
Just say that you like Agassi better than Osaka because you are making no sense. She is not playing a “victim of mental health” or anything. There is no way that you can tell me that she will earn more money doing other things than winning Grand Slams.

Just say that you like Agassi better than Osaka because you are making no sense. She is not playing a “victim of mental health” or anything. There is no way that you can tell me that she will earn more money doing other things than winning Grand Slams.

Iga Swiatek, who finished last year ranked #1 in the world (and won two grand slam titles in 2022) cleared just under $10,000,000 in prize money.

Naomi Osaka, who played only half of the season (and did not win a grand slam title in 2022) made more than five times as much money as the #1 player in the world.

That pretty much indicates where the real money comes from in professional tennis and it's not from winning the grand slams.

The slams are like the icing on the cake.

The cake is in the endorsements and contracts.

Federer's deal with Uniqlo is worth more than his entire playing career combine.

Iga Swiatek, who finished last year ranked #1 in the world (and won two grand slam titles in 2022) cleared just under $10,000,000 in prize money.

Naomi Osaka, who played only half of the season (and did not win a grand slam title in 2022) made more than five times as much money as the #1 player in the world.

That pretty much indicates where the real money comes from in professional tennis and it's not from winning the grand slams.

The slams are like the icing on the cake.

The cake is in the endorsements and contracts.

Federer's deal with Uniqlo is worth more than his entire playing career combine.
You get the endorsements and contracts from winning Grand Slams.
If Federer did not win as much as he did he would not have gotten that contract from Uniqlo nor ON Running.
Either way we get it. You want your retro Agassi gear and you are mad that Nike went with the arguably most popular tennis athlete since Serena in Naomi Osaka instead of releasing Agassi gear.
Naomi Osaka will get more people into wearing Nike tennis gear than Agassi will. Don't even try to tell me that younger people would really want Agassi gear over Osaka.

You get the endorsements and contracts from winning Grand Slams.
If Federer did not win as much as he did he would not have gotten that contract from Uniqlo nor ON Running.
Either way we get it. You want your retro Agassi gear and you are mad that Nike went with the arguably most popular tennis athlete since Serena in Naomi Osaka instead of releasing Agassi gear.
Naomi Osaka will get more people into wearing Nike tennis gear than Agassi will. Don't even try to tell me that younger people would really want Agassi gear over Osaka.

Sure..and Godzilla will come back from the dead to destroy Tokyo. :rolleyes:

Osaka's stuff doesn't sell outside of Japan.

I mean you can't be serious, man.

Sure..and Godzilla will come back from the dead to destroy Tokyo. :rolleyes:

Osaka's stuff doesn't sell outside of Japan.

I mean you can't be serious, man.
That's how I know I won this argument.
You on here talking about Godzilla instead of tennis LMFAO!!!
Please tell me that a younger person is going to want Agassi's gear over Osaka's.
I mean if Agassi was walking down the street the average person wouldn't even know who he is.
We get it you love Agassi a lot man. It's ok but Osaka will get more sales than Agassi.

That's how I know I won this argument.
You on here talking about Godzilla instead of tennis LMFAO!!!
Please tell me that a younger person is going to want Agassi's gear over Osaka's.
I mean if Agassi was walking down the street the average person wouldn't even know who he is.
We get it you love Agassi a lot man. It's ok but Osaka will get more sales than Agassi.

Laughs. This has absolutely nothing to do with me or my personal tastes.

I have provided you with solid facts.

You have yet to provide any evidence to the contrary.

What can you say to disprove what I've said?

What facts can you bring to the table?

Last edited:

Sorry to mess with this nonsense but if you say that nike prefers Osaka line instead of Agassi reissue is the main point here, they have the numbers and might know better the groups they want to attract.
I remember seeing some discounted Agassi reissues back in 2020 so the sales might be great for the people who craves for this nostalgic items but not for the bast mayority that like the clothes but dont have big recognition of Agassi <25 years... I think this items are great now and then but not for everyone and every year since the demografics nike is aiming for are more new young costumers that might prefer this "ugly and missmatched" patterns because there is a hype regarding this "pastels" shades and keep them satisfied for 10 + years than 45 and up people (Challenger line have close to 30 years!!!) that might have another mind set for buying or just move to another more subtle or comfortable brand like asics or Lacoste because is more functional... just to mention a few examples not bashing.
Also remember someone in the forums asking for the same denim shorts released in 1992 instead of the flex nike have at the time which is insane and kind of weird since is like asking for tech innovation in fabrics to stop and hope new costumers will like that... and obviously no! I understand is not your liking ANY of this 3 years but for some of us there a few nice pick ups that are new and a bit subtle like SU22 or Rafa last year from summer and the day of USO was really nice.
I'm really, really bored from the shades of volt every year but I'm not bashing every time with the same "Why nike keep releasing this color instead of (Insert Agassi comment here)" and the answer is simple Nike prefer new costumers that move with the trend than competing with more brands that appeal the demographic challenge aims for

Sorry to mess with this nonsense but if you say that nike prefers Osaka line instead of Agassi reissue is the main point here, they have the numbers and might know better the groups they want to attract.
I remember seeing some discounted Agassi reissues back in 2020 so the sales might be great for the people who craves for this nostalgic items but not for the bast mayority that like the clothes but dont have big recognition of Agassi <25 years... I think this items are great now and then but not for everyone and every year since the demografics nike is aiming for are more new young costumers that might prefer this "ugly and missmatched" patterns because there is a hype regarding this "pastels" shades and keep them satisfied for 10 + years than 45 and up people (Challenger line have close to 30 years!!!) that might have another mind set for buying or just move to another more subtle or comfortable brand like asics or Lacoste because is more functional... just to mention a few examples not bashing.
Also remember someone in the forums asking for the same denim shorts released in 1992 instead of the flex nike have at the time which is insane and kind of weird since is like asking for tech innovation in fabrics to stop and hope new costumers will like that... and obviously no! I understand is not your liking ANY of this 3 years but for some of us there a few nice pick ups that are new and a bit subtle like SU22 or Rafa last year from summer and the day of USO was really nice.
I'm really, really bored from the shades of volt every year but I'm not bashing every time with the same "Why nike keep releasing this color instead of (Insert Agassi comment here)" and the answer is simple Nike prefer new costumers that move with the trend than competing with more brands that appeal the demographic challenge aims for

What is the average age of the people that buy tennis apparel?

Under 30 or over 30?

What is the average age of the people that buy tennis apparel?

Under 30 or over 30?
Nike tennis clothes? Recently I say and see under 30... due to the new trends from recent years.
And thats why they keep making it! They prefer to compete and aim for more young people who might be willing to buy trendy colors and patterns for the next few years, than people who might move to other brands or have more options or needs... as mentioned, some people who liked Agassi will put the new 2 in 1 shorts and might find them uncomfortable or fitting in VP11 in a new Agassi colorway might be too much if you can pick another shoe that fit you better and perform better for that person, again those releases have 30 years! And thats a lot. Thats the point

Nike tennis clothes? Recently I say and see under 30... due to the new trends from recent years.
And thats why they keep making it! They prefer to compete and aim for more young people who might be willing to buy trendy colors and patterns for the next few years, than people who might move to other brands or have more options or needs... as mentioned, some people who liked Agassi will put the new 2 in 1 shorts and might find them uncomfortable or fitting in VP11 in a new Agassi colorway might be too much if you can pick another shoe that fit you better and perform better for that person, again those releases have 30 years! And thats a lot. Thats the point

I hate to break it to you but it's definitely over 30.

The baby boomers account for a lot of the sales in tennis apparel. As does Gen X.

People that are 18-24 years old (generally speaking) aren't making enough money to buy this stuff in any kind of significant quantity.

Last edited:

You love Agassi man and got a problem with Osaka. Just accept it.
Drop a link to the sales of Agassi gear vs Osaka gear.
Since you provided facts it should be easy!

You love Agassi man and got a problem with Osaka. Just accept it.
Drop a link to the sales of Agassi gear vs Osaka gear.
Since you provided facts it should be easy!

That's how I know that I won this argument.
I've been giving you the facts right along and you haven't been able to provide anything to the contrary.

The real problem is that only in Nike's thick head is this an either/or situation.

It would make perfect sense to hype Osaka for a younger and more female demographic. And simultaneously keep the steady drip-feed of coveted retro gear for the old heads. These are obviously different markets, and Nike could have their cake and eat it too.

Instead we get multi year droughts of quality retro, and underhyped underdesigned gear for a young player who's basically already retired

Frankly, Nike Tennis as a whole is in a prolonged malaise

I got ZERO dog in this fight. All I will say to S Sebastiago , for the most part, all the Challenge Court stuff sold out. Yes, some stuff actually reached discount but it was the oddball sizes, S shirts & shorts, or 2X or 3X shirts and jackets. These are sizes that never sell out. The M, L, XL all were gone. Especially those warmup pants that went with the jacket, the demin shorts, the denim jacket. They were scarce.

I got a pair of the Agassi spandex shorts. Had a flaw, as they were torn. Couldn't send them back as they had none left. Got a credit from Nike for a future purchase and found the last pair on an online tennis shop. So for the most part, it was Nike's most successful launch of production in a long while. I'll see myself out now.

The Agassi 1990 US Open line was finally brought back because of how poor Nike’s tennis sakes were. The article below mentions poor shoe sales but obviously the collection was really clothing except the Gp Turbo and Vapor X inspired by his line. It was obviously a huge success , and Nike tennis hasn’t seen clothing sell out like rhat since Andre played. At the time the online tennis stores had trouble answering the phone it was in such high demand. This isn’t debatable. Tennis sites discount new lines before the current Slams are even over.

Via Cnbc:

“The collection comes at a time when U.S. sales of tennis shoes are down in the single digits. Nike has a 26% share of the tennis footwear category, which made up just $35 million of $22 billion U.S. sports footwear industry last year, according to NPD Group.”

“Even the number one sports apparel company wasn't immune to the impact from Covid-19. The company saw revenue fall 38% in the latest quarter after 90% of its stores were forced to close during the worst of the pandemic.”

Last edited:
The real problem is that only in Nike's thick head is this an either/or situation.

It would make perfect sense to hype Osaka for a younger and more female demographic. And simultaneously keep the steady drip-feed of coveted retro gear for the old heads. These are obviously different markets, and Nike could have their cake and eat it too.

Instead we get multi year droughts of quality retro, and underhyped underdesigned gear for a young player who's basically already retired

Frankly, Nike Tennis as a whole is in a prolonged malaise
This right here. 100% Nike could do both.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom