🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

They consider Drake the "best" rapper simply because he's selling the most records.
Lol Nah man, you really think that's the only reason why people think Drake is the best or one of the best rappers then, i'ma just leave it at that. This ain't "just" about sales.

I'm not arguing for or against Drake. My opinion on Drake has nothing to do with this. But if you step outside of yourself, you'll see that by and large, a lot of people still think of Drake as a Rapper, and think of him as one of the best rappers at that, writing allegations aside.
He's one of the better rappers out right now but the constant use of "Best" to describe dude is too much.

The grand majority of hip hop heads would take Kendrick or Cole over Drake any day and the sole reason has less to do with his bars but more to do with his lack of content.

He mostly makes party music and he's good , maybe even great at it but that alone doesn't get you in people's top 5/10 lists.

Last edited:

He's one of the better rappers out right now but the constant use of "Best" to describe dude is too much.

The grand majority of hip hop heads would take Kendrick or Cole over Drake anybody and the sole reason has less to do with his bars but more to do with his lack of content.

He mostly makes party music and he's good and maybe even great at it but that alone doesn't get you in people's top 5/10 lists.
Drake mostly makes party music? I mean I guess, (This isn't really true) but his reputation is not derived from his party records. That is not why people place him with Kendrick and Cole. 

So We'll see. He's firmly entrenched as one of the best 3 rappers now by most accounts,  and his trajectory suggest that when it's all set and done he could very well be viewed as one of the best rappers ever. Ultimately the answer to this can't be found for another half decade or so.

I remember glancing at that list and I believe everything after 2000 lined up with who sold the most records that year.

I said he's like Diddy and Dre I the sense of being a part time rapper, which he says so himself. As a pop star/artist or whatever he's Kanye in his prime. And they did the exact same with him. No real hip hop fan would suggest Ye is top 5 or 10 ever. It's absurd and that's with him not trying to hide his penmanship.

Hell they had Nicki Manaj as the best of 2014. I mean c'mon.
I keep telling you man, you missing my point bro.

Nicki Minaj is a terrible rapper, but a lot of people think she's one of, if not the best female rapper ever. That's what complex represents. To a degree, they are representative of Hip-Hop culture whether you like it or not. This isn't about complex, it's about how the culture at large views (no pun) someone like Drake and we the people, can use Complex as one of (not the only) the barometers to see what the culture at large thinks of certain rappers, including Drake.

Last edited:
"Got the billboard melodies, rap is something I do on the side..."

Drake is over this rap ****. He's a pop star now.
He killed that verse too. A1 Drizzy on that one.

However, if y'all serious then y'all taking that verse way too literal 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Drake mostly makes party music? I mean I guess, (This isn't really true) but his reputation is not derived from his party records. That is not why people place him with Kendrick and Cole. 

So We'll see. He's firmly entrenched as one of the best 3 rappers now by most accounts,  and his trajectory suggest that when it's all set and done he could very well be viewed as one of the best rappers ever. Ultimately the answer to this can't be found for another half decade or so.
You're right, calling the majority of his music party records is excessive but it's definitely closer to pop music than it is traditional hiphop.

You're right, calling the majority of his music party records is excessive but it's definitely closer to pop music than it is traditional hiphop.
That's all subjective and how you ultimately view Drake's music.

Drake still raps enough on his albums, mixtapes, and features to suggest that he's very much a rapper TO ME.

However, that's not what I was getting at. What i'm trying to say is that the culture at large, still views Drake as a rapper, in fact they still view him as one of the best rappers and as his career goes on, there's a solid chance that he'll be one of the all timers when it's all set and done as a rapper. (For a myriad of reasons, not just sales)

Complex doesn't represent the culture though don't know why you keep saying they do. Again who are the people that would give them credence? I think as an entity they're full of **** on just about everything especially sports and music in particular, but humor me.

Complex doesn't represent the culture though don't know why you keep saying they do. Again who are the people that would give them credence? I think as an entity they're full of **** on just about everything especially sports and music in particular, but humor me.
Hell Artist and record labels give Complex credence all the time, (Even though that's a bit tainted for sure. $$$) and that automatically gives them a certain validity within the culture, no? Even if you agree or disagree with what they're saying, their opinions, or "shock journalism" as you referred to it as, do move the needle to a degree. I

The personalities at Hot 97, and Breakfast club have mentioned complex on several occasions. Beyond that idk, but that's kind of the gist that I was getting at. That Complex, along with breakfast club, and along with a plethora of other outlets help form a sort of consensus on how the people at large feel about Hip-Hop.

Maybe that's just my viewpoint, but when I hear and read about the happenings of culture, they play a part in that.

That's all subjective and how you ultimately view Drake's music.

Drake still raps enough on his albums, mixtapes, and features to suggest that he's very much a rapper TO ME.

However, that's not what I was getting at. What i'm trying to say is that the culture at large, still views Drake as a rapper, in fact they still view him as one of the best rappers and as his career goes on, there's a solid chance that he'll be one of the all timers when it's all set and done as a rapper. (For a myriad of reasons, not just sales)
All of this is your opinion bro, not "the cultures".  There's absolutely nothing wrong with this opinion but you keep trying to project it as though it's something that can easily be fact checked and it ultimately isn't because it's all based on opinion.

In my opinion "the culture" only elevates Kendrick and Cole into best rapper conversations.  Drake might have had consideration 3-5 years ago but as of recent the majority of people that listen to hiphop, not just the general public who only listen to whatever the radio plays 60 times a day, don't consider Drake the best rapper in the world.

All of this is your opinion bro, not "the cultures".  There's absolutely nothing wrong with this opinion but you keep trying to project it as though it's something that can easily be fact checked and it ultimately isn't because it's all based on opinion.

In my opinion "the culture" only elevates Kendrick and Cole into best rapper conversations.  Drake might have had consideration 3-5 years ago but as of recent the majority of people that listen to hiphop, not just the general public who only listen to whatever the radio plays 60 times a day, don't consider Drake the best rapper in the world.
This isn't just "my" opinion though.

Charlamagne the God now has a voice in Hip-Hop culture (I don't know why) and he firmly has always had Drake in that top three tier with Cole and Kendrick.

Basketball players all say Drake is the best out for the most part, and NBA Basketball culture and Hip-Hop culture are lowkey synonymous with one another. 

I already brought up Complex, but you can disagree with that on the validity of it if you want. Culture is a pretty ambiguous term I will concede that so I guess this is all opinion. Who I believe may be a litmus for culture may not be what you see, so okay.

Y'all have a good one though, I'm out. 

Last edited:
The people who hold on tight to that writing stuff don't have a major stake in discussion when it comes to 'top' whatever lists. If they did, we'd be here ranking the most lyrical rappers, it's clearly about the overall career. Jay #1 undoubtably off of longevity/rhymes/classics etc. Jay has also never been a high seller like that, but the quality is still there. To say Drake wont be brought up in discussion for 'top' anything lists is false. How he shifted the game alone puts him in that conversation.

Proposition Joe Proposition Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
What ShoeKing is saying is sad, but very true.

When you step back and look at it from the everyday fan perspective.....what he's saying is very true.

The people who hold on tight to that writing stuff don't have a major stake in discussion when it comes to 'top' whatever lists. If they did, we'd be here ranking the most lyrical rappers, it's clearly about the overall career. Jay #1 undoubtably off of longevity/rhymes/classics etc. Jay has also never been a high seller like that, but the quality is still there. To say Drake wont be brought up in discussion for 'top' anything lists is false. How he shifted the game alone puts him in that conversation.

Based on your criteria for Jay-Z, explain to me how Drake is better than Prodigy,?

Longevity , bars and classics are head and shoulders above anything Drake will ever do.

That's just one rapper from Queens.

Yall talk about ghostwriting but hot Kanye and Lil Wayne in some of y'all top ten :lol:

The fact that even got Future close to top 10 is hilarious.

Then again music is subjective.

Last edited:

Based on your criteria for Jay-Z, explain to me how Drake is better than Prodigy,?

Longevity , bars and classics are head and shoulders above anything Drake will ever do.

That's just one rapper from Queens.

Prodigys most memorable verse is Shook Ones pt. 2, love or hate Drake, people are always checking for that new Drake verse. Longevity doesnt just mean being in the game for a long time, but being relevant too. Jay has always been top 5 in relevancy through any era. Drake is trending to go down that same path so far. Forget sales, look how far Drake has come in 6 years in terms of rank in the game (overall).

Someone who has managed to stay relevant even after their big run is Fabolous...just an example

Someone who has managed to stay relevant even after their big run is Fabolous...just an example

Staying revelation on IG and SC counts?

Fab? What song he dropped lately that's in rotation in the last 5 years.

Don't get me wrong that Soul Tape was dope. But nobody is checking for Fab fam :lol:

Last edited:

Staying revelation on IG and SC counts?

Fab? What song he dropped lately that's in rotation in the last 5 years.

Don't get me wrong that Soul Tape was dope. But nobody is checking for Fab fam :lol:

He's not at the forefront of the game but trust me people still check for Fab...surprising to me too but it's not farfetched at all

Complex staff consist of only 4 blacks out of 24 people total.
Pitch fork only has 4 black writers out of 44 total.
Vice -ZERO
Rolling Stone- zero
Noisey- 2 blacks out of 25 total
Buzzfeed- 4 blacks out of 94

This is why I don't care about any of those articles or ******** metric scores y'all be posting. A majority group of hipsters is not going to tell me what's good hiphop and what's not

Proposition Joe Proposition Joe

Who has a major stake in the discussion? The magazine and articles you guys post? These people?

Back
Top Bottom