šŸ¦‰The Official Drake Thread6ļøāƒ£ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

This donā€™t really make sense because itā€™s not how the RIAA tracks units. RIAA has always been kinda weird because it went off of albums ā€œshipped outā€ meaning you didnā€™t actually have to sell those albums to an end consumer for it to count. Nobody was forced to buy those 500k copies for you to get gold. For that reason alone a lot of people in the industry (going back to the early 90s) have never cared about ā€œgoldā€, ā€œplatinumā€ RIAA **** because it wasnā€™t even based on actual sales. _ā€™s wanna see Soundscans

Dudes was out here going ā€œgoldā€ off albums shipped out, only to have a big portion of those same unsold units get shipped back to labels by the record stores so they can get credits :lol: Thatā€™s why as sales went down they started pressing up less **** and then you had artists complaining about their project being ā€œunder shippedā€

Itā€™s just really look good for the fans honestly. And I do think on one hand itā€™s lil more watered down because _ā€™s really donā€™t have to buy that **** now lol you go gold off people simply listening to your **** but I repped you because I 100% agree it had to change to adjust with the times.
I am not making a claim about the precision of tracking in the 90s, I am saying that consumers have more ways to consume music in 2018 than in 1994, and I am saying this in the imaginary world where streaming still exist but doesn't count towards album sales. So streaming in my world hurts an artist album sales, because it is a popular way consumers have access to your music but it does help with sales. There were no streaming services in 1994. So your album sales, no matter the measurement era, was driven by fewer things back then.

In this world, the modern artist is at a disadvantage in a apple to apples comparison

And it seems the measurement error you detail would exist today, but the variance of would be lower because digit sales would be easier to track.

I even concede that arguments, such as yours, can be made in other directions.

We could go on for hours debating the finer points. But it is just easier to just accept things change.

Last edited:
This donā€™t really make sense because itā€™s not how the RIAA tracks units. RIAA has always been kinda weird because it went off of albums ā€œshipped outā€ meaning you didnā€™t actually have to sell those albums to an end consumer for it to count. Nobody was forced to buy those 500k copies for you to get gold. For that reason alone a lot of people in the industry (going back to the early 90s) have never cared about ā€œgoldā€, ā€œplatinumā€ RIAA **** because it wasnā€™t even based on actual sales. _ā€™s wanna see Soundscans

Dudes was out here going ā€œgoldā€ off albums shipped out, only to have a big portion of those same unsold units get shipped back to labels by the record stores so they can get credits :lol: Thatā€™s why as sales went down they started pressing up less **** and then you had artists complaining about their project being ā€œunder shippedā€

Itā€™s just really look good for the fans honestly. And I do think on one hand itā€™s lil more watered down because _ā€™s really donā€™t have to buy that **** now lol you go gold off people simply listening to your **** but I repped you because I 100% agree it had to change to adjust with the times.
Was there a way to preview an album before purchase years back or were people just buying albums off singles?

Was there a way to preview an album before purchase years back or were people just buying albums off singles?

I remember at certain stores you were able to demo an album with the headphone setup the store had.

Also the website cdnow.com used to let you play a 15 second snippet of every song off an album

I don't see the issue/loophole with tracking streaming. RIAA tracks 1500 streams as an album sale.

Given an assumption of 15 tracks an album, you can then argue a typical album lifespan is 100 listens. Which isn't that off base.

Meaning on the physical side, "I bought an album and listened to it a hundred times". Let's be honest most album purchases aren't being listened to that many times in their entirety outside of the classics. You're skipping tracks and putting your favorites on repeat, or just done with the album altogether.

So to say that 500k people have to listen to a single track 1500 times for an album to automatically go gold isn't some half-assed feat. Even when you lower the listening thresholds to say 50 listens, you still need 15mil people doing that.

You have to be a star to have that large of an audience. Streaming made it easier for people to access your songs, not actually listen to it.

You can stream an album multiple times. Which people do.

Most people only buy an album once. The streaming **** is fraudulent.

Streaming > album sales because you can see whoā€™s actually being listened to.

Now we know ppl ainā€™t listening to NT favorites :lol:

With that streaming stuff, I'm just picturing artists or managers going to the person's shortest song, putting it on repeat, leave the phone on the charger. Kidding, not kidding.

Streaming > album sales because you can see whoā€™s actually being listened to.

Now we know ppl ainā€™t listening to NT favorites :lol:

Ehhhhh I have apple music so I download stuff. I very rarely stream anything on there.

Wonder how that works towards sales.

Iā€™m pretty sure if you have Apple Music you are streaming it when you listen lol

I just said I download it. As in it's physically on my phone in digital format taking up space so I don't have to stream it :lol: that's why I'm wondering how it's counted.

Pretty sure Drake gonna have a Meek verse on his album, we know Drake will ride whatever is hot and with all the people that killed meek during the drake beef, are the same one's posting Free Meek and welcome home.

Pretty sure Drake gonna have a Meek verse on his album, we know Drake will ride whatever is hot and with all the people that killed meek during the drake beef, are the same one's posting Free Meek and welcome home.

Takes two to tango...

The Motto is Drake's best hook, followed by Paris Morton Music

Back
Top Bottom