09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Pavlik denying Williams, boxing fans

Thursday, August 20, 2009 | Print Entry

Your weekly random thoughts. …

This whole Kelly Pavlik-Paul Williams postponement/cancellation is a mess. I just hope the fight comes off this fall, even if it looks a little shaky.

After a long, tough negotiation, one of the year's great fights was supposed to be announced at a formal news conference Tuesday afternoon in New York. Pavlik's manager, Cameron Dunkin, and much of Top Rank's staff were already there awaiting the arrival of Pavlik and the Williams camp.

Then, on Monday afternoon came word that the bout was postponed, according to Top Rank. Promoter Bob Arum and Dunkin said Pavlik had a staph infection on a knuckle on his left hand (something he supposedly has been dealing with for months) and that the bout would be delayed. At first, Top Rank announced it would be pushed back to Nov. 21 (a date it had cleared with HBO and the venue, Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J.). Then it was amended to Nov. 21 or a date in early December.

On the other side, Dan Goossen, Williams' promoter, who was not too pleased. The first he heard about the Nov. 21 date was from a reporter. It sounded fishy because anyone who glances at the boxing schedule -- I keep a very detailed one for ESPN.com -- would know that Goossen is promoting the Mikkel Kessler-Andre Ward super middleweight title bout on Showtime on Nov. 21.

It's a major fight that is part of Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic. Obviously, Goossen isn't going to promote another major fight against himself. That would be bad business and damaging to Showtime, which is paying a lot of money to Goossen for Ward's next four fights -- one tuneup and a minimum of three tournament fights.

When I called Goossen to ask about his take on moving Pavlik-Williams to Nov. 21 or into December, he was noncommittal and kept referring to the fight being "canceled."

When I asked him about being amenable to Williams facing Pavlik in December, he was measured in his response.

"Paul last fought in April, and we all want him back in the ring in October because he can't just sit around. He needs to fight," Goossen said. "We have no problem fighting Kelly Pavlik. We never have. That's who we all wanted to fight, but it might have to wait until next year. Does it makes sense for us to say we'll do the fight in December when we don't know if Pavlik will show up and we don't know the extent of his problems?"

Arum, on the other hand, assured me it would all be worked out this week, though it's pretty clear Arum himself isn't pleased with Pavlik.

He and Dunkin both said Pavlik missed at least three doctor's appointments and that the fighter didn't finally see a physician until just hours before he was supposed to leave for New York. Why would a world champion with a multimillion-dollar fight in front of him miss three appointments to have his hand checked? Remember, Pavlik makes his multimillion-dollar living with his hands.

It seems like very odd behavior and, quite frankly, highly unprofessional.

It took a lot to get the sides to agree on the fight. It would be a shame to see it go down the drain.

• I hope all boxing fans keep Showtime broadcaster Nick Charles in their thoughts as he battles Stage IV bladder cancer. He's one of the truly nice guys in the business. About the only thing he loves more than boxing is his family.

• I find it sad that Chad Dawson and promoter Gary Shaw went out of their way to get the WBC to sanction Dawson's Nov. 7 rematch with Glen Johnson for an interim title, going so far as to travel to Mexico to kiss the ring of WBC president-for-life Jose Sulaiman. Dawson, after all, once threw his WBC title away because he was being forced into a mandatory defense against Adrian Diaconu instead of being allowed to take a more lucrative and much-higher profile fight against former champ Antonio Tarver.

And what do Dawson and Johnson need a low-rent interim belt for anyway? It won't make them more money -- the fight is already set to be televised on America's biggest boxing platform, HBO -- and in fact will only cost them more money in sanctioning fees. If either Dawson or Johnson wants the WBC title, he should fight its legitimate titleholder, Jean Pascal. Dawson-Johnson II may be a strong fight between two championship-level guys, but somebody else already has the belt. The WBC, of course, can always find a way around reality. It shouldn't have sanctioned the interim-title fight, but I have come to expect nothing from the WBC when it comes to rational thinking. For the WBC, it means an extra payday and that is all that matters.

• If you missed "Tyson" in theaters, the DVD was released Tuesday. If you are at all interested in Mike Tyson, it is a must-see documentary. Director James Toback, with full cooperation from Tyson, does a remarkable job of chronicling the youngest heavyweight champion's life and career, from Tyson's frank and often raw perspective. An often-emotional Tyson narrates the entire movie, which features a terrific soundtrack, fight highlights and Tyson discussing the good, the bad and the ugly.

Oscar De La Hoya "fought" Shaquille O'Neal this week in Las Vegas for an episode (airing Sept.
glasses.gif
of Shaq's new television series "Shaq Vs.," in which O'Neal -- who ingeniously called himself "Manny Shaquiao" -- competes against athletes in their own sport during his NBA offseason. They used 16-ounce gloves and wore headgear during a five-round bout that took place in a large 24x24 ring. Shaq, who is 7-foot-1, 320-plus pounds, was "trained" by Freddie Roach. De La Hoya, who is 5-10 and probably weighed around 160 pounds, had Bernard Hopkins in his corner. Although I saw some video of the match on the Internet, I have no idea how it turned out. But I'll say this: If De La Hoya won, I can hear him now saying that he felt refreshed and invigorated and that it made him decide to end his retirement.

• I know Jeff Lacy is a shell of what he once was, but am I wrong to have been at least a little impressed with the way Roy Jones took him apart the other night?

• I still have a bad taste in my mouth after watching last week's horrible mismatches on "Friday Night Fights." Golden Boy can do better and deserves the criticism it has received for putting on such a woeful card, one that looked terrible on paper and was worse in reality. But ESPN, which shouldn't have turned down a solid fight between Danny Garcia and Tim Coleman for the eight-round opening fight, also deserves some of the blame. The fans deserved better than the embarrassment of a card. At least FNF should finish on a high note Aug. 28, when two title bouts will be featured: Juan Urango defending his junior welterweight title against Randall Bailey and Tavoris Cloud facing Clinton Woods for a vacant light heavyweight trinket.

• As much as I like Paulie Malignaggi, I think he's in big trouble against Juan Diaz on Saturday night.

Bernabe Concepcion's way-after-the-bell cheap shot against Steven Luevano was one of the most egregious fouls I have seen this side of a certain ear bite.

David Haye sure has been quiet lately, hasn't he?

• Middleweight prospect Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin (20-0, 15 KOs), who hasn't fought in 11 months, in part because of a hand injury, was due back in the ring Wednesday night in New York on a small card promoted by Winky Wright and Cedric Kushner. But Quillin hurt his hand sparring last week and the card was postponed until Sept. 30. I like Quillin as a prospect. You just have to hope that the injuries don't totally derail his career.

• Paging Guillermo Jones.

DVD pick of the week: The official announcement this week that Michael Katsidis would face rising contender Vicente Escobedo on the televised undercard of the Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez pay-per-view Sept. 19 got me in the mood to watch the always-crowd-pleasing Katsidis in action. So into the archive I went, back to March 22, 2008, when Katsidis challenged Joel Casamayor, then the reigning lineal lightweight champion. Although Katsidis lost via 10th-round TKO, it was one of the most exciting fights of the year as Casamayor scored two knockdowns in the first round and Katsidis scored a knockdown in the sixth round. Katsidis was ahead on two scorecards entering the 10th round, when Casamayor knocked him down again and then finished him in a sensational slugfest.

There ain't enough
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
for Pavlik if this fight ain't happening.

And it's not like Kelly can be stripped of either belt. +%+%++# guy. I hope Paul/Kelly get that December 5th date though. Can only hope now.

And Dako what I was typing up last night is that I remember Gunna said it was a pillow fight but I'd think Diaz would punch a little harder especially withPaulie coming down to 138.5. I think it'll be competitive but Juan takes over in the later rounds and wins a UD. As much as I love Paulie and want him towin I can't see it. I was really disappointed in him after the Hatton fight. Plus, you always have to worry about his frail right hand breaking early.

But the thing is I haven't seen any reports or solid news come out about his drinking since way back before the Miranda fight when he got into some drunkscuffle at a bar in Youngstown. Unless I've missed major articles, all I've seen is "rumor has it" or "the word is". I hopeit's not that though.

^^ If that's true then I hope he conquers those demons man. Alcoholism can ruin not just your life, but the lives around you as well. Either way I hope hegets it together and the fight is able to come off.

he pulled out a signed contracted fight with Sergio Mora. he wasnt duckin him.

I just believe its nmore to the rumors if he's pulled outta his last 2 signed & sealed fights

Originally Posted by Proshares

And it's not like Kelly can be stripped of either belt. +%+%++# guy. I hope Paul/Kelly get that December 5th date though. Can only hope now.

And Dako what I was typing up last night is that I remember Gunna said it was a pillow fight but I'd think Diaz would punch a little harder especially with Paulie coming down to 138.5. I think it'll be competitive but Juan takes over in the later rounds and wins a UD. As much as I love Paulie and want him to win I can't see it. I was really disappointed in him after the Hatton fight. Plus, you always have to worry about his frail right hand breaking early.
good points Pro.. yeah i remember gunna's pillow fight comment
laugh.gif
I agree Diaz punches a little harder... but I'm thinking Paulie's faced Cotto and Hatton, I'm just guessing he's hardened upafter facing those dudes. Diaz doesn't pop as hard as them.

Gunna I think it was more about his contract dispute with Top Rank that made him pull out of the Mora fight. After that I don't know if it's just himducking Mora or if he and Arum thought that they could get a bigger payday that what they had with Mora. I'm surprised we haven't heard more out ofSergio though, on that FNF telecast he sounded serious about legal action.

I don't think the fight is gonna happen. They're talking bout a possible Mosley vs. Berto/Clottey is reserved for the Dec. 5th slot.

In all seriousness tho, there's gotta be something wrong with Pavlik to +%$$ this up. This is/was gonna be the biggest payday of his career. I just hopewhatever demons he's fighting he can kick them to the curb and get back into the ring.

Urango vs. Bailey on FNF tonight next week

My bad..its next week the 28th
laugh.gif

Sorry my calender is all *#%$@@ up, I just got back from vacation.

If Bernard Hopkins is serious about a fight with Paul Williams, he will have to move down to 165-pounds to do it. George Peterson, trainer and manager of Williams, says the fight can happen at 165 but has no shot of taking place at Hopkins' requested weight of 170-pounds. Peterson says Williams' walking weight, right now, is around 150-pounds.

"We're really overdoing it consenting to 165 pounds," Peterson told the Augusta Chronicle. "For him to get there he just has to come down five pounds. But we have to come up 16 pounds. But we're willing to meet him there."

Peterson is not confident about the rescheduling of the postponed bout with WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik. It was announced several days ago that Pavlik's staph infection had become worse of his left hand and their October 3 bout would have to be postponed. Williams' promoter Dan Goossen recently told BoxingScene.com's Robert Morales that he planned to bring Williams back in October, with or without Pavlik.

"We feel good about it that there's no way that this guy (Pavlik) can do anything with Paul Williams under no circumstances," said Peterson. "And they have realized that and they are coming out of the back door. That's all there is. As a result of that, I don't think it will happen."

Goossen says no matter how much weight Williams is willing to put on, or take off, the champions at 147, 154 and 160 are not running to step up.

"Paul has really established himself in really a short period of time and he has become the most feared fighter in the world," Goossen said. "That's really something that's frustrating to the other fighters. As you can see, the big fights will be made. They may be tough to be made and a lot of obstacles to be made because they're very reluctant to get in the ring with him. But on the other hand, it really hasn't stopped us from achieving what our dreams are."

Hopkins and GBP need to stop $@+%$%+ around and set this fight with Adamek for January. I personally don't want to see him fight Pun at all. Stop messingaround and either fight Adamek or Chad/Glen winner. If anything I'd much rather see Paul fight Sergio at 154 and if no one wants him at 160 then $%%$ it goto the stacked 168 division.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I've got this feeling that if Chad wins and he doesn't fight Hopkins he may move back down to 168.

Paulie callin out Caiz
roll.gif
He's on point! Caiz has been here in thePI and has robbed us of some victories as well

For that, I'm rooting for Paulie!

Bernard Hopkins was on the Calvin Murphy radio show last night and an associate of Jones got hold of Roy so he called in to join the conversation that soon turned into a fight negotiation. Jones came to the conclusion that "Bernard is scared," and here are some highlights…

Bernard Hopkins: Money has been the issue for the past ten years with us.

Roy Jones: How much will you give me

BH: I will make it a 60:40 split

RJ: How about 60 to the winner and 40 to the loser

BH: Now you want to make a contest out of it. I don't need Roy Jones. It could wind up in the judges hands and you never know what will happen.

RJ: You pick the judges.

BH: If RJ will take 40, we can get it done before the year is out. But if not…

RJ: He already has an L on his record from me and he is trying to make me take 40 so he can prove that I am the lesser man. But if will make it 60 to the winner and 40 to the loser I will take my chances with that.

BH: Do you think I would make more money fighting Roy Jones than I would a young stud like Adamek or Dawson?

RJ: Bernard doesn't want to fight me. Why would he want to fight me? He's having fun now at this point in his career. He doesn't want to take that gamble.

BH: Is Roy willing to go on record to take 40% win, lose or draw?
Show Producer: How about the winner-take-all?

RJ: That's even better for me.

Show Producer: Bernard are you there?

RJ: No. When you said winner-take-all you ran him off the phone. He's been doing that to me for 5 years now. He disappeared. That's what happens to me. every time.

To listen to last night's interviews on the Calvin Murphy show, go to
http://www.975theticket.com/TicketOnline/Podcasts/CalvinMurphyPodcasts2/tabid/807/Default.aspx

^ I personally don't want to see a rematch 'cause RJ beat him legitimately the 1st go round, but based off the conversation above it's obvious whoreally doesn't want to fight.

Originally Posted by 1stand15th

^ I personally don't want to see a rematch 'cause RJ beat him legitimately the 1st go round, but based off the conversation above it's obvious who really doesn't want to fight. it should have happened over a decade ago.
Fixed.

I agree w/ Pro, I want to see Adamek/B.Hop and Serg/Pun.

Can't wait 'til tonight. I got Diaz by UD, Ghost by UD, and Jacobs by KO.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

1stand15th wrote:
^ I personally don't want to see a rematch 'cause RJ beat him legitimately the 1st go round, but based off the conversation above it's obvious who really doesn't want to fight. it should have happened over a decade ago.
Fixed.

I agree w/ Pro, I want to see Adamek/B.Hop and Serg/Pun.

Can't wait 'til tonight. I got Diaz by UD, Ghost by UD, and Jacobs by KO.
So do you agree that RJ won? I agree that the fight should have happened a minute ago, but it seems to me that Bhop is the one that's being alittle unreasonable. I like Bhop, but judging from the Adamek negotiations dude is a bit of a diva. I guess you have to get whatever you can out of the fightgame while you can. I got JD by decision tonight too.

Big fights in the works: An update

Saturday, August 22, 2009 | Print Entry

How about an update on some fighters and fights being discussed?

MOSLEY-BERTO or MOSLEY-CLOTTEY

Let's start with welterweight champ Shane Mosley, whose desperate search for a fall opponent has been agonizing. Talks have centered on titlist Andre Berto. More recently, former titleholder Joshua Clottey entered the picture.

Although Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer and Berto promoter Lou DiBella both told me they have the structure of a deal in place, they just don't have enough money from HBO, which offered about $3.2 million. That, of course, could change if the Kelly Pavlik-Paul Williams fight is not rescheduled before the end of the year because HBO would have a few bucks laying around from that unused $3.75 million it put up, which could help close the gap on Mosley-Berto.

DiBella isn't holding his breath, which is why he has a deal in place for Berto to unify belts with Isaac Hlatshwayo as a reasonable backup plan. However, DiBella can't get an answer on the fight from HBO and he told me he needs to know early next week or he'll lose Hlatshwayo, who is under his own time constraints from the IBF as far as asking for an exception to face Berto.

Schaefer, meanwhile, told me that Mosley is fighting Dec. 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, be it against Berto or Clottey.

"I have confirmation [from HBO] and I locked in Dec. 5 for Shane at the MGM," Schaefer said. "We definitely have Shane Mosley from the MGM on the fifth. We are discussing if it will be Berto or Clottey. I talked to Bob Arum about Clottey and I'm still having conversations with Lou about Berto."

Dec. 5 looked like a potential date to reschedule Pavlik-Williams, but Schaefer insisted that it belongs to Mosley.

"I'm sorry Pavlik-Williams was postponed, but Shane wanted to fight earlier in the year and HBO said the earliest they could do it was December, so I talked to Shane and convinced him to wait until December," Schaefer said. "I'm not going to get off that date. That's not right. You don't play those games. Pavlik-Williams is a great fight, but it's not my problem that it got postponed. The MGM moved things around to accommodate us."

Schaefer said if he can't find more money to finish the Berto fight, it would take less money to finalize Clottey.

"I can make a deal with Bob, no problem," he said. "They're willing. I can get that fight done in an hour. The fact is Shane Mosley is fighting Dec. 5."

Arum told me that Clottey will take the fight and that they're just waiting for Schaefer to say the word.

"Clottey has accepted the fight and for reasonable money for whenever the date happens to be," Arum said.

ADAMEK-HOPKINS

The other star fighter Schaefer is trying to line something up for is light heavyweight Bernard Hopkins. While Hopkins is out there spouting off about a possible fight with Williams (don't hold your breath) in the event the Pavlik fight is not rescheduled, and continues to jaw back and forth with Roy Jones for about the 10th year in a row about a rematch (that ship has sailed), the real meat and potatoes talks center on a showdown with cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek, whom Hopkins vociferously called out in February, saying he wanted a historically significant fight. This would be one because a Hopkins victory would give him a legitimate championship in a third weight class.

According to Schaefer and Main Events chief Kathy Duva, Adamek's promoter, the fight can be made. But like Mosley-Berto, they need a bit more money from HBO to get it done. I'm told HBO is offering $3 millionish for the fight and that Hopkins wants HBO to up the offer to $3.5 million.

"HBO came back with a number and it was not acceptable," Schaefer said. "Kathy and I have negotiated the percentage split, but it only works if HBO comes up with the number and HBO is telling me they cannot commit to any number until they lock in their budget for next year. [HBO senior vice president] Kery Davis said he'll get back to me. So far, he hasn't."

After hearing about comments from Hopkins saying that the reason he thought the deal wasn't completed yet was because Duva was looking to protect her company's No. 1 fighter and attraction, Duva contacted me.

She said that was simply not true. She said Main Events "has agreed to Golden Boy's terms. We have agreed on all the material terms -- the split, the site, everything."

The date would be Jan. 30 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., where Adamek has been drawing crowds for his past few fights. The split between Hopkins -- who turns 45 on Jan. 15 -- and Adamek would be approximately 60-40 in Hopkins' favor.

"Bernard will only agree to a deal if we can get the number," Schaefer said. "If HBO comes to that number then I believe we have a deal. But if HBO doesn't come up with the number, we don't have a deal."

"Hopkins won't commit to the fight because he wants more money from HBO and HBO is not yet prepared to give him what he wants," Duva said. "They have told us that they are waiting on their 2010 budget. I understand why we are being held up. But I start to have a problem when Hopkins says we are ducking him. We have agreed to terms. He hasn't. We would love to do the fight. This would be so huge."

Most likely, the fight can be made when HBO Sports gets its budget parameters for next year, but it probably has to be sooner than later because Main Events and Adamek don't want to be left without a fight in the event HBO doesn't come through.

That's why Ziggy Rozalski, Main Events' Polish partner on Adamek, continues to work on a proposed Polish super fight between Adamek and heavyweight misfit Andrew Golota.

"I can't ask my guy to cancel a proposed fight for October until we know we have a fight with Hopkins," Duva said. "At some point there will be a point of no return. The Golota fight is not done, but plans are in motion. It's not what I want to do, but if there is no Hopkins fight, that's how Tomasz can make money."

The other issue Duva faces is from the IBF. Adamek is the lineal and Ring magazine champion (in other words, the real champion), but he also holds the IBF title and has a mandatory due with former titlist Steve Cunningham, whom he beat in one of 2008's best fights.

According to Duva, Cunningham left longtime promoter Don King, claiming breach of contract (like most of the fighters who dump King). She said Main Events is talking to Cunningham and they are planning to work together.

She said Cunningham and Adamek understand there is no television money available until early next year to make their rematch, so they're willing to wait. If Adamek-Hopkins is finalized, Adamek would give up his IBF belt and Cunningham would fight for the vacant title in early 2010.

"I can either make a deal for Cunningham to fight Adamek or for Adamek to fight Hopkins and Cunningham can fight for a vacant title," Duva said. "Everyone is OK with that."

But she needs an answer from HBO.

Incidentally, Duva said if Adamek-Hopkins is finalized she'd like to match Cunningham with Matt Godfrey, the next available contender, for the vacant belt on the Jan. 30 HBO undercard.

"I think putting Cunningham on the undercard makes a lot of sense. He's an action fighter," she said. "He was in a great fight with Adamek."

Duva also said she and promoter Russell Peltz are going to work together on his hot Philadelphia welterweight prospect Mike Jones, whom she envisions on a "Boxing After Dark" undercard with Cunningham-Godfrey on top if it can't be made for an Adamek-Hopkins undercard.

"Mike Jones is the kind of prospect we want to work with," said Duva, who has a close relationship with Peltz. "HBO seems to finally be interested in him."

If Adamek-Hopkins does not come off, Duva said HBO has indicated that it would be interested in doing the Adamek-Cunningham rematch.

VALERO-SOTO

Another fight on Arum's mind is a match between lightweight titlist Edwin Valero and junior lightweight beltholder Humberto Soto. If you've seen either guy fight, you know it has the makings of a terrific slugfest.

Arum wants it to be the co-feature on Nov. 14 on the Miguel Cotto-Manny Pacquiao HBO PPV card at the MGM Grand.

"We believe we will be able to make Valero against Soto," Arum told me this week. "That's the fight I want to make."

A few weeks ago, Arum said he hoped to make the match eventually but would probably have each man in separate Nov. 14 bouts. Now, he's changed his mind.

"What changed was I didn't want to do separate opponents because then I have (expletive)," he said. "They should fight each other."

Arum had to convince Fernando Beltran, his partner on Soto and Valero, to support the fight. "My argument to him was, 'Look at the landscape. If Manny beats Cotto, the winner of Valero-Soto could very well be the next opponent for Manny,'" Arum said. "I think Manny fighting the winner at 140 pounds would still do 400,000 or 500,000 [pay-per-view] buys coming off this fight and that is enough to feed everybody."

Before Arum can finalize the fight, Valero needs to be licensed in Nevada. That process is expected to start next week, now that Nevada has amended a rule and will now allow fighters who have suffered a cerebral hemorrhage to apply for a license.

"If he's licensed, it looks like we can make the fight," Arum said. "To do it on the undercard of a big match like [Cotto-Pacquiao] is tremendous."

Of course Im watchin.
Jacobs vs Ishe Smith fightin now.
I used to really like him but Im soured on him now cant put my finger on it

Back
Top Bottom