1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed - Yahoo! News

rocky437

Banned
[font=Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]Good read for those about to graduate from HS or those in College/University about to graduate. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]Associated Press – Mon, Apr 23, 2012[/font]

(AP/The Blaze) — The college class of 2012 is in for a rudewelcome to the world of work.

A weak labor market already has left half of young collegegraduates either jobless or underemployed in positions that don’t fully usetheir skills and knowledge.

Young adults with bachelor’s degrees are increasinglyscraping by in lower-wage jobs – waiter or waitress, bartender, retail clerk orreceptionist, for example – and that’s confounding their hopes a degree wouldpay off despite higher tuition and mounting student loans.

An analysis of government data conducted for The AssociatedPress lays bare the highly uneven prospects for holders of bachelor’s degrees.

While there’s strong demand in science, education and healthfields, arts and humanities flounder. Median wages for those with bachelor’s degrees are down from 2000, hitby technological changes that are eliminating midlevel jobs such as banktellers.  Most future job openings areprojected to be in lower-skilled positions such as home health aides, who canprovide personalized attention as the U.S. population ages.

Taking underemployment into consideration, the job prospectsfor bachelor’s degree holders fell last year to the lowest level in more than adecade.

“I don‘t even know what I’m looking for,

scary to think that im 25 and im quitting my job soon to go back to nursing...i have a decent job, but i want more money and security.
It's better to stay in school than look for jobs at this time

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] Things will get more interesting as time passes. [/color]
pimp.gif

Nothing new really. For some of those majors you're taught application, and the others you should know from the jump you HAVE to go to graduate school. (Psychology anyone?)

I'd be interested in a study of how many graduates/drop outs are creating their own businesses out of undergrad.

underemployed and checking in

feels good to even have a job right now, lot of my friends just sit on their %!!#% all day
30t6p3b.gif

I feel like most of these unemployed graduates either didn't have internships or network properly while in school, or majored in subjects where you pretty much have to go to grad school afterwards (anthropology, philosophy, psychology, etc)

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

honestly, what kind of job do you expect to get when you major in zoology, anthropology, philosophy, etc?

Exactly. Mf's go to school and get a degree in underwater basket weaving and expect to just hop out of school and find a job immediately.

Originally Posted by dluck8689

Graduated Summer 11'
Business Administration 

.....Still searching 
frown.gif

Where have you applied and where will you in the future?

Originally Posted by CJ863

honestly, what kind of job do you expect to get when you major in zoology, anthropology, philosophy, etc?

Exactly. Mf's go to school and get a degree in underwater basket weaving and expect to just hop out of school and find a job immediately.
One of my boys majored in this but he's a big slacker, just kinda takes life as it comes and never cared much for his grades. Philosophy I mean. 

Originally Posted by Rocky437

Originally Posted by CJ863

One of my boys majored in this but he's a big slacker, just kinda takes life as it comes and never cared much for his grades. Philosophy I mean. 

So did my brother...only he's a hard worker. Still...poor choice if you're looking to make a career out of it. Teaching is your best bet as far as I know.

A college degree just doesn't mean as much as it once did.

One shouldn't go to college without a plan or purpose. It has to be more than just get a degree

^get out da hood

but yeh all these majors are suspect , teaching is my plan b if engineering is too much for me

Originally Posted by youngdoc

A college degree just doesn't mean as much as it once did.

One shouldn't go to college without a plan or purpose. It has to be more than just get a degree

pretty much, majority of people go to school just because to say they are going to school for something
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif

Hope everyone in college developed relationships that they can build upon after school. If not, at least search for internships and find ways to add to the resume while being underemployed.

Back
Top Bottom