1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed - Yahoo! News

Civil engineering major 
smokin.gif

Gonna fix the country when it falls apart.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by MMG

Originally Posted by youngdoc

A college degree just doesn't mean as much as it once did.

One shouldn't go to college without a plan or purpose. It has to be more than just get a degree

pretty much, majority of people go to school just because to say they are going to school for something
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
This may be one of the realest things I've ever read on NT.

We need to stop saying "It's the best 4 years of your life"  "There is a time and place for everything....and its called college".  People now want to go to college just to have "the college experience".  So they major in Zoology just to be at a university for 4 years and get drunk and hook up. 

The mentality should be changed.  As should the system.  Give high school kids a finance course.  Give them an accounting course.  Have a class where you learn about college loans and interest compounded on them over time.  The system is set up to trap you in debt. 

It's all about experience gentleman. OF COURSE, employers are going to prefer candidate with a master's degree if they have little or no experience in the field they wish to work in.

It's all about who you know, work experience, and how you can make a difference.

gonna get my BS in chemistry, get my masters, then hopefully I'm straight for a job... lol who knows.

Originally Posted by ElCatfisho

gonna get my BS in chemistry, get my masters, then hopefully I'm straight for a job... lol who knows.
If you're really good in chem, you should consider going into pharmacology.  I wish I was good in chemistry 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

honestly, what kind of job do you expect to get when you major in zoology, anthropology, philosophy, etc?

This.
Not enough people major in things that they'll actually apply or have a certain dream job to get with a degree which is usually only the smartest people get with that degree. And i've seen plenty of people at school who just don't know how to market themselves or make any sort of connections.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by MMG

pretty much, majority of people go to school just because to say they are going to school for something
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
This may be one of the realest things I've ever read on NT.

We need to stop saying "It's the best 4 years of your life"  "There is a time and place for everything....and its called college".  People now want to go to college just to have "the college experience".  So they major in Zoology just to be at a university for 4 years and get drunk and hook up. 

The mentality should be changed.  As should the system.  Give high school kids a finance course.  Give them an accounting course.  Have a class where you learn about college loans and interest compounded on them over time.  The system is set up to trap you in debt. 
laugh.gif
what you major in doesn't matter at all unless you're going for a grad degree though.  and even then it barely matters, and only if the grade program has prerequisites you need to fulfill.

My cousin graduated from Cal not too long ago in I think microbiology. His ultimate goal is to finish med school but while he's waiting on whether he got accepted or not, he's working for a company with a thousand dollar stipend. That's less than minimum wage since its considered "volunteer" work. I hate seeing fam struggle especially when they have to resort to using food stamps. I really don't know if this is the norm for people in the medical field but it sucks regardless.

graduated fall 11
BS in economics
underutilized at my current 9-5.  i've gotten too comfortable at this place to not even give a damb.  been meaning to update my resume and start applying again before new grads flood the job market

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Hope everyone in college developed relationships that they can build upon after school. If not, at least search for internships and find ways to add to the resume while being underemployed.
Even these are not guaranteed methods for finding employment.

Also, name recognition still holds a good of value at least in the job market I'm in (I can only speak for DC area, one of the strongest markets in the nation). There are a lot of people here with degrees from well-known schools. A lot of employers will show more interest in big name universities than small schools.

Yesterday I visited Bain and Co, a management consulting firm I'm interested in, however I'm not getting my degree from one of the few schools they heavily recruit at. Anyways, I ran into a straight up consultant who works there in the elevator on the way out, he's like "I only know one person here who didn't go to one of our core schools, but he's a Pan Am Rower." If you didn't go to one of the schools they like, you have to be "top of your class" he said and have extracurriculars. Bain is a very prestigious place though, I think they are only interested in you if your a super child whose a student athlete with an amazing GPA, or if your not an athlete, you need some serious extracurriculars and work experience. He told me to get my MBA from one of the school's in my city that they recruit at, and try to apply after that. I haven't talked to the recruiting lady yet though, Imma do that soon. 

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Ok so Science> Liberal Arts?

I'm a Molecular Bio major and I have to say no. You still have to look just as hard to find a decent job. The competition is insane right now. Even medical school is getting harder (6% acceptance rate at U of A med school) to get into. I have a couple friends who were set on getting in to med school with psychology and physiology degrees, didn't and are now unemployed.
DO schools and Carribbean med schools are other options. They don't give you the best options in terms of competitive specialties like derm or ortho but if you are interested in primary care then there are plenty of spots for you. There are primary care programs where the percent of US MD students is less than 10%

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

I'm a Business Management major, is it lookin' good for me?

nerd.gif

MGT is OD broad, you should find an industry or field and focus on it, mgt can land you a job managing foot locker or doing operations/ logistics 
Thanks bro.

Originally Posted by shogun

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

I'm a Business Management major, is it lookin' good for me?

nerd.gif
Nope.  I have the same major and graduate in a year.  I'm going to get a degree in accounting also when i'm done.
My brother has his degree in bus. mgmt. and he currently works at CVS.  He's had job offers but they were for traveling salesmen jobs.  Other people I know sell insurance.  Make sure you get good internships.
Alright, i'ma search for good internships.

Some of the laziest people in high school are now laughing at the people that went to college.

Some of the people I know dropped out of high school, GED, or high school diploma. And are making $40K+ a year doing stuff like cable, mining, moving furniture. And don't have the burden of debt because of college.

A lot of em' already have their cars paid off, and have a house and are only 21-25ish. And one salesman I know goes door to door selling cable/internet/satellite and makes $100K.

Just remember, some of the richest people in the world dropped out of college or high school.

And I'm not condoning forgoing higher education. I'm just saying that you can live a decent/good life without it, and not have $40k of debt.

Sign of the times but if history repeats, it will turn around.  Back in 1991, the job market was horrible, it turned around.  I am sure those graduates in 1991 will tell you that their college degree they achieved back then has helped them today.
Sure college isn't for anyone, but you're a fool if you don't think the experience, contacts and education you achieve won't help you find a job sooner than later.  Obviously you should have a Plan B and not go to the most expensive colleges knowing full well that a job might not be there waiting for you.  IMHO, college is essential not just for education purposes but also for the experience.  Just the people you meet in college will make a big impact in your life and your future. 

Originally Posted by Marvin Hagler

Some of the laziest people in high school are now laughing at the people that went to college.

Some of the people I know dropped out of high school, GED, or high school diploma. And are making $40K+ a year doing stuff like cable, mining, moving furniture. And don't have the burden of debt because of college.

A lot of em' already have their cars paid off, and have a house and are only 21-25ish. And one salesman I know goes door to door selling cable/internet/satellite and makes $100K.

Just remember, some of the richest people in the world dropped out of college or high school.

And I'm not condoning forgoing higher education. I'm just saying that you can live a decent/good life without it, and not have $40k of debt.
And that is true, but an education always helps.  Everyone is not a salesman or blue collar work and quite frankly some fields are not that easy to get in to without certifications and/or a degree as well.  I watched my father work in a print shop for years out of high school and then decided to pursue a degree/certification in IT.  He has a great gig now, but none of it would've happened without his certs.

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

And that is true, but an education always helps.  Everyone is not a salesman or blue collar work and quite frankly some fields are not that easy to get in to without certifications and/or a degree as well.  I watched my father work in a print shop for years out of high school and then decided to pursue a degree/certification in IT.  He has a great gig now, but none of it would've happened without his certs.
Oh absolutely, I'd want for my children to go to college as well, but I'm not gonna force it upon them to go if they didn't wanna go.

I'm just going by what I've seen personally. College graduates working jobs at CVS, pizza delivery drivers, etc.

And yes certs do a lot for you, when I worked cable, the inhouse cox techs were bringing home $80k and it was because they had all the necessary certs to be a level 2 and 3 tech.

Originally Posted by richiecotite

the theme of this whole discussion comes down to the fact that for decades, your parents, teachers, guidance counselors, etc have been preaching about the importance of going to college to make a better life for yourself. they've been publishing studies that show that the college grad makes on average x% more than a worker with no degree. Colleges and pseudo colleges have been spending more and more money to attract more and more students. Banks and gov have been making large loans more available to people over time. Education is big business, and now the business is starting to drop off.

When i was in high school, my guidance counselor never even mentioned a trade school or apprentice program. The thought was if your a decent student with good enough grades, you go to college. Now the slackers/worse off students who went to work for the city/large local industry are doing a lot better than many college grads, and don't have that crushing burden of student loans.
real life...
fact... 

if only i would have known before going to college... i would have became an x-ray tech faster
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

honestly, what kind of job do you expect to get when you major in zoology, anthropology, philosophy, etc?

This.
Not enough people major in things that they'll actually apply or have a certain dream job to get with a degree which is usually only the smartest people get with that degree. And i've seen plenty of people at school who just don't know how to market themselves or make any sort of connections.

You guys do realize that most Ivy league schools only offer liberal arts type majors and not even business majors because they feel as if it makes you better prepared to deal with people. That is the other all concept of those majors. I have a friend I work with now who majored in Anthropology at Columbia and does great with the mental aspect of people and gets away with a lot of stuff and gets many positions just because of his teachings. Also sometimes you run in different circles so you never meet people you need to meet or it is a bunch of bull. I've met plenty of people in my "dream" field and they hit me with the "Oh keep in touch" but as soon as you send an email or call they never respond. Not all people are lazy or not good marketers of themselves, they just have not been placed in the correct situation for them to benefit.

Originally Posted by Rocky437

Originally Posted by dluck8689

Graduated Summer 11'
Business Administration 

.....Still searching 
frown.gif

Where have you applied and where will you in the future?

...a little bit of everywhere man. I got a job offer from Lockheed Martin in Customer Service but there waiting to be awarded a Government Contract.
We where supposed to start Feb. 27 but now its been some sort of delay & we STILL haven't started and its the end of April. 
indifferent.gif
frown.gif

I mean I haven't even heard from them since then, my parents told me to be patient but I'm starting to loose hope.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by 4one5

My cousin graduated from Cal not too long ago in I think microbiology. His ultimate goal is to finish med school but while he's waiting on whether he got accepted or not, he's working for a company with a thousand dollar stipend. That's less than minimum wage since its considered "volunteer" work. I hate seeing fam struggle especially when they have to resort to using food stamps. I really don't know if this is the norm for people in the medical field but it sucks regardless.
I was broke as hell during the two years I took off before med school. I was fortunate enough to have support from my parents but if I didn't have that I would have gone straight into med school. Majoring in something pre-med related doesn't really help you get a job. Most folks I know who took time off did research or a post-bac

Let's not act like these are the norm though. 

I agree with the last statement though, you can live a decent life without college but it will most likely be harder. 

Just came across this. More people nowadays have degrees, and more even go to higher levels of post-secondary education, so it is even more competitive.

My advice to the youngins in here still in college/university. Don't expect for job opportunities to fall into your lap. Be assertive and network, network, network! Sometimes, it can be with the experience you have and who you know that can help you get in. Since my Masters, I am still on contracts, and finally I am close to getting a permanent job in the field I want. Why did I do? As a Master's student, worked on contract through a government program in the federal government. Unfortunately, they couldn't bridge me in. Ever since then, I just did contracts through employment agencies to build up my resume, get experience, and network as a policy analyst. It is all beneficial and only betters yours skills, experience, and the way you can sell and market yourself.

For those struggling to get a permanent position in the job field you want, try out employment agencies and get the experience.

It's tough times out there right now. You also have to play it smart and try to waver to what the job fields that have the open opportunities right now. But, it all goes in cycles. Be smart and strategic about it.

Back
Top Bottom