10 Milli in gold coins found

Original story: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/25/us/california-gold-discovery/
 A husband and wife are reveling in their good fortune after finding $10 million in rare gold coins buried on their property in Northern California. The gold country discovery is thought to be the largest of its kind in U.S. history, according to David Hall, co-founder of Professional Coin Grading Service, which authenticated the find.The coins were unearthed in February 2013 by the husband and wife, who wish to remain anonymous.They were walking their dog when they spotted something shiny on the ground.The couple dug and eventually discovered eight metal cans, containing more than 1,400 gold coins.
UPDATE!

http://gma.yahoo.com/10m-gold-coin-...41317823--abc-news-personal-finance.html?vp=1
 A California couple who found a stash of buried gold coins valued at $10 million may not be so lucky after all. The coins may have been stolen from the US Mint in 1900 and thus be the property of the government, according to a published report.
Government like  

Gotta read the whole story to understand though. But basically a California couple was walking their dog and found over 1,000 rare coins dated from 1847 (I think) and the value on those coins is estimated at like $10 million. They got this dude to appraise them and they were looking to sell the coins and use the money for good - all while remaining annoymous.

Now, some fisher dude got involved and is suppodesly claiming that these coins are from a robbery back in the day and they belong to the US government and the US government may get involved and "If the coins were stolen from the government, the couple may be entitled to a finder's fee but they may not be able to keep the stash. "

mean.gif
. I was tight when I heard this. What a come up, but I guess not now...

Uncle Sam :rofl:

HOw could they cash in on 10Mill worth of coins undetected? Even if they do it little by litttle, they are rare, questions will be asked and gov't will find out somehow. It can't be that easy, and I'm sure lots of paper work and other stuff goes into that.

Last edited:

Why would they even report they found it. I would just cash it little by little....
Word.

mean.gif
. I was tight when I heard this. What a come up, but I guess not now...
Right. If the government does get involved then this couple ain't getting jack. Probably somewhere under $50,000 maybe if that. And thats not including the taxes the government is gonna throw on that finders fee. And they won't win against the government. Government about to screw somebody else over for some $$$$

You a dummy if you find 10 mill in gold and tell anyone about it. Keep that to yourself b and either melt it down, or pawn off those pieces a little at a time.

I would sell one coin at a time over a long period 

When I heard about this last week, I knew the Gov would figure out a way to take it 
mean.gif

So you guys are saying that coins with a value of 10 mill, can be pawned at a local shop? If that is true then you aren't getting half of what they are worth.

Some local collector snitched on them :smh:

I would be camping in his back yard like Rambo if he did that to me.

So you guys are saying that coins with a value of 10 mill, can be pawned at a local shop? If that is true then you aren't getting half of what they are worth.
id still take 5 million with the quickness, wouldn't you?

Last edited:
I knew the finders weren't going to be able to keep the gold before i even entered this thread. Something of that significance will always trigger scumbags and government uncle sam types going after what you found. It's a shame.

Ugh I don't know what i would do. It sounds like it's impossible to get full value on those coins legitimately, or at all for that matter. i wonder if there is a statute of limitations on lost or stolen property.

The US gov obviously stopped looking for the gold long ago, so that would imply they don't care about it... right?

Back
Top Bottom