10 year old arrested for threaten her teacher who took her candy "im going to kill your family"

the article said she won't be expelled cuz she's to young as if its already been decided because of school policy and her age there won't be an expulsion at all

Originally Posted by jshortt

I think what some of you aren't taking into consideration is the actual "on the books" disciplinary process that this particular school district has. After Columbine, most schools revised their disciplinary codes in order to help protect against a repeat of that horrific event. In order to have documentation of some of these "predictive behaviors," there are certain actions that have certain disciplinary actions attached to them across the board, no matter what the age of the child is. In most cases, physically attacking a teacher and MOST CERTAINLY threatening the lives of people at the school/their families are included in those actions along with weapons on campus and fighting. When I was in school, EVERYBODY knew the following about our code of conduct: fight = mandatory 3 day suspension, and bringing a weapon onto school property = expulsion from the district (which happened to 3 students). I also know that at one of the schools where I used to work, when there was a threat of that nature (murder, killing someone's family, etc.) that was semi-serious, we were REQUIRED to notify the authorities. I am assuming that this girl's threat, combined with her physical attack on the teacher triggered some sort of REQUIRED disciplinary action that is noted in that school district's disciplinary code which included arrest and/or a felony charge. I taught in an extreme behavior disorder classroom in an inner-city school which consisted of 4 white kids and 1 black kid. We had definite processes that we had to follow in the event of something like this. We had a kid threaten to kill people at school (yes, a white one, before you even ask), and we were REQUIRED BY LAW to notify the authorities. Everything was documented, and that student ended up being suspended for a few days.

For those of you yammering on about the teacher being "soft," I guarantee you that she didn't just pick up a phone in the classroom and dial 911. She most likely called the office, and the office took it from there by doing what they are REQUIRED to do according to their disciplinary code. 10 years old or not, there is a documented process that has to be followed in these cases. If nothing is done, and this 10 year old girl actually ends up killing her teacher's family, the school district is EFFED in a lawsuit because there was a "verbal threat" that was left unchecked. Many of these procedures/rules are in place to C.Y.O.A in the event of such a lawsuit. There are a lot of you just running your mouth about this situation without any real understanding of the rules and regulations of these schools.

Peace,
J

Oh okay so because the schools don't want a possible lawsuit this child has to be charged as a felon. Good to see u educators really care about the kids.

Or, maybe her parent(s?) should have cared enough to teach their daughter that "I'm going to kill you and your family," isn't a reasonable response to not getting your way.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Or, maybe her parent(s?) should have cared enough to teach their daughter that "I'm going to kill you and your family," isn't a reasonable response to not getting your way.

maybe they have...we don't know

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

So because the parent failed the kid now has to suffer even more. I hear u guys loud and clear.

buggz05 wrote:

You are quite frankly wrong. Not all children have the "god given" right of being born with good parents. But to contrast, all of our children have the right to education in America. I come from a family of higher academics, deans and counselors. And what I've learned from that is sadly, that there are teachers, counselors, professors and deans who think like you and do not strive to make a difference in ours and our children's lives. Sadly this is the downfall of our educational system.
tired.gif

Hey, we've all got opinions, right?

I agree with you, children are not able to choose their parents. But parents ARE able to CHOOSE to be parents. If an individual chooses to bring a child into this world, they should be aware that they are choosing to be a parent. If they choose to ignore their responsibilities as a parent to the degree that the rest of society notices... they should not be allowed to continue being a parent to this child. 

my opinion is that this 'parent' should not be raising children. 

If the inclusion of felony level charges accomplishes that, then i'm okay with it. 

And at what point do you draw the line of one individual child's actions infringing on the education and well being of the children around them?

Originally Posted by abutta13

I think what some of you aren't taking into consideration is the actual "on the books" disciplinary process that this particular school district has. After Columbine, most schools revised their disciplinary codes in order to help protect against a repeat of that horrific event. In order to have documentation of some of these "predictive behaviors," there are certain actions that have certain disciplinary actions attached to them across the board, no matter what the age of the child is. In most cases, physically attacking a teacher and MOST CERTAINLY threatening the lives of people at the school/their families are included in those actions along with weapons on campus and fighting. When I was in school, EVERYBODY knew the following about our code of conduct: fight = mandatory 3 day suspension, and bringing a weapon onto school property = expulsion from the district (which happened to 3 students). I also know that at one of the schools where I used to work, when there was a threat of that nature (murder, killing someone's family, etc.) that was semi-serious, we were REQUIRED to notify the authorities. I am assuming that this girl's threat, combined with her physical attack on the teacher triggered some sort of REQUIRED disciplinary action that is noted in that school district's disciplinary code which included arrest and/or a felony charge. I taught in an extreme behavior disorder classroom in an inner-city school which consisted of 4 white kids and 1 black kid. We had definite processes that we had to follow in the event of something like this. We had a kid threaten to kill people at school (yes, a white one, before you even ask), and we were REQUIRED BY LAW to notify the authorities. Everything was documented, and that student ended up being suspended for a few days.

For those of you yammering on about the teacher being "soft," I guarantee you that she didn't just pick up a phone in the classroom and dial 911. She most likely called the office, and the office took it from there by doing what they are REQUIRED to do according to their disciplinary code. 10 years old or not, there is a documented process that has to be followed in these cases. If nothing is done, and this 10 year old girl actually ends up killing her teacher's family, the school district is EFFED in a lawsuit because there was a "verbal threat" that was left unchecked. Many of these procedures/rules are in place to C.Y.O.A in the event of such a lawsuit. There are a lot of you just running your mouth about this situation without any real understanding of the rules and regulations of these schools.

Peace,
J

Oh okay so because the schools don't want a possible lawsuit this child has to be charged as a felon. Good to see u educators really care about the kids.
  Yeah, because "we" educators wrote those rules.  In the end, those rules are in place to help schools overall (meaning everyone involved - kids, parents, AND teachers).  There's no telling how many incidents have been squashed WELL ahead of time because some of these safety nets are in place.  Like homie said, somewhere along the line, that girl should've been taught that hitting an authority figure, then threatening to kill their family is NOT a proper response to not getting his/her way.  Pull that with any cop and see how that works for you.  These days, any and all threats need to be looked at seriously.  How many people have gotten into serious trouble in the last few years for making some off-handed remark about doing something to the president?  Some of you guys just really don't have a clue.

Peace,
   J

Peace,
J

Yeah, because "we" educators wrote those rules.  In the end, those rules are in place to help schools overall (meaning everyone involved - kids, parents, AND teachers).  There's no telling how many incidents have been squashed WELL ahead of time because some of these safety nets are in place.  Like homie said, somewhere along the line, that girl should've been taught that hitting an authority figure, then threatening to kill their family is NOT a proper response to not getting his/her way.  Pull that with any cop and see how that works for you.  These days, any and all threats need to be looked at seriously.  How many people have gotten into serious trouble in the last few years for making some off-handed remark about doing something to the president?  Some of you guys just really don't have a clue.

Peace,
   J

Those rules r in place to help schools save face when and if @$!+ hits the fan. U sound like the type who blindly does whatever he's told without thinking twice about it. Your boss must love u.

Peace,
   J

Those rules r in place to help schools save face when and if @$!+ hits the fan. U sound like the type who blindly does whatever he's told without thinking twice about it. Your boss must love u.
  Wonderful ASSumption, seeing as how you know me so well and all.  I don't blindly follow $#!+, and have been reprimanded for speaking my mind about issues/policies that I don't agree with.  Have you ever taught in an inner-city school...or any school for that matter?  Let me know when you get in the trenches and actually see or deal with some of the stuff teachers have to deal with.  When a student who has a history of violence towards others because of their upbringing says they're going to kill you or another student, it has to be taken seriously.  You're acting like Columbine, VATech, and some of these other school massacres are just made up.  Yeah, nobody thought Klebold and Harris had it in them to do something like that either, but guess what happened?  Who is to say that a 10 year old couldn't have access to a gun and get it into school?  Not me, because I know that it's happened. Would it be a different situation if this girl were older? 

And, I'm pretty sure I said that those rules were there partially for the schools to "C.Y.O.A" in my original post.  There has to be some kind of set of rules/policies in place for every situation, no matter how unlikely.  You can't just have anarchy in that kind of setting.  Especially with children around.  You're acting like the felony is going to stick on this kid.  There is a procedure that has to be followed due to what is already on the books.  Period.

Peace,
    J

Originally Posted by villansfinest

buggz05 wrote:

You are quite frankly wrong. Not all children have the "god given" right of being born with good parents. But to contrast, all of our children have the right to education in America. I come from a family of higher academics, deans and counselors. And what I've learned from that is sadly, that there are teachers, counselors, professors and deans who think like you and do not strive to make a difference in ours and our children's lives. Sadly this is the downfall of our educational system.
tired.gif

Hey, we've all got opinions, right?

I agree with you, children are not able to choose their parents. But parents ARE able to CHOOSE to be parents. If an individual chooses to bring a child into this world, they should be aware that they are choosing to be a parent. If they choose to ignore their responsibilities as a parent to the degree that the rest of society notices... they should not be allowed to continue being a parent to this child. 

my opinion is that this 'parent' should not be raising children. 

If the inclusion of felony level charges accomplishes that, then i'm okay with it. 

And at what point do you draw the line of one individual child's actions infringing on the education and well being of the children around them?

You may be right on the parent not being fit to parent. But like someone else said, we don't know that. I am fine with this child being arrested. But being prosecuted with a felony imo would be a failure to our system. This child needs counseling, probably alternative school. Juvi and a felony is pure failure to our youth. It is my belief that the children are our future and our, as people, responsibility is to upbring them to lead our future. If I saw a child making bad decisions on the street I would do my best to make an impression in that child's life even if its a 30 sec conversation. I would not turn my cheek in hope that the possible parents, or even the judicial system, would hopefully sort out that kids life if I could make a difference. As faculty in education, you are the most influential person outside of a broken home to a child. IF that is the case of a broken home.

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

her record will be expunged by the time shes a teenager... she cool
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

She's 10. Unless she has thousands of dolars for a lawyer, her record will not be expunged until she is an adult. However, felonies do not go away like misdemeanors do.

Originally Posted by buggz05

Originally Posted by villansfinest

buggz05 wrote:

You may be right on the parent not being fit to parent. But like someone else said, we don't know that. I am fine with this child being arrested. But being prosecuted with a felony imo would be a failure to our system. This child needs counseling, probably alternative school. Juvi and a felony is pure failure to our youth. It is my belief that the children are our future and our, as people, responsibility is to upbring them to lead our future. If I saw a child making bad decisions on the street I would do my best to make an impression in that child's life even if its a 30 sec conversation. I would not turn my cheek in hope that the possible parents, or even the judicial system, would hopefully sort out that kids life if I could make a difference. As faculty in education, you are the most influential person outside of a broken home to a child. IF that is the case of a broken home.

It just starts a long sequence of how hard things will be for this child. We all know the justice system is not about rehabilitation. Rarely do people come out of lock down better people. Start a 10 yr old off with a felony who knows where she'll end up.

In the trenches lol bottomline is treating that girl as a felon is wrong. And two wrongs do not make a right. U can write as many paragraphs describing your job as u want it's not changing the fact that the authority figures in this case overreacted in the worst way possible.

I think what some of you aren't taking into consideration is the actual "on the books" disciplinary process that this particular school district has. After Columbine, most schools revised their disciplinary codes in order to help protect against a repeat of that horrific event. 

righhhhhhht.

eyes.gif

and today,when i catch 1st graders playing guns with their hands, im going to send them to federal court.....

Case will get dropped down to a BS misdemeanor and shorty gonna be alright. She def deserves to be punished, but not a felony.

Back
Top Bottom