1985 Collars turned to dust. Any fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came up on a pair of 85s for $300 but the collar inside and insole foam has essentially turned to sand. Any fixes for this? Thanks!

Attachments

• 76156A37-28AC-4E48-8B8A-AA25F6850C1D.jpeg
    76156A37-28AC-4E48-8B8A-AA25F6850C1D.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 89
Just my opinion. But those need to be in a display case. You have a true original that I can only imagine having. Get a newer pair of Chicago 1s and rock those.

Just my opinion. But those need to be in a display case. You have a true original that I can only imagine having. Get a newer pair of Chicago 1s and rock those.
Ya I have the 2015s I just like the the vintage look of the 85s. They’re not DS or anything I wouldn’t do that but they’re not as hard to come by as you would think.

Some people paint the collar back to the original color so you could do that.
The paint is fine it’s the inside foam that has become brittle if you squeeze it feels like you squeezing a piece of toast or something and it kind of crumbles. Same with the insoles. They have their shape but if I press on them it turns to sand

there is nothing you can do, unless you want to open them up to remove the aged foam and replace it

The paint is fine it’s the inside foam that has become brittle if you squeeze it feels like you squeezing a piece of toast or something and it kind of crumbles. Same with the insoles. They have their shape but if I press on them it turns to sand

If that's the case I would just replace the insoles unless if you want to do like jordan4eva23 jordan4eva23 recommended and replace the aged foam.

I would like to suggest that unless the shoe repair shop you mentioned has experience with sneakers specifically old jordans or nikes you might not want them to touch them. mine did the same thing all the foam dried out and I was left with a ruined shoe. there just too old to wear sometimes depending on the environment conditions they were stored in over the years. the foam in the tongues will do the same thing sometimes and your left with just the nylon shell of a tongue. just be careful who you let try to fix them. I would really do some research on the person that repairs them first.

You’re going to have to take them to a shoe restorer or a cobbler to get the collars swapped, it’s not going to be a cheap repair. That $300 pair of OGs is going to end up costing you $600 or more to get wearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom