[| -- 20/20 "What Would You Do" : Racism In Suburbs (On Now) -- |]

If they were, in fact, vandalizing the cars and people called the police, how is that racism anyways? It's not like when you're just chilling mindingyour business and still get disapproving stares and assumed to be up to no good.

Originally Posted by Devanisgee

This is funny but sad @ the same time.
What is funny about it?

That the White kids were obviously being sarcastic when asked if the car they're damaging was theirs and people continued their way.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

If they were, in fact, vandalizing the cars and people called the police, how is that racism anyways? It's not like when you're just chilling minding your business and still get disapproving stares and assumed to be up to no good.

did you watch it?

they compared i think it was a total of 11 phone calls on the black kids, but only 1 on the white kids.

and after they questioned people, they said they would be more hesitant to do anything (confrontationally) to the black kids, because they might be moredangerous/have weapons

Well black people are more dangerous and stuff. they are known to wild out.

BTW I live in L.A so I know how the hood is like.

Well thats mostly in the ghetto but you never know. White kids aint doin nothing if I cus them out

Originally Posted by Been Here

Well thats mostly in the ghetto but you never know. White kids aint doin nothing if I cus them out

So can, and will, white kids yet they're just perceived as being less monolithic. I wouldn't confront anybody unless it was my car and I was surethey weren't dangerous like the time I caught a bunch of dudes sitting on my car, but that's just me. The show was trying to make it seem like peopleshould be quick to jump in on situations and take action, when stuff really isn't their business.

Originally Posted by Been Here

So can, and will, white kids yet they're just perceived as being less monolithic. I wouldn't confront anybody unless it was my car and I was sure they weren't dangerous like the time I caught a bunch of dudes sitting on my car, but that's just me. The show was trying to make it seem like people should be quick to jump in on situations and take action, when stuff really isn't their business.

I get you.

Im not risking my neck for someone elses property.
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by supra97RX7

If they were, in fact, vandalizing the cars and people called the police, how is that racism anyways? It's not like when you're just chilling minding your business and still get disapproving stares and assumed to be up to no good.

did you watch it?

they compared i think it was a total of 11 phone calls on the black kids, but only 1 on the white kids.

and after they questioned people, they said they would be more hesitant to do anything (confrontationally) to the black kids, because they might be more dangerous/have weapons

Not only that, but there was a car where 3 young black men were sleeping (Not a part of the experiment) who also got calls to the police on them, statingthey looked as if they might rob someone. They were minding there own business while in the same area the white kids where vandalizing the car and got 1 callto the police.

They did something similar to this last year, did they re-cap it? An experiment where some child is trying to escape from a man, screaming and crying andwhatnot, like he/she is being kidnapped. And they end results where more black peopled tried to save her compared to others, and more women stepped up to theplate instead of men. Interesting stuff.

I ususally stay out of these threads because 99.9% of this board can't differentiate between racism and prejudice. But I seemed to have sucked myself inwith a supposedly ridiculous statement that racism isn't a problem in our society.

Well, I'll be more clear: IT'S NOT.

Our society is not racist. There are racist people (there always will be), and they make up an insignificant percentage of our population.

However, everyone in our society has prejudices and stereotypes. It's a part of human nature to hold them. But prejudice is not racism.

The overwhelming majority of our society is not racist (like I said, a statistically insignificant proportion is racist), but the majority of them will makecomments about races as a whole because all races project stereotypes, and we develop prejudices based off those. It has nothing to do with wanting to exertcontrol, declare superiority, supporting eradication, eliminate the rights of all other citizens, etc. of a particular race, which is what racism is definedas.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by no vert

Just saw it too. Racism is never going away till the Lord comes.
frown.gif

Racism will always exist. I just wish people wouldn't make it seem like it's some huge problem plaguing our society.

For your sake, I hope this is a dry joke or a failed attempt at sarcasm.

If this statement is meant to be taken literally then
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by no vert

Just saw it too. Racism is never going away till the Lord comes.
frown.gif
!++@ is going to hit the fan when nobody comes and finds out all this jesus talk was crap.

saw the whole episode

...found it hella funny when that guy was trying to get at that girl that was littering

Back
Top Bottom