20 years ago today....the Sega Genesis debuts

genesisad0814.jpg

Remembering the Sega Genesis, 20 years later

On this day 20 years ago, video games fans in the United States were introduced to the console that birthed Sonic the Hedgehog.
August 14, 1989 marks the debut of the Sega Genesis in North America. The console would eventually engage in a bitter duel with the rival Super Nintendo Entertainment System in the early '90s, highlighted by this memorable ad campaign.

Some of the franchises spawned or expanded upon during the Genesis' reign bring equally fond memories: Golden Axe, Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Shinobi spring to mind for me. It also helped reveal the awesomeness of NHL star Jeremy Roenick.

pimp.gif

Oh my God. That was TWENTY years ago?! I'm old.
laugh.gif

I remember seeing those ads in GamePro like it was yesterday.
eek.gif

I'm still a bigger SNES fan though.
smokin.gif

genesis
pimp.gif
even though my gaming started with the old school nintendo, the genesis blew my 10 year old mind...you ask me back then what i wanted to be when igrew up, my reply "i wanna make video games"

sonic the hedgehog 1,2
golden axe
zombies ate my neighbors
vectorman 1,2
gladiators

man theres to many to list.

I remember walking out of Toys-R-Us with my Genesis. I was feeling on top of the world hugging it all the way to the car.
laugh.gif

best game ever.they need to re release this. guaranteed if they came back out with genesis theyd make cake (sarah lee)

Back
Top Bottom