20 Years of being a sneakerhead

You should frame that, great work... At 36 I think I just about entered the 20+ plus sneakerhead "club" if you will as well.

Great piece of personal memorabilia for you there - gone are the days when you would "write" in to a company & they would actually send something/reply to you... Nowadays it's all online.

Nike needs to go back to that personal touch, get some great promo ads going like they used to (pictured above), put those nice hang tags back on the shoes, etc.

When I mailed Nike a request I got a bunch of great Nike stickers back in the early 90s...

Great post and it's certainly nice to know that you did so in 20 years ago
coz it can prove u still love what u were in love since your childhood days.
And I never knew these old Nike ADs (which I liked at that time) were Mr. Brody's work!!

Originally Posted by pixelhead

To those that asked I'm currently doing user experience design for digital products/software.  Though I did start out in college in industrial design, I graduated in graphic communication design, and ended up working for a lot of the web 1.0 companies.  If you've bought or sold vintage shoes online, you've probably experienced some of my work. If you owned a phone in the pre-smart phone era there's a good change you've experienced some of my work.  Nowadays...  when you book your next vacation, there's a chance you'll be doing it with a product I designed
smile.gif

It's also interesting that at the last few places I've working I always run into at least one other sneakerhead!

Incidentally, Nike's graphic design from that era was just as groundbreaking and inspirational to me as a designer. One of my favorite was stuff Neville Brody did for them in the "golden era":

neville-brody002.jpg
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I had this and every other 2-page Nike ad on my walls back in the day!!  All the Bo ads.  David Robinson too.  Nice find!!

I so wish I would've kept those for nostalgia purposes.  

That's sick man, I found my brothers old Flight and Force mini catalogs while cleaning out my room once, and a bunch of old trainer and jordan hang tags from the 80s/early 90s, I was so psyched

pixelhead... GREAT, GREAT post! you and i are about the same age.

i remember writing a very similar to LEGO when i was about 7 or 8. like you, i think i presented some design ideas for their castle series. unfortunately they were never used, but i did get a personal reply letter complete with a LEGO king and throne enclosed!

thanks for sharing.

looks like it could be in the lebron line....my drawings were horrible compared to that when i was 13. that is pretty awesome.

although  i been a nike head since the early 80's this right here is very very cool. i saved all the pics. and the design is awesome. thanks for the memories.

Back
Top Bottom