2008 CDP Reflection Thread. What did it really mean? Has JB tarnished its significance?

bigj505

Staff member
I remember when the packs were dropping back in 08 and how a lot of us wanted to get at least each pack. I had most of them back then but now I dont have any.
The concept was cool but I think they messed up by having poor quality on many, introducing retro+ colors, changed OGs (17s), or rereleased shoes in the pack within a couple of years of the packs dropping.

I
II
III - released 2 year ago
IV - released last year
V - released this year
VI
VII
VIII - Last weekend
IX - released in 09
X
XI - released last year
XII - slated to release this fall
XIII - released this year
XIV - retro+
XV - retro+
XVI
XVII - retro+
XVIII - retro+
XIX
XX - retro+
XX1 - retro+
XX2 - retro+

Looking at the breakdown, it seems like all of the OG colors are being released at one point or another. Does this make the packs less desirable?
Were the retro+ colors anything to ride home about?

Im confused with your list unless this was a typo.

"III - released 2 year ago" 

they released this year. or do you mean a different colorway?

Last edited:
Im confused with your list unless this was a typo.

"III - released 2 year ago" 

they released this year. or do you mean a different colorway?

the black/cement 3, which was the cdp 3, released 2 years ago for black friday. came out before the concords. you may be talking about the white/cement 3 which wasnt in any cdp.

I owned almost every pack (multiples of a few; ie. 3/20, 17/6, 13/10, 7/16, 11/12) but I was either offered ridiculous money for some pairs, or the same shoe was dropping (13, 8, 12, 11, 9, 3) I just sold the CDP a few months in advance for $$$ then copped the later GR version. Come to think of it, I ended up selling all of my pairs of CDP's, including the ones I wore for a while (carmines, XI, XII, BC3).

The fact you had to get one shoe you didn't like to get the other one you did was annoying though. Cool gimmick, but I'd rather not see something like this again. Unless they make them in colors you know that will never release again. (one off silver anniversary type stuff)

the only significance was for nike/jordan brand to make more money

i though as most did at the time less retros coming out

but now that was real foolish to think that would happen

there was less then 10 retro's released in 2009 though
i took that year off from buying sneakers

i and we still buy but to release some of these shoes so soon is really a slap in the face to the customer

we should have all seen this coming
when the white/black 9 re-released in 2010

Last edited:
i forgot about the whole sizing issue people were having. :smh:

carmines fit great in a 9 but the 17s were too snug

or the cdp 11 fit too small in a 9.5 but the 12s were perfect in a 9.5

pre-yellowed 5s

ashy 17s

i think the best retro+ colorway in the packs was the 18s. that black/red was a nice touch

only pack i still have 6/17 for many good reasons. until those carmines release one more time i am not UN-DSing

1's still have them & the tounge is horribly yellow
2's wish i had em
3's were stolen from me
4's never bought because they were crap
5's crappy ..sold instantly
6's recently sold ...prbly will retro next yr
7's still have & scared to rock :lol:
8's didnt cop
9's had them & ran into the ground
10's had & sold wish i still had them
11's were crap & sold
12's were stolen & will be replaced x2 later this yr
13's were very nice
14's didnt like sold for cheap
15's didnt like sold for cheap
17's didnt like sold for cheap
18s didnt like sold for cheap
19s didnt like sold for cheap
20 sold for cheap was very crappy...gf still has hers

Never hopped on this bandwagon. Only bought one of my FL's complete stock of the 11/12 pack and resold for insane prices.

I didn't buy any, but I thought the XIV and XVIII were very nice retro+ colorways. The XIV would look fantastic with the Bulls old 3rd jersey (striped black).

The packs dropped right before this current "sonic boom" in demand for shoes.

It was ironic to me because it was like the housing market crashed, and the shoe thing took a dive a little at same time.

Thus, if you were in any urban market (particularly on Atlantic) packs were had for $149.99 or less for those with patience and know how to shop.

Only exceptions was the 11/12 pack. I even got the 7/16 pack for $149.99.

It's all about the $$$.

Nothing is being "tarnished" when you got a choke-hold on a market/demographic, which includes generations before the current target consumer, and many generations after.

Strictly business.

pre-yellowed 5s
Add the Carmines to the list. :lol:

It seems because of the "want" and "demand" for those, they always get a pass in the "sneaker community". But the sole was piss poor (basically this was the era before JB changed the mixture of the clear sole, basically coping the fake makers) and the leather pieces were paper.

pre-yellowed 5s
Add the Carmines to the list. :lol:

It seems because of the "want" and "demand" for those, they always get a pass in the "sneaker community". But the sole was piss poor (basically this was the era before JB changed the mixture of the clear sole, basically coping the fake makers) and the leather pieces were paper.

agreed. the toe box material was kind of iffy too. they creased "hard" as if it were cardboard.

the CDP 16's had better quality than the OG's

how was the XI quality? never owned them

im not sure the 16s had better quality but they seemed fine to me. had 0 complaints about the pairs i had.

XIs were... weak. 23s peeled. shape was more of a banana, ankle padding was less than what we get today, which isnt much already. some say the red sole was more pinkish also.

All these releases coming out did "tarnish" the cdp significance cause alot of people bought into the cdp's thinking retro's would be slowing down (like someone said earlier). I hated the gimmick but the 11/12 pack was the one for me. I actually wanted both.

Now, JB is bringing everything out so the pack was a foolish cop in hindsight, but it's hindsight; who would've knew? And the little touches to some j's were nice. I loved the 7's from the pack, I switch between the 2012 and those often

Now that I've thought about it.

What was the significance of these packs?

Personally, I feared quality (as far as materials, craftsmanship, and paint) was never gonna be any better than what was provided in those packs going forward forever...

For JB - the significance of the packs was to test the market demand. ...Would people really by a whole second shoe they didn't want just to get one poorly made classic? The fact that the public supported this release (by in large, though like EoH said, resourceful folk were able to get damn near all packs for $199 or less) helped give way to future price increases on individual models.

For me - the significance was waiting game and chase for all the outlet drops. Hare 7s for everybody!!! 2s. 9s, and 6s made multiple appearances too!

Now that I've thought about it.

What was the significance of these packs?

Personally, I feared quality (as far as materials, craftsmanship, and paint) was never gonna be any better than what was provided in those packs going forward forever...

It was JB's 23rd anniversary and the sum of the model #s in each package equalled 23. I.e. XVII + VI = XXIII. The packaging also had some nonsense about being a 'JB Ambassador' - although why anyone would want to be an ambassador for some of the lowest quality shoes ever is beyond me.

That said I worked retail at the time of these CDPs and I bought about 5 packages to fill some gaps in my collection. Apart from the quality issues - sizing was a major problem. The XVII was ridiculously snug - almost a full size down while the VI was TTS. I sold the XXs to some cat on eBay for $50 and he had the nerve to ask me if they were real.

The CDP XI was heartbreaking though - they made us wait till the end of the year and produced something that was worse than a fake. Absolutely no damns were given on this pair and I started to wonder if JB were even pre-inspecting or producing samples of their product at that stage.

Quality and craftsmanship on retro product is more or less gone out the window.

Loved the 18s, wish I would have gotten the right shrouds with my 16s and 17s.... both came with the same foot shroud for both
eyes.gif
 I got the 9/14, 6/17, 7/16, 5/18, and 11/12 packs. the only one I regret missing was the 10/13 since I missed the "he got game" fiasco this year. all in all I feel like for my taste these were solid, solid packs and worth copping. a lot of people complain about the packs but for the most part the shoes I mentioned there is not a whole lot of a difference in quality compared to what's been releasing lately. the 11 may have left a little to be desired, the 5 could have had nicer leather, the 17 suede wasn't pristine on some pairs, but really, these complaints are pretty much always there. I think a lot of people look at the packs as something to blame but in reality are they really that much different? not imo but I only have 5 packs so maybe i'm wrong.

The packaging also had some nonsense about being a 'JB Ambassador' - although why anyone would want to be an ambassador for some of the lowest quality shoes ever is beyond me.

I laughed so hard when I read this. It's sad but true. 

The fit was terrible. I only bought  the 11/12s because I didn't want to get a shoe a didn't like in order to get one I did. The 11/12 were so narrow they squeezed my small toes so bad. Plus the 11 was such cheap plastic.

JB was genius by releasing the packs. They drop the models & colorways everyone wants, pair em with a shoe most didnt want, and got people to pay for both. That's not even the best part. Then they slapped the cheapest materials money could buy. Then rerelease em extremely quick cuz they knew people's pair wouldn't last, so they double their profits.

I had every pack except for the 1/22, cuz I saw how terribly bad the I's yellowed on shelf. Ended up selling off majority of my collection because I grew disinterested in JB altogether. Inconsisted fitting, yellowing fast, bad stitching, nubuck & suede pairs looked like they were balled in then boxed, thin synthetic leather, etc.

JB has since steered towards the right direction, but still has miles to go before it regains its significance.

honestly I don't see how it's much different today. they still have all of those issues, and even worse sizing differences now, imo. and to top it off they cost more now...

They have lost significance due to releasing many of the same colorways so quickly, IMO.

Not that JB cares... because it's all just a money grab anyway. But yeah, it would have been nice if the 23rd Anniversary themed packs actually meant something later on (not even speaking from a value perspective necessarily... because, as has been mentioned, most of these packs were easily attainable for under retail back then).

Back
Top Bottom