2008 CDP Reflection Thread. What did it really mean? Has JB tarnished its significance?

honestly I don't see how it's much different today. they still have all of those issues, and even worse sizing differences now, imo. and to top it off they cost more now...

as far as sizing goes... its definitely different when you dont have to buy a pack vs buying singles. its not like you can say, give me the carmines in a 9 and the xvii's in a 9.5.

honestly I don't see how it's much different today. they still have all of those issues, and even worse sizing differences now, imo. and to top it off they cost more now...

There were always sizing differences long before the packs. The bad part about the sizing difference with a pack is you get left with a shoe that you can't fit. On top of that your paying approx 155 each which was unheard of. Now it's the norm.

Last edited:
I think JB knew they messed up quality wise with the CDP's so they re-released most of the colorways and they knew the same colorways would sell out.

I still have my CDP X's the quality on those were good IMO.

Last edited:
I'll always remember that was the year the 11's started to look like banana shaped shoes, just like the 4's did the previous year 2006-2007. :smh:

Last edited:
I guess adding up to 23 and celebrating the 23rd year of Jordans [shrug]

The question was rhetorical. Given my previous statements I thought that would be clear. :lol:

BUT, If your answer was TRULY the sincere case with Jordan Brand, every shoe provided should have been an original colorway, or at least up to what he wore on the court.

But again, its business...

"Ambassador" my #^@!

Last edited:
the CDP 16's had better quality than the OG's

how was the XI quality? never owned them

im not sure the 16s had better quality but they seemed fine to me. had 0 complaints about the pairs i had.

XIs were... weak. 23s peeled. shape was more of a banana, ankle padding was less than what we get today, which isnt much already. some say the red sole was more pinkish also.
honestly am i the only one who thinks the VII/XVI pack was the best executed outta ALL the countdown packs?

The question was rhetorical. Given my previous statements I thought that would be clear. :lol:

BUT, If your answer was TRULY the sincere case with Jordan Brand, every shoe provided should have been an original colorway, or at least up to what he wore on the court.

But again, its business...

"Ambassador" my #^@!

I was being sarcastic...thus the [shrug]

It was a money grab

There were always sizing differences long before the packs. The bad part about the sizing difference with a pack is you get left with a shoe that you can't fit. On top of that your paying approx 155 each which was unheard of. Now it's the norm.

Amen on this second part. No one in their right mind would pay $155 for those CDP XXs or XXIIs.

im not sure the 16s had better quality but they seemed fine to me. had 0 complaints about the pairs i had.

XIs were... weak. 23s peeled. shape was more of a banana, ankle padding was less than what we get today, which isnt much already. some say the red sole was more pinkish also.
honestly am i the only one who thinks the VII/XVI pack was the best executed outta ALL the countdown packs?
That pack is right up there with the 10/13 and the 11/12 IMO. All others were one good shoe and one trash shoe.

still have the 12's

that 11 though
mean.gif
mean.gif
mean.gif
mean.gif
mean.gif

exactly which is why i'm saying how are the packs so bad looking back? imo people give they wayyyy too much scrutiny when you really look at the big picture. yeah I understand the whole 2 different shoes in one pack size dilemma but I bought size 11 in all my cdp's and they all fit decent now days if I buy an 11 they are almost always big

Amen on this second part. No one in their right mind would pay $155 for those CDP XXs or XXIIs.

My point exactly. Even though JB wanted around 180 for XX2, XX1, XIX, & XX most didnt want to pay $155 much for em. On top of that 155 for 1-11 :lol: not even 12-15 retroes were going for $155.

Only pack really worth it like others said was 7/16 10/13. I didnt like the snug fit and shape of the XI, but had no problems with the Taxi XII

I didn't cop either of the packs when they were released. I copped a few splits tho after 2 years when people were getting tired of them. Me and my bro share a couple of the shoes and they're still in tip top shape other than the paint cracks.

III- really comfortable after breaking in. I'm not worried about the paint cracks, as long as the midsole is intact.
IV- decent shoe after breaking in. The shape tends to morph the more you wear them. They get more fat and puffy looking almost resembling the '99. Same paint problems with the IIIs
V- haven't experienced them, but my bro wore em a couple of times. They seemed to be one of the less cared shoes in the whole series.
VI- one of best crafted shoes in the series. VI are always comfortable and the colorway was a must
VII- again, one of the best crafted shoes in the series. Comfort and the colorway was top notch and a must. The sizing however was horribly wrong. My shoe almost ran a whole size too big
X- very underated and one of the better crafted shoes in the series. They were really buttery or just plain butter. They were prone to all creases known to man, but it felt like you were walking in those 5 finger shoes. The comfort was steady, but not the best.
XI- we didn't own them but had to write my $0.02. The shoe was the most hype but the worst shoe made in the series. After all the pics and reviews, it seemed it was a huge let down and a slap to the face.
XII- haven't experienced them, but my bro wore his a few times. They look really good, craft-wise. But i can just tell that didn't feel to good comfort-wise.
XIII- one of the best crafted, if not the best crafted shoe in the series. The shoe was butter and didn't feel as stiff as all the other retroes. One of my personal favorites and i don't even like the higher model Js.
XVI- One of the best crafted shoes. Idk how JB did it, but they relaunch a shoe in its pure OG form. Some even say they were better than the OGs, i can't say since i haven't tried the retroes but owned the OGS. My bro won't let me wear these ahaha.

copped most of the CDP that came out (except for the 1/22, 9/14 and 8/15) eventually sold most of it except for the carmine 6s, hare 7s and 11/12 pack
ohwell.gif
 made quite a bit money off of it though
ohwell.gif

exactly which is why i'm saying how are the packs so bad looking back? imo people give they wayyyy too much scrutiny when you really look at the big picture. yeah I understand the whole 2 different shoes in one pack size dilemma but I bought size 11 in all my cdp's and they all fit decent now days if I buy an 11 they are almost always big

Your damn right CDP's are bad looking back. JB has since moved in a slightly better direction. I wouldn't even be in this forum if JB still produced shoes like the CDP series. JB shoved out all their sig models in a calendar year. That's expensive, so corners were cut. Thin paint, bad shape, bad stitching, bananas shape, & cheap materials

From my experience for example lets look at the IV's. The paint came off when I cleaned em after the first wear. Mind you it was a simple wipe along the midsole, and it come right off. I had every IV retro 99, 04, 06, CDP, 12. CDP by far the worst as far as shape, and quality.

My CDP, 2's, 5's, 6's yellowed within 6th months all were DS. 9's had inconsistent stitching along the mudguard. 11's patent leather was cut drastically low, bad shape, and 23 peeled off easily. 12's looked deflated compared to my 97 & 03. The recent retro was better. 14's-18's had bad materials. All durabuck shoes came with scuffs, and all nubuck shoes looked blue instead of black, and were creased.

Today shoes aren't the best, but they're way better then CDP series. Are they both overpriced? Yes.

I have all the CDP's and yeah some of the quality is not that great but for the most part I'm
happy with them all. I could care less what other people think about them.
Most of the people that complain about them never even owned them.

Personally, the other significance of the pack was that this was around the time I really started taking a firmer stand against JB's marketing gimmicks. That whole forcing you to buy one crap pair to get one you wanted was a bridge too far for me. I've never been a completely lotal JB customer since. At that point, my Jordan spend become more disproportionately toward OGs than it had even been before, and I haven't reverted consistently since. In this hobby, you vote with your wallet. So, I voted that I would rather pay the price of a full 3/20 pack for a pair of 2001 IIIs than for the pack.

Wanted the 11/12 pack so bad for Christmas.. never got them
mean.gif

Def was the year where the JORDAN hype began.. I remember tons of Fusions where out at the time 

Carmines 6's and Shadows 10s were the best cops

Wouldn't mind having a pair of the black 17s tho

I have all the CDP's and yeah some of the quality is not that great but for the most part I'm
happy with them all. I could care less what other people think about them.
Most of the people that complain about them never even owned them.

Can't see how saying people that complain about them don't own them.
Opening the package and seeing the ashy Larry xvii when u looking for some buttery smooth suedes was definitely real.

Can't see how saying people that complain about them don't own them.
Opening the package and seeing the ashy Larry xvii when u looking for some buttery smooth suedes was definitely real.

Your right the last part of what I wrote didnt really come out right. :lol:
What I was trying to say is that a lot of people like to complain about quality just because its
the cool thing to do. I think that there are a bunch of people that complain about the
CDP's without ever owning them.

both OGs, both excellent quality, both wanted models.

da XIII's & X's were also up there, da XII's & XI's were sought after but da XI's had complaints...

overall da VII & XVI was my favorite pack,

I agree the 13s were on point.3s holding up good

No ankle padding in the 12s or 11s.

Can't give away the 20s

The XIIIs and IIIs are the only ones I have left. IIIs cuz the BC IIIs are my favorite Jordan ever, and the XIIIs cuz they were the best made CDP model IMO that I owned (had the III/XX, XI/XII, and X/XIII packs). Comparing the CDP XIIIs to the 2013 White/Black XIIIs, I still take the CDPs cuz it has better ankle padding than the 2013s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom