2009 Oakland Athletics Season Thread:Rickey Henderson in Cooperstown...No. 24 Jersey Retired 8/1

Nice to see the young arms pitching well as of late........well not tonight.
As always, looks like pitching is gonna carry this team.
And as always, our hitting needs to improve.
These numbers are just:
sick.gif
tired.gif

2cd79m8.gif

btw, CarGo was called up last week after leading the minors in RBI's

last weekend he went 1-9
2ks
21 pitches seen

im just happy the al west wont see a king felix/stras combo
thanks for the sweep to end last year!
best three losses...EVAR

Good win today.

I just want to win the series vs. SF
pimp.gif

Its gonna be tough tho. I think we're going against Lincecum, Johnson, & Cain
sick.gif

saddest news of the day

another crosby in the organization...blake

didnt we learn with the 1st one?!?

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Good win today.

pimp.gif

sick.gif
Nice win today I see Davis a familar face came thru. Whos going for the A's games 2 & 3?

Originally Posted by LB510

Good win today.

pimp.gif

sick.gif
Nice win today I see Davis a familar face came thru. Whos going for the A's games 2 & 3?

Mazzaro in game 1, Outman in game 2, and Anderson in game 3 I think. Lincecum and Cain?
sick.gif
Hopefully our offense is awake this series
smh.gif
. I wish I could makeit but I think I'm staying in SLO over the weekend because I heading to LA on monday. Anyone going to be in LA for the A's series? I got tickets toTuesday and Thursday already. Might pick up tickets for Wednesday, not sure yet.

Anyone catch the read up on our draft. Sounds like we will have another strong, but rather expensive class coming up.

Originally Posted by RBeezy32

Anyone catch the read up on our draft. Sounds like we will have another strong, but rather expensive class coming up.
if they actually sign stassi, krol, and dyson...this could be fan-***-tastic

allegedly, stassi frew up an a's fan (easy to say now, right?)

guess i'll bump this from the grave. thoughts???

[h2]Sources: Holliday deal is done[/h2]
The Athletics and Cardinals have completed a trade that sends outfielder Matt Holliday to St. Louis in exchange for third baseman Brett Wallace, outfielder Shane Peterson and right-handed pitcher Clayton Mortensen, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.
In addition, sources said the Athletics will throw in $1.5 million to the Cardinals.

Holliday, 29, is eligible for free agency after this season, and has had a lackluster season overall with the Athletics, hitting .287 with 11 homers and 54 RBIs.

[h4]Matt Holliday[/h4] [h5]#5 LF
Oakland Athletics[/h5]
2009 STATS
  • GM93
  • HR11
  • RBI54
  • R52
  • OBP.378
  • AVG.286

But he has hit well this month, batting .344 with a .421 on-base percentage, and one scout who has seen him play said Tuesday that Holliday is swinging the bat as well now as he has all year. The Cardinals have been searching for a way to upgrade their offense to build some lineup protection for first baseman Albert Pujols.

Earlier this season, St. Louis had indicated to other teams that it did not have a lot of money to spend, but it's possible that the Cardinals' front office could navigate that issue by getting approval from ownership, or by having Oakland kick in some money to offset the money still owed to Holliday, which is about $6 million.

Oakland acquired Holliday in a trade with Colorado last fall, in the hope that he would be the anchor to the Athletics' offense. But Holliday -- and the whole Oakland offense -- has struggled for much of this year, and rival general managers have wondered if the shift in baseball's economics might compel the Athletics to move Holliday.

Holliday is earning $13.5 million in salary this season, and in order for Oakland to recoup draft picks, it would have to offer him arbitration. Holliday could be in line for an award of $16 million, something that might be more difficult for the small-market Athletics to absorb. The Yankees, after all, declined to offer Bobby Abreu arbitration last fall because they feared that he might accept it.

All Beane needs to do now is get rid of all these old veteran players.

No more Custs, O-Cabs, Giambi's, Nomar's etc..etc..

If we were a more established team I think that would have worked but we need to groom players from the ground up. Go 100% with the youth movement. Let em'take their bumps and bruises now.

I hate Cust. I seriously hope that Wallace is able to come up next year, and we can trade Cust for whatever the hell we can.

All Beane needs to do now is get rid of all these old veteran players.

No more Custs, O-Cabs, Giambi's, Nomar's etc..etc..

If we were a more established team I think that would have worked but we need to groom players from the ground up. Go 100% with the youth movement. Let em' take their bumps and bruises now.
Why even bother? As soon as those "from the ground up" players win MVP or become an All-Star we just ship them out.

Gotta love the A's baby.

Rickey gets inducted tomorrow. Should be able to catch it on MLB Network.

Can't wait to see what he comes up with for his speech. Should be
pimp.gif

im not the biggest baseball fan.

but can you guys school me on your One-A team: Vancouver Canadians. Anybody in Oakland care about them, you guys follow the team at all

its our only professional baseball team in the city

Originally Posted by Ziostilon

im not the biggest baseball fan.

but can you guys school me on your One-A team: Vancouver Canadians. Anybody in Oakland care about them, you guys follow the team at all

its our only professional baseball team in the city
Sorry don't follow em'.

But you can try http://www.athleticsnation.com/

There are fanposts that are regularly updated with stats from all the minor league affiliates. There are also other A's blogs that are linked, or you cantry the following on the club's website http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t435

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom