2011 Official Boxing Thread: 12/30 Jermain Taylor + Andre Dirrell return on ShoBox.

^ I heard it was extremely good 
pimp.gif

Some more silliness from PBF
laugh.gif

Floyd Mayweather Jr. might never fight Manny Pacquiao, but Mayweather has the pound-for-pound king on his mind.

It is unfortunate that they may never share a ring for the fight the world wants to see; at this point, Mayweather refuses to fight Pacquiao -- not to mention that Mayweather is also jammed up with multiple court cases, including eight criminal charges (four of which are felonies) stemming from an alleged domestic incident last fall with the mother of some of his children. Pacquiao is always in the spotlight, but even more so last week and this week, as he and Shane Mosley promote their Showtime pay-per-view fight, which takes place May 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. And Mayweather apparently can't stand it.

Pacquiao, Mosley and the rest of the Top Rank circus took to the road to promote the fight on a national media tour, which began last week and continued this week. Of course, Mayweather could have been the one fighting Pacquiao, but he wanted no part of it. That left Top Rank's Bob Arum to tap Mosley for the fight instead, the same way he tapped Antonio Margarito to fight in place of Mayweather in November and called on Joshua Clottey last March.

Mayweather could have had the fight each time and made perhaps as much as $50 million for his trouble.

Instead, Mayweather declined and now, just as the media attention around Pacquiao ramps up again, it is clearly driving Mayweather crazy.

Pacquiao and Mosley (who lost a lopsided decision to Mayweather last May) began their media tour on Thursday in Los Angeles. It continued Saturday in Las Vegas and Monday in New York. And then on Tuesday, Pacquiao went to Washington, D.C., to meet with Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada, whom Pacquiao (himself a congressman in the Philippines) campaigned for in November, while Mosley stayed behind in New York for a series of radio and television appearances.

Just as Pacquiao was coming to Las Vegas -- where Mayweather lives -- for Saturday's stop, Mayweather took to his Twitter account, for which he has nearly 1 million followers. In the span of six minutes he tweeted YouTube links to Pacquiao's three career defeats.

Mayweather's undefeated record is precious to him -- many believe he has avoided Pacquiao because he wants to protect it at all costs -- and he probably can't stand that Pacquiao, with three defeats, reigns supreme over boxing in a way Mayweather can't come close to matching.

Pacquiao is a great fighter. He is beloved. He is humble. And he has the nation of the Philippines behind him.

Mayweather also is a great fighter. But he is not beloved. He is not humble. And he does not have a nation behind him.

Mayweather's tweets about Pacquiao show that he doesn't grasp reality. Those old losses from years ago are all Mayweather has to hold on to when it comes to claiming an edge over Pacquiao. What Mayweather doesn't get is that nobody but him cares that Pacquiao lost three fights years ago. They mean nothing when assessing Pacquiao's greatness because he has successfully taken the risks Mayweather can't bring himself to take.

Does anyone care that Sugar Ray Robinson, universally regarded as the greatest fighter ever, lost a bunch of fights? Does anyone care that Muhammad Ali lost a few fights?

Pacquiao's first loss, a third-round knockout to Rustico Torrecampo, a footnote for eternity, came in 1996. Pacquiao was 112 pounds and 17 years old. That's ancient history that has no relevance today.

Ditto for the second loss, when a weight-drained Pacquiao was stopped in the third round by Medgoen Singsurat in 1999 and lost the flyweight title. Pacquiao, of course, has made boxing history since by winning titles in seven more divisions while becoming a star who transcends the sport.

Pacquiao's third loss came nearly six years ago, when he lost a very close decision (115-113 on all three scorecards) to future Hall of Famer Erik Morales. Pacquiao got the last laugh, though. He knocked out Morales in their second and third fights to close the book on the loss.

Mayweather's tweeting of the links smacks of a desperate grab for attention. Why else do you think Mayweather did it the midst of the Pacquiao-Mosley media tour?

That is exactly Mayweather's style.

Remember in September when Pacquiao and Margarito were in the midst of the tour promoting their Nov. 13 fight? Right in the middle of it is when Mayweather recorded a profanity-filled, racist and homophobic rant against Pacquiao in a 10-minute video he posted on the Internet.

The timing was no accident. It was simply another case of a desperate Mayweather acting out to try to muscle in on Pacquiao's spotlight.

After the video came out, Pacquiao took the high road without returning fire on Mayweather.

And even though Mayweather poked fun at him with the video links to his defeats a few days ago, the humble Pacquiao continued to take the high road.

Throughout the tour for the Mosley fight, Pacquiao has been asked about fighting Mayweather. But there has been no venom from Pacquiao. For example, when ESPN's Brian Kenny asked him about Mayweather during a "SportsCenter" interview, Pacquiao said simply, "Right now, I'm praying for his personal problem. Hopefully he can -- everything will be OK and he can fight again in boxing."

I agree with Pacquiao's sentiment. But Mayweather makes it hard to pull for him. Besides tweeting links to Pacquiao's defeats (and if he is so beatable, why not just fight him?), Mayweather has taken to bragging about his gambling winnings and tweeting photos of his winning tickets on NBA and college basketball games -- $20,000 on this game, $40,000 on that game. (Of course, he never tweets photos of his losing tickets.)

If Mayweather is happy winning 20 grand here and 40 grand there while also making himself look like a fool by bringing up Pacquiao's ancient losses instead of making maybe $50 million to fight him, so be it.

But you know what? Pacquiao, obviously, is always on his mind.

^ I heard it was extremely good 
pimp.gif

Some more silliness from PBF
laugh.gif

Floyd Mayweather Jr. might never fight Manny Pacquiao, but Mayweather has the pound-for-pound king on his mind.

It is unfortunate that they may never share a ring for the fight the world wants to see; at this point, Mayweather refuses to fight Pacquiao -- not to mention that Mayweather is also jammed up with multiple court cases, including eight criminal charges (four of which are felonies) stemming from an alleged domestic incident last fall with the mother of some of his children. Pacquiao is always in the spotlight, but even more so last week and this week, as he and Shane Mosley promote their Showtime pay-per-view fight, which takes place May 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. And Mayweather apparently can't stand it.

Pacquiao, Mosley and the rest of the Top Rank circus took to the road to promote the fight on a national media tour, which began last week and continued this week. Of course, Mayweather could have been the one fighting Pacquiao, but he wanted no part of it. That left Top Rank's Bob Arum to tap Mosley for the fight instead, the same way he tapped Antonio Margarito to fight in place of Mayweather in November and called on Joshua Clottey last March.

Mayweather could have had the fight each time and made perhaps as much as $50 million for his trouble.

Instead, Mayweather declined and now, just as the media attention around Pacquiao ramps up again, it is clearly driving Mayweather crazy.

Pacquiao and Mosley (who lost a lopsided decision to Mayweather last May) began their media tour on Thursday in Los Angeles. It continued Saturday in Las Vegas and Monday in New York. And then on Tuesday, Pacquiao went to Washington, D.C., to meet with Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada, whom Pacquiao (himself a congressman in the Philippines) campaigned for in November, while Mosley stayed behind in New York for a series of radio and television appearances.

Just as Pacquiao was coming to Las Vegas -- where Mayweather lives -- for Saturday's stop, Mayweather took to his Twitter account, for which he has nearly 1 million followers. In the span of six minutes he tweeted YouTube links to Pacquiao's three career defeats.

Mayweather's undefeated record is precious to him -- many believe he has avoided Pacquiao because he wants to protect it at all costs -- and he probably can't stand that Pacquiao, with three defeats, reigns supreme over boxing in a way Mayweather can't come close to matching.

Pacquiao is a great fighter. He is beloved. He is humble. And he has the nation of the Philippines behind him.

Mayweather also is a great fighter. But he is not beloved. He is not humble. And he does not have a nation behind him.

Mayweather's tweets about Pacquiao show that he doesn't grasp reality. Those old losses from years ago are all Mayweather has to hold on to when it comes to claiming an edge over Pacquiao. What Mayweather doesn't get is that nobody but him cares that Pacquiao lost three fights years ago. They mean nothing when assessing Pacquiao's greatness because he has successfully taken the risks Mayweather can't bring himself to take.

Does anyone care that Sugar Ray Robinson, universally regarded as the greatest fighter ever, lost a bunch of fights? Does anyone care that Muhammad Ali lost a few fights?

Pacquiao's first loss, a third-round knockout to Rustico Torrecampo, a footnote for eternity, came in 1996. Pacquiao was 112 pounds and 17 years old. That's ancient history that has no relevance today.

Ditto for the second loss, when a weight-drained Pacquiao was stopped in the third round by Medgoen Singsurat in 1999 and lost the flyweight title. Pacquiao, of course, has made boxing history since by winning titles in seven more divisions while becoming a star who transcends the sport.

Pacquiao's third loss came nearly six years ago, when he lost a very close decision (115-113 on all three scorecards) to future Hall of Famer Erik Morales. Pacquiao got the last laugh, though. He knocked out Morales in their second and third fights to close the book on the loss.

Mayweather's tweeting of the links smacks of a desperate grab for attention. Why else do you think Mayweather did it the midst of the Pacquiao-Mosley media tour?

That is exactly Mayweather's style.

Remember in September when Pacquiao and Margarito were in the midst of the tour promoting their Nov. 13 fight? Right in the middle of it is when Mayweather recorded a profanity-filled, racist and homophobic rant against Pacquiao in a 10-minute video he posted on the Internet.

The timing was no accident. It was simply another case of a desperate Mayweather acting out to try to muscle in on Pacquiao's spotlight.

After the video came out, Pacquiao took the high road without returning fire on Mayweather.

And even though Mayweather poked fun at him with the video links to his defeats a few days ago, the humble Pacquiao continued to take the high road.

Throughout the tour for the Mosley fight, Pacquiao has been asked about fighting Mayweather. But there has been no venom from Pacquiao. For example, when ESPN's Brian Kenny asked him about Mayweather during a "SportsCenter" interview, Pacquiao said simply, "Right now, I'm praying for his personal problem. Hopefully he can -- everything will be OK and he can fight again in boxing."

I agree with Pacquiao's sentiment. But Mayweather makes it hard to pull for him. Besides tweeting links to Pacquiao's defeats (and if he is so beatable, why not just fight him?), Mayweather has taken to bragging about his gambling winnings and tweeting photos of his winning tickets on NBA and college basketball games -- $20,000 on this game, $40,000 on that game. (Of course, he never tweets photos of his losing tickets.)

If Mayweather is happy winning 20 grand here and 40 grand there while also making himself look like a fool by bringing up Pacquiao's ancient losses instead of making maybe $50 million to fight him, so be it.

But you know what? Pacquiao, obviously, is always on his mind.

Junior flyweight champion Giovani Segura and Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon, who waged one of the most intense and action-packed fights of 2010, will meet again April 2 in Campeche, Mexico.

Mexico's Segura traveled to Calderon's native Puerto Rico for the first fight on Aug. 28 and knocked Calderon out in the eighth round in one of the leading Fight of the Year candidates. He handed longtime champion Calderon his first defeat, unified alphabet belts and claimed the lineal championship of the 108-pound division.

[h4]Rafael's Boxing Blog[/h4]
rafael_dan_m.jpg

Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

For the rematch, however, Calderon will travel to Mexico to meet Segura on his turf.

"Now it will be different because I'm going to fight with better training and without injuries," Calderon said Tuesday at a news conference in his hometown of Guaynabo to announce the bout, which will be televised on Integrated Sports pay-per-view in the United States. "We are working right now and no matter that the fight is in Mexico, I'm going to show my boxing, my movements to win this title again. I want to thank Segura for giving me this opportunity."

Said Segura, "He gave me the opportunity and now we give him the same opportunity, but I'm going to the fight in the best condition to retain this title against a great boxer like Calderon."

Calderon, 36, a longtime strawweight champion before moving up in weight to claim the title at junior flyweight, was a regular on the pound-for-pound list and one of the most dominant fighters of the past decade, a peerless technician with superb defense.

However, Segura, 28, a wild swinging brawler with tremendous punching power, stalked him throughout their first fight. He eventually caught up to him, broke him down and stopped him with a vicious body assault.Their contract called for a rematch, but terms were not spelled out, including the specific weight. Segura (26-1-1, 22 KOs), who has trouble making the 108-pound junior flyweight limit, wanted the rematch to take place in the 112-pound flyweight division.

After months of negotiation between the camps, Segura agreed to make the weight one more time if Calderon (34-1-1, 6 KOs) agreed to fight him in Mexico.

"I guess it's the biggest fight for the most money for him," said Richard Mota, Segura's manager. "When you're in the small weight classes there are not too many options. Giovani said, 'He wants the rematch, I'll give it to him.' He knows he will struggle to make the weight, but he'll give it to him. He said he could make the weight one more time. He really wanted to move up to 112, but this is the right fight. Everyone wants to see the rematch, and it's the biggest money fight for him.

"I know we're getting more money than Calderon and we got a good deal with the pay-per-view [upside] and all that. We couldn't say no, so we're going to do the rematch. We have nothing but respect for Calderon. He's a great champion. He's proven it. Giovani has nothing bad to say about Calderon. I know Giovani is very excited to come back to Mexico for a big fight like this. He's training very hard. He's already in shape. It's just the weight. He'll struggle a little bit."

Calderon and Segura will continue their promotional efforts for the fight with a news conference in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Junior flyweight champion Giovani Segura and Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon, who waged one of the most intense and action-packed fights of 2010, will meet again April 2 in Campeche, Mexico.

Mexico's Segura traveled to Calderon's native Puerto Rico for the first fight on Aug. 28 and knocked Calderon out in the eighth round in one of the leading Fight of the Year candidates. He handed longtime champion Calderon his first defeat, unified alphabet belts and claimed the lineal championship of the 108-pound division.

[h4]Rafael's Boxing Blog[/h4]
rafael_dan_m.jpg

Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

For the rematch, however, Calderon will travel to Mexico to meet Segura on his turf.

"Now it will be different because I'm going to fight with better training and without injuries," Calderon said Tuesday at a news conference in his hometown of Guaynabo to announce the bout, which will be televised on Integrated Sports pay-per-view in the United States. "We are working right now and no matter that the fight is in Mexico, I'm going to show my boxing, my movements to win this title again. I want to thank Segura for giving me this opportunity."

Said Segura, "He gave me the opportunity and now we give him the same opportunity, but I'm going to the fight in the best condition to retain this title against a great boxer like Calderon."

Calderon, 36, a longtime strawweight champion before moving up in weight to claim the title at junior flyweight, was a regular on the pound-for-pound list and one of the most dominant fighters of the past decade, a peerless technician with superb defense.

However, Segura, 28, a wild swinging brawler with tremendous punching power, stalked him throughout their first fight. He eventually caught up to him, broke him down and stopped him with a vicious body assault.Their contract called for a rematch, but terms were not spelled out, including the specific weight. Segura (26-1-1, 22 KOs), who has trouble making the 108-pound junior flyweight limit, wanted the rematch to take place in the 112-pound flyweight division.

After months of negotiation between the camps, Segura agreed to make the weight one more time if Calderon (34-1-1, 6 KOs) agreed to fight him in Mexico.

"I guess it's the biggest fight for the most money for him," said Richard Mota, Segura's manager. "When you're in the small weight classes there are not too many options. Giovani said, 'He wants the rematch, I'll give it to him.' He knows he will struggle to make the weight, but he'll give it to him. He said he could make the weight one more time. He really wanted to move up to 112, but this is the right fight. Everyone wants to see the rematch, and it's the biggest money fight for him.

"I know we're getting more money than Calderon and we got a good deal with the pay-per-view [upside] and all that. We couldn't say no, so we're going to do the rematch. We have nothing but respect for Calderon. He's a great champion. He's proven it. Giovani has nothing bad to say about Calderon. I know Giovani is very excited to come back to Mexico for a big fight like this. He's training very hard. He's already in shape. It's just the weight. He'll struggle a little bit."

Calderon and Segura will continue their promotional efforts for the fight with a news conference in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Not enough stonefaces to express my disappoint in hearing that. Is JMM mad that he basically priced himself out of a Morales fight and Marcos took it for relatively low money? Or is there a fight on the horizon for him? I know his mandatory is Ghost and he's fighting Katsidis on the 9th.

Not enough stonefaces to express my disappoint in hearing that. Is JMM mad that he basically priced himself out of a Morales fight and Marcos took it for relatively low money? Or is there a fight on the horizon for him? I know his mandatory is Ghost and he's fighting Katsidis on the 9th.

JMM taking that fight would've meant he sign an extension with GBP. Basically, he's pulling a Mosley in thinking that once his contract expires, Arum will do business with him and he'll get Manny.

EDIT: Damn, I really need to fix up my TeamBoxing sig...
laugh.gif

JMM taking that fight would've meant he sign an extension with GBP. Basically, he's pulling a Mosley in thinking that once his contract expires, Arum will do business with him and he'll get Manny.

EDIT: Damn, I really need to fix up my TeamBoxing sig...
laugh.gif

I think I had read somewhere that GB still has a clause that would let them hold on to JMM for 12 more months after it expires. Don't quote me though, it may have been about Amir Khan.

I think I had read somewhere that GB still has a clause that would let them hold on to JMM for 12 more months after it expires. Don't quote me though, it may have been about Amir Khan.

Back
Top Bottom