2012-2013 Los Angeles Lakers= Biggest Bust in Pro Sports History?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Broussard is on First Take and he went out of his way to say that this years Lakers team is the biggest bust in pro sports history.

I know how NT feels about this guy, but his statement does raise interest.

What do you guys think?

A team with Kobe Bryant who is arguably a top 10 playersof All-Time, Steve Nash who is going to go down as one of the best PG's of all time, Dwight Howard who is the BEST center in the league and Pau Gasol who helped bring 2 championships to LA.

The Lakers had all this hype before the season started and everyone was talking about an LA vs Miami NBA Finals.

The reason why he says they're a bust is because they couldn't even make the PLAYOFFS. Let's forget NBA Finals or winning 50-60 games for a mins. We're talking about the PLAYOFFS!!! :lol:

Video of what Chris Broussard said should be up soon.

Last edited:
This is going to be a warzone. :lol:

My take, is that it should be taken into consideration they were never healthy during the season between Howard's back/shoulder, Pau's knees/feet, Nash's leg/hamstring, Hill's hip, MWP's knee and Kobe's ankle. And this is with a top heavy team where one of their weaknesses was their lack of depth.

But overall, if they do end up missing the playoffs they will be a bust. I'm not sure about biggest bust in pro sports history though.

Last edited:
Absolutely is ONE of the biggest in history. Would have to think about it more to come up with a concrete yes or no. But off the top of my head, I cant think of a bigger bust right now.

Last edited:
Shouldn't we be waiting to see how everything plays out before we talk about this? 

I mean, yes I am well aware how incredibly improbable this is....but what if the Lakers sneak in as the 8 seed and then go on a massive run through the playoffs? 

This was not thread worthy yet, the season is not over.

But yes, this is and would be. Not just because of the talent, but because of the money they're spending. Lakers have a 100 million dollar payroll - without the luxury tax.

Still tho, thread could have waited. Lock it up.

can they at least finish the season before we make these statements?

anyways, spending the most money and assembling the biggest names doesn't guarantee championships. people with real basketball knowledge had to know this probably wouldn't be as smooth as everyone thought. nash needs the ball to be a the mvp caliber player he was, but for the most part kobe does too. dwight was hurt coming into the season so the expectations of him shouldn't have been so high. their depth was ALWAYS an issue. not to mention the inept coaching...

This was not thread worthy yet, the season is not over.

But yes, this is and would be. Not just because of the talent, but because of the money they're spending. Lakers have a 100 million dollar payroll - without the luxury tax.

Still tho, thread could have waited. Lock it up.

the yankees fit this description every year

Last edited:
I agree that this topic is a bit premature, because the season still hasn't been over for them. But after 5 more games, we'll see what transpires.

Last edited:
This is going to be a warzone. :lol:

My take, is that it should be taken into consideration they were never healthy during the season between Howard's back/shoulder, Pau's knees/feet, Nash's leg/hamstring, Hill's hip, MWP's knee and Kobe's ankle. And this is with a top heavy team where one of their weaknesses was their lack of depth.

But overall, if they do end up missing the playoffs they will be a bust. I'm not sure about biggest bust in pro sports history though.

All true, but all of that should at least translate to a playoff spot. No way should they be in the 9th spot with 5 games to go. They are certainly in the top 5 biggest bust of all time if they can't manage to get in the playoffs with this roster.

[quote name="nycknicks105 (OP)"]I agree that this topic is a bit premature, because the season still hasn't been over for them. But after 5 more games, we'll see what transpires.[/quote]*locked*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom