2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

How are teams overrated if they've won multiple championships since 1989? I'm not following.

For argument's sake, would the definition of overrated BE a team like Oregon? Great recruiting classes, conference titles galore, and how many national championships?

Personally, I don't think they're overrated....but I'm finding holes in Dr. Funk's POV on this topic. Just my .02

Last edited:
Those 24 years, Wash St was in the top 25 SIX!!!!!! times, so they gain a "positive" ranking. :rofl: :rofl:

Nevada Reno is rated ahead of the bottom 10, with one single top 25 finish in 24 years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You ****** Duck fans are somethin else.

Those 24 years, Wash St was in the top 25 SIX!!!!!! times, so they gain a "positive" ranking. :rofl: :rofl:

Nevada Reno is rated ahead of the bottom 10, with one single top 25 finish in 24 years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You ****** Duck fans are somethin else.

I just find it funny that you can't believe somebody would believe something different from you. You have your method of how you view college football, what I would call an absolute view. Win the national title every year or you're a failure.

I (like many others) have their own view of the sport. Can't you just be okay with that?

You listed Utah, Wash St, Cincy, BYU, and the Pac 12 as underrated.

Then listed multiple, multiple championship teams as overrated.

No ******g God damn way can I be ok with understanding that. I'd kill myself. :lol: :lol:

Naw naw naw Yankees and Red Sox, the Royals, that's where its at MLB. :lol:

Keep your Lakers and Celtics, the Raptors, that's where the NBA makes its money.

Makes sense. :lol:

No ******g God damn way can I be ok with understanding that. I'd kill myself. :lol: :lol:

Keep your Lakers and Celtics, the Raptors, that's where the NBA makes its money.

They were over/underrated in terms of their rankings. Sure teams have won titles but they obviously haven't been able to sustain that and voters are consistently overrating those teams based on their prestige, past season results etc.

The underrated teams are teams that have been undervalued by voters and by season's end, they've earned the respect of voters to be ranked. That's my main point.

I made a post i guess it got lost in the sauce but im not addressing that post up there again, too much stupid.

Bama offered Josh Malone yesterday

They were over/underrated in terms of their rankings. Sure teams have won titles but they obviously haven't been able to sustain that and voters are consistently overrating those teams based on their prestige, past season results etc.

The underrated teams are teams that have been undervalued by voters and by season's end, they've earned the respect of voters to be ranked. That's my main point.

maybe they were undervalued by voters for never winning anything major, but what do i know.

So a team is only good if said team has won a championship that non of the current players won? By that logic why isn't Princeton a preseason top 25?

Weren't we just in here talking about that underrated/overrated list not too long ago? Of course the mid majors would dominate a list like that.

And still smh at Washington State.

Seems like most people argue over how good other people view their team. Somebody will say "so-and-so sucks because they've never won anything" or "this program is better than that one because of x-many championships".

Just state why you think a team is good or bad this year based on this years facts. For instance I think Oregon, in a hypothetical matchup, would have a chance of beating this years Alabama team because Texas a&m hung 42 points on a Bama team that had a year and a bye week to prepare.

This "your team sucks because you're stupid and my conference wins" argument is so tiring. Just give me asinine facts and stats at least. Make things interesting. Be creative. The s&t section deserves a smarter type of fan.

Most underrated teams since 1989?

1. Oregon
2. Boise State
3. Washington State
4. Utah
5. Kansas State
6. TCU
7. Boston College
8. Cincy
9. Stanford
10. BYU

(for those counting, that's six teams west of the Rockies in the top ten)

Let's look at the most overrated teams since 1989:

1. Oklahoma
2. USC
3. Texas
4. FSU
5. Nebraska
6. Michigan
7. Notre Dame
8. The U
9. Florida
10. Clemson

Looks like people are hanging on to "history" and not the reality that is today's game.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oregon as the most underrated team since 1989 :lol: :lol:

That's like the hottest ***** in the game complaining that she hasn't got a ring on her finger, but gets constant play.

7 out of the 10 teams you listed as "overrated" actually won titles in the time span you listed, some won multiple titles. Yet you put it upon yourself to put Oregon as underrated, when they have been put on a pedestal the past decade but just can't quite seal the deal. Oregon's been hyped since the Bellotti days. Nobody called the Buffalo Bills underrated, *shrugs*

:lol: thanks for the laugh though, that list is jokes.

As far as this weekend, don't even want to think about it :smh::smh:

For the record we weren't getting much love from anyone from 1989 until Pete Carroll arrived in 2002, and even then his hiring wasn't applauded. The only season I could think of that SC got love was 1995 when Keyshawn led the team to the Rose Bowl. After Pete, it's been rough, there was one good season under CLK (11-2) otherwise it's been mediocre and no one is making excuses. The #1 preseason ranking aside before the 2012 season, we haven't been ranked in the top 15 since Pete left outside of the 2011 season when the team wasn't eligible for postseason play, but we did beat Oregon :smokin

Just the Pete Carroll era:

Two BCS Championship Game appearances: 2005 win over Oklahoma[vacate 1] and 2006 loss to Texas
The Associated Press 2003 National Championship
The Associated Press 2004 National Championship
Seven consecutive Associated Press Top-4 finishes
Six BCS bowl victories
Seven consecutive BCS bowl appearances
A national-record 33 consecutive weeks as the Associated Press's No. 1-ranked team
A winning record of 97–19 (83.6%)
A winning record of 14–2 against traditional rivals Notre Dame and UCLA
A NCAA record of 63 straight 20-point games
Twenty-five 1st team All-Americans
53 players selected in the NFL Draft, including 14 in the first round[49]
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Carson Palmer in 2002, Matt Leinart in 2004, and Reggie Bush in 2005
Four Top-5 recruiting classes
34-game winning streak (2003–04)
Win streaks for home games (21) and Pac-10 home games (17)
A 25–1 record in the month of November

Last edited:
So a team is only good if said team has won a championship that non of the current players won? By that logic why isn't Princeton a preseason top 25?

you posted a list of underrated and overrated teams since 1989. you're overrated teams had accomplished programs that had great runs of success, and you're underrated teams were programs that had success here and there but haven't won much of anything.

teams that have a greater track record will always be held in higher regard with voters.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oregon as the most underrated team since 1989 :lol: :lol:

That's like the hottest ***** in the game complaining that she hasn't got a ring on her finger, but gets constant play.

7 out of the 10 teams you listed as "overrated" actually won titles in the time span you listed, some won multiple titles. Yet you put it upon yourself to put Oregon as underrated, when they have been put on a pedestal the past decade but just can't quite seal the deal. Oregon's been hyped since the Bellotti days. Nobody called the Buffalo Bills underrated, *shrugs*

:lol: thanks for the laugh though, that list is jokes.

As far as this weekend, don't even want to think about it :smh::smh:

For the record we weren't getting much love from anyone from 1989 until Pete Carroll arrived in 2002, and even then his hiring wasn't applauded. The only season I could think of that SC got love was 1995 when Keyshawn led the team to the Rose Bowl. After Pete, it's been rough, there was one good season under CLK (11-2) otherwise it's been mediocre and no one is making excuses. The #1 preseason ranking aside before the 2012 season, we haven't been ranked in the top 15 since Pete left outside of the 2011 season when the team wasn't eligible for postseason play, but we did beat Oregon :smokin

Just the Pete Carroll era:

Two BCS Championship Game appearances: 2005 win over Oklahoma[vacate 1] and 2006 loss to Texas
The Associated Press 2003 National Championship
The Associated Press 2004 National Championship
Seven consecutive Associated Press Top-4 finishes
Six BCS bowl victories
Seven consecutive BCS bowl appearances
A national-record 33 consecutive weeks as the Associated Press's No. 1-ranked team
A winning record of 97–19 (83.6%)
A winning record of 14–2 against traditional rivals Notre Dame and UCLA
A NCAA record of 63 straight 20-point games
Twenty-five 1st team All-Americans
53 players selected in the NFL Draft, including 14 in the first round[49]
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Carson Palmer in 2002, Matt Leinart in 2004, and Reggie Bush in 2005
Four Top-5 recruiting classes
34-game winning streak (2003–04)
Win streaks for home games (21) and Pac-10 home games (17)
A 25–1 record in the month of November

I only pulled that list from the website that was listed earlier. It wasn't a reflection of who I felt was overrated, but what the numbers showed based on rankings.

As far as my personal opinion goes, USC was the best overall team from 2002-2008. I'm not trying to suck up to you or anything; I watched a lot of USC football during that span and they had some incredible teams, in no way am I denying that. Yes, I support Oregon, but I'm not stupid enough to deny great teams when I see them. I just don't like that some teams are given the benefit of the doubt because of their "history" rather than really looking at the teams objectively (pollsters I mean). Justing using USC as an example, but you could say the same thing about Michigan, TCU, Texas from this year. What did any of those teams do to deserve their preseason ranking? USC and TCU were coming off 7-6 seasons. My point is that preseason rankings are more often wrong than right. If I'm not mistaken, the only year in which the two teams who were ranked #1 and #2 in the preseason to make it to the title game was 2005 (USC & Texas).

I really think that if we got rid of preseason rankings that we would find a little more level playing field. Teams should earn their ranking based on the results of the current season. Three or four weeks into a season generally gives people enough time to evaluate a team and for a team to manifest itself in terms of how good they are. Sure, sometimes it takes later, but at least we're making teams earn recognition than be granted it just based on what conference they play in or what they did in previous seasons.

As somebody posted before, it's really hard to define success in a game where you cannot control your own destiny. If the top ten ranked teams were able to participate in a playoff, then I think we'd have a much better way of determining who really is the best team in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom