2014 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (84-78) .. Essential's Offseason thread coming soon

I think they're gonna wait a while before even thinking about extending Robertson. They don't wanna pay him closer type money then for him to prove that he's not made for the role.

Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN now

Brian McCann laces a single to center, scoring Jacoby Ellsbury. The plan is working to perfection.

I think they're gonna wait a while before even thinking about extending Robertson. They don't wanna pay him closer type money then for him to prove that he's not made for the role.

But on the flipside, D-Rob can come out save 31 out of 35 games then the Yanks have to pay him top closer dollars whereas now they'd only have to pay him set up dollars

I'd rather do that and extend him and have what happens to so many relievers who sign multi-year deals. They break down too easy and often to guarantee him anything now.

But on the flipside, D-Rob can come out save 31 out of 35 games then the Yanks have to pay him top closer dollars whereas now they'd only have to pay him set up dollars
If they extend him now, they'd probably have to pay him closer money because he is their closer at the moment. 

I wish your team would bend on the whole tradition of not allowing players to have facial hair.  Brian Wilson would be your closer if you would.  Instead, you have a question mark.

I must be in the minority because I'm a big fan of Robertson. Then again, closers are overrated to begin with.

I must be in the minority because I'm a big fan of Robertson. Then again, closers are overrated to begin with.

That's exactly the thing. The only closer who ever deserved extensions and money over years just retired :smh:

There's way too many BJ Ryan's and Billy Koch's for every Mo for my liking.

I see the point not to. But still think they should.

Even if he bombs as a closer, he's still one of the better bullpen arms.

Yankees Hot Stove: Could New York's catching depth land them one of Arizona's shortstops?

It would appear that the Yankees have somewhat of an abundance of catchers at the moment. Brian McCann and one of Francisco Cervelli, Austin Romine, or J.R. Murphy will be on the big league team, but with Gary Sanchez in Double-A, there's only room for one player in Triple-A. Unfortunately, while they have wealth at one position, they also have a dearth in several others. Derek Jeter is retiring and Brian Roberts is going to break, so they could use an infielder or two.

Cervelli is the likely candidate to win the backup job, so if the Yankees want to trade what they have for what they need, they might look to deal one of Romine or Murphy. If that's what they have to give, then the Diamondbacks might be a perfect fit. They are said to be looking for a young MLB-ready catcher to play behind starter Miguel Montero and that they would be willing to trade one of their shortstops, Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings, to get what they want.

It's like the Diamondbacks are specifically talking to them because I can't think of another team who has what they are looking for and also needs what they have. Gregorius, 24, hit .252/.332/.373 while playing just slightly under league-average defense at short in his first full season. Owings, 22, one of Arizona's top prospects, hit .291/.361/.382 in his first taste of the majors, splitting time between short and second base in just 20 games. While Gregorius might be had in a one-for-one swap for Murphy, Owings would take a little more to pry free. It's believed that either one would fill in at second base until Derek Jeter retires and then could replace the Captain in 2015.

The Chicago White Sox have previously scouted J.R. Murphy as well, so it's clear that the Yankees have what teams want. Now that Robinson Cano has gone, Jeter is retiring, and no one seems ready to replace them, it would make a lot of sense for the Yankees to try and find a young player who can fit in as a longterm option.

http://www.pinstripealley.com/yanke...-trade-gregorius-owings-murphy-romine-sanchez

Said it the day we signed McCann, pretty much need to trade those guys. They serve us very little purpose. With McCann & Cervelli, at least one of Romine & Murphy has to go. When you consider Sanchez is coming for their spot, makes it easier.

With Gardner & Ellsbury signed long term, maybe including an OF prospect with either Romine & Murphy, might get us Owings. Who has potential.

Last edited:
I wish your team would bend on the whole tradition of not allowing players to have facial hair.  Brian Wilson would be your closer if you would.  Instead, you have a question mark.

Wilson isn't as good as everyone thinks.

He was all hype and then a marketing project.

He's now the 8th inning guy in LA.

If he's so good why not go be a closer for the countless teams that need one right now?

I see the point not to. But still think they should.

Even if he bombs as a closer, he's still one of the better bullpen arms.

But if he bombs as a closer, after getting closer money, then you a royally F'd

You're gonna pay 5-8mil a year to a guy who gets you holds? No.

Last edited:
http://www.pinstripealley.com/yanke...-trade-gregorius-owings-murphy-romine-sanchez

Said it the day we signed McCann, pretty much need to trade those guys. They serve us very little purpose. With McCann & Cervelli, at least one of Romine & Murphy has to go. When you consider Sanchez is coming for their spot, makes it easier.

With Gardner & Ellsbury signed long term, maybe including an OF prospect with either Romine & Murphy, might get us Owings. Who has potential.

the one legit OF prospect we have is Mason Williams. He will be someone who should be up I think next year. Kid is a monster.

Then again, we said the same thing for the Killer B's

Jete looks almost as fat as boomer. Have a feeling in like 3 years he's gonna look just like his dad

CC - 2 innings pitched, allowed 2 hits, weight loss noticeable...no pitch topped 88mph...something to monitor.

McCann, who hit a HR yesterday, doubled to left center in his 1st AB today. Excited to watch him.

Sidenote - Gary Sanchez, our (hopefully) catcher of the future hit a HR yesterday too.

Perhaps CC is going the Andy route and will depend on locating versus overpowering

this guy stinks :lol:

jk, i like what i see , only thing i don't like is his pants, too big at the bottom ....

Tanaka gets the K, gives up one hit. Shows off a slew of pitches. Good location, slider and splitter will be deadly.

Fastball steady at 92-94.

Singleton says he can dial it up more if he gets in a jam and needs to.

That split is nasty. Especially when he's ahead in the count. Y'all wanna send him to the Phils for Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez?

Back
Top Bottom