2014 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (84-78) .. Essential's Offseason thread coming soon

Good call by Wave. Yankees were in Arizona today scouting Diaz. Other teams present were Cards, Jays, Mariners, Giants, Padres. Twins were thought to be interested initially.

Aledmys Diaz. He's cleared to sign in 2 weeks.
Aledymys had his workout today. The Yanks, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Mariners, Padres and Giants were there watching him today. According to scouts, there are questions about his defense and think his future is probably going to be at 2nd instead of ss. 

salute to the captain.
A historical career to say the least.

I kind of wish he announced his retirement later on this season. Because now the media will feast on this all season long. I dont want to hear or read about this every day on papers and the 'net.

On another note, I feel so old. Seeing a career and begin :smh:

It hurt me when Ken Griffery Jr retired, being my favorite player.
But being a life-long NY'er, Jeters retirement is closer to home

If Trout doesn't work out a deal with the Angels I definitely see the Yanks offering him something ridiculous like 12 years 325 million.

I would EASILY give a 25 year old free agent Mike Trout 10 years/$300mm :lol:

I'm praying they don't sign him to an extension just to see how massive the bidding war would get between the Dodgers, Cubs, Rangers and Yankees.

I'm praying they don't sign him to an extension just to see how massive the bidding war would get between the Dodgers, Cubs, Rangers and Yankees.
Same here, he is worth it... Cano was smoking that good kush when he was asking for that deal at 31....

Pitchers & Catchers have reported :pimp: .

Pitchers and catchers report to Steinbrenner Field this morning. This is a day for physicals, but no official workout. It’s mostly just settling in, setting up, and taking care of all the little things that need to be finished before the real work begins tomorrow. Joe Girardi was supposed to do his annual preseason press conference this morning, but that’s been pushed back to mid-afternoon because of his own travel difficulties. But on a day like this, the timing of a press conference is little more than a technicality.

Brian McCann, Austin Romine and Francisco Cervelli have each spent time in the indoor batting cages with Kevin Long. Didn’t look like a real official round of batting practice, but they were certainly getting some work done on Day 1.

-LoHud

Last edited:
Yankees might have the inside track since Trout is from Jersey.
If being from NJ is an advantage then the Phils would have the inside track to signing him if he was a free agent. Trout always stated that he was and still is a huge Phils fan. But the Yanks do have the advantage when it comes to money, history, prestige, etc. I just want him to become a free agent so we can see the bidding war for him between the Yanks, Dodgers, Phils, Angels, and any other big market team that wants to win.

Trout is going to the team that pays him the most in record fashion. 10/$350M is not out of the question here. Five-tool player, best in baseball. In his immediate prime.

Jeter is the “ideal” No. 2 hitter
The batting order is still undecided, but Girardi said it would be “ideal” to have Jeter in the No. 2 spot to avoid stacking left-handed hitters. That likely means Brett Gardner will be batting near the bottom of the order. As for the middle of the order, Girardi said he’ll play around with different lineups this spring. Without Robinson Cano, there’s no obvious standout to build the lineup around.

“I think we have a collection of very good hitters this year,” Girardi said. “I think our lineup is much deeper than it was last year from top to bottom. There’s more balance with some of the switch-hitters; Tex coming back and Beltran. Having Soriano the whole year, bringing Jeet back, I think there’s much more balance in our lineup. But as far as having that one guy that maybe you center the lineup around, I would say no.”

Kelly Johnson is the backup first baseman
Other than Mark Teixeira, the only true first baseman invited to Yankees camp is minor league free agent Russ Canzler. Girardi said that for now he’s considering utility man Kelly Johnson — who’s started two Major League games at first base — to be the team’s backup first baseman. The Yankees have not discussed the idea of teaching catcher Brian McCann to play some first.

“I would say right now our backup first baseman would be Kelly Johnson if Tex needed a day off, and he’s going to need some days off,” Girardi said. “Everything has been positive signs for Tex. At times I talked about, it’s one thing to go through minor league rehab games and your workouts and your BP, because it can be a little bit guarded. But it’s another thing when you get into a big league game and it’s not so guarded. So I think you just have to pay attention to what he’s saying and the signs that he’s giving off. But I feel pretty good about his wrist, and I’m really looking forward to having him back.”

Dave Robertson is (almost) officially the closer
Logically, we all know this to be true, but aside from a brief comment from Hal Steinbrenner, the Yankees have not exactly named Dave Robertson as the ninth-inning replacement for Mariano Rivera. Girardi basically did that today, and set some expectations for the way Robertson should handle the transition.

“I think he has all the ability in the world,” Girardi said. “And you think about closers, and you want pitchers that are strikeout guys. And that’s exactly what he has. I think for Robby, I remember coming in at a much smaller stage and you’re compared to someone. And then Tino was compared to Don Mattingly. And it’s important for Robby that he’s just himself, and that if something does go wrong one day, you’re going to be compared to Mo. You know what, I think Mo blew six or seven saves last year. Mo was human too, and you can’t get too caught up in just one game. I would love to say he’s going to go 45-for-45, but even the greatest closers of all time don’t do that. So for us, it’s just if it does become a media buzz or something, we just have to help him control it.”

Michael Pineda is a possibility in the bullpen
Not that the Yankees are looking for this to happen, but the team isn’t opposed to the idea of putting Michael Pineda in the bullpen if he doesn’t make the rotation. Some high-end pitchers like Pineda are stretched out in the minors if they don’t make the big league rotation, but the Yankees bullpen is wide open enough that Pineda could slide into a bullpen role if he don’t win the fifth-starter competition.

“We envision him as a starter,” Girardi said. “But I think that when we take a look at this, we’ve got to see how he’s doing as a starter. Then, once we pick our starters, we’ve got to pick what we believe is our best bullpen. So the answer to that is, I think anything is possible, but we envision him as a starter.”

-LoHud

CC is 275lbs, and that's thin :smh: .

Buster Olney suggested 10/$400M.

If it gets to a bidding war, he'll get $400mm. Over 10 years? Maybe...I think if he gets $400mm, it'll be 12 or 13 years. A huge gamble but an extremely high reward. Even with 60% of his value.

If it gets to a bidding war, he'll get $400mm. Over 10 years? Maybe...I think if he gets $400mm, it'll be 12 or 13 years. A huge gamble but an extremely high reward. Even with 60% of his value.
I've heard another theory. Throw him more money per to cut down the years. Like 5/$200M.

Agent would never let him do that, don't blame him either. Honestly, he's got nowhere to go but down. As enticing as that is, they've gotta hold out for a double digit year.

BTW, only talking if he hits free agency. If the Angels offer that, run with it :lol: he'll hit free agency at what, 28? :x

Agent would never let him do that, don't blame him either. Honestly, he's got nowhere to go but down. As enticing as that is, they've gotta hold out for a double digit year.

BTW, only talking if he hits free agency. If the Angels offer that, run with it :lol: he'll hit free agency at what, 28? :x
Can they? I know Trout is an anomaly and separate entity from Albert, Josh, and Wilson. Can the Angels really keep gunning and paying out these exorbitant contracts? Ideally you move Albert or Josh, if there's even one taker out there. Trumbo's gone. They don't have enough young arms despite trying for Archie.

Can they? I know Trout is an anomaly and separate entity from Albert, Josh, and Wilson. Can the Angels really keep gunning and paying out these exorbitant contracts? Ideally you move Albert or Josh, if there's even one taker out there. Trumbo's gone. They don't have enough young arms despite trying for Archie.

uh this is the yankees thread take that angels noise elsewhere. *please excuse my angels hate*

Back
Top Bottom