2014 NIKE FREE 5.0 & FLYKNIT FREE 4/1/14

Got them in and immediately threw them on. The fit is TTS and starts off on the snug side but it breaks in a tad as I’m wearing them around the house. I’m reminded of the Kobe 5 especially at the toe box where there isn’t any dead space for me. The mesh does stretch as flex and my toes are allowed to splay a little bit. The toe rand and the fuse piece on top of the big toes do a good job of containing my toes and you can definitely feel it there. Even with the laces tied, I can pull these on and off. No heel slip thanks to that Achilles pad (second pic).

They look pretty clean imo, and my only initial concerns are the toe rand breaking in, and how squeaky the outsole can be on tiled or wooden floors because it’s pretty much all Phylon down there.

21170F8B-6CF0-47F4-9293-4840278175BB.jpeg FC1F8504-80D4-4CD5-B1C1-2C36C77DF3E1.jpeg

For reference: i have normal feet, normal width, and I'm TTS in pretty much all nikes

Last edited:
Nike ID up for the new free runs today.
Interesting to see how they allow to choose between a 3.0 or 5.0 midsole for these

Nike ID up for the new free runs today.
Interesting to see how they allow to choose between a 3.0 or 5.0 midsole for these

This is super tempting. I want a 3.0 sole but with narrow feet i worry about no laces and the lack of lock down. Best of both worlds when i can ID a 5.0 upper on a 3.0 sole

interested how these will look with jeans... predicting not too well..

i'm sure the nike rift heads are loving these though!

interested how these will look with jeans... predicting not too well..

i'm sure the nike rift heads are loving these though!

I could see these working casually with jeans depending on what kind of cut they’re in lol

Trying to hold out for these to go on sale, but very tempted to just pull the trigger on making an ID

got to say the 5.0s looks good on foot but damn, i am so washed and spoiled by cushioned shoes that I am not sure I can run anything past 2-3 miles in these

walking around outdoors and you can just feel how little cushioning there is, when you start running the shoes isn't as bad and it is insanely light and really feel like you have nothing on your feet

the upper was a bit tight for my high instep but again when running it isn't as bad though in longer runs i am sure it'll kill me but its also what keeps it secure

the upper also has that crunchy feel, hard to explain but it wants to snap back on your strides right on the top and you can feel that crunch but not in a bad way, would probably go away after break in

overall, its a nice sleek silhouette of a shoe and i can recommend it for quick and short runs but you;d definitely feel it on the balls of your feet, it is afterall a barefoot running shoe and it accomplishes that

free 5.0 3.jpg

when they mention in the description on NDC it's ideal for runs up to 3 miles kinda wary for me to try them. last time i tried a pair of free's was when the flyknit ones first came out.

well yea that's obvious i meant Nike advertised them differently during the barefoot craze a couple years ago.
Yeah for sure (almost a decade ago actually :frown:). To be fair the sole is completely different now so I don’t know how this years are in terms of long runs.

Nike is all about the 4% marketing now so they’re trying to steer everyone to that for long runs. Nike is funny with the marketing too because “4%” is a complete lie lol

Finally got a pair of the 3.0s and I really like them. They're super flexible and feel like a 2nd skin. Nike really knocked out the park with these if you're looking for minimalistic trainers that move with your foot. Definitely ideal for weightlifting.

Back
Top Bottom