2015-2016 NBA Regular Season - MDA to HOU - All-NBA - Harden snubbed - Anthony Davis is broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the contract situation hurts both Clarkson and the Lakers. I've *****ed enough times about it in the Lakers thread.

Edit:

FYI: Teams can only sign second round picks to three or four year contracts if they are under the cap. The Lakers could have done this, but they used the cap space instead to claim Boozer last summer. Hence, why Clarkson got a two year contract.

Thankfully the Lakers seem to have learned from their mistake last summer because they signed Anthony Brown to a three year contract over the summer.

You keep saying this hurts the lakers and I still don't see it. This is the best position they could be in. Saying boozer's contract caused this is flat out wrong, stop saying that :lol:. Also you keep ignoring the fact that Clarkson would've had to agree to a 3 or 4 year deal which would have been a Longshot and out of the lakers hands anyway

Last edited:
yall boys wilin with your stash accounts. shows you think ahead though. stash acct lets you run your lips freely while the main account can remain 'innocent'

So.....this happened.

WarmheartedMistyKitfox.0.gif

:rofl: :rofl:

*Razor Ramon voice* Ay yo *

You keep saying this hurts the lakers and I still don't see it. This is the best position they could be in. Saying boozer's contract caused this is flat out wrong, stop saying that
laugh.gif
. Also you keep ignoring the fact that Clarkson would've had to agree to a 3 or 4 year deal which would have been a Longshot and out of the lakers hands anyway
I agree with you, I don't see how it was a mistake to sign him to a 2 year deal

Lakers hold the cards here if they really want to play them they can

I don't know how often 2nd rounders sign 3-4 year deals anyway

Last edited:
I feel like the contract situation hurts both Clarkson and the Lakers. I've *****ed enough times about it in the Lakers thread.

Edit:

FYI: Teams can only sign second round picks to three or four year contracts if they are under the cap. The Lakers could have done this, but they used the cap space instead to claim Boozer last summer. Hence, why Clarkson got a two year contract.

Thankfully the Lakers seem to have learned from their mistake last summer because they signed Anthony Brown to a three year contract over the summer.

You keep saying this hurts the lakers and I still don't see it. This is the best position they could be in. Also you keep ignoring the fact that Clarkson would've had to agree to a 3 or 4 year deal which would have been a Longshot and out of the lakers hands anyway
The final verdict will depend on how much Clarkson signs for and who the Lakers sign next summer but why I think it hurts; If it was a three year contract, that's an extra year of cheap labor at the league minimum while retaining the flexibility to match any offer that summer. Why wouldn't a team want that for a young guard?

You see the teams are taking advantage of this with first round picks like Spurs-Kawhi, Pistons-Drummond and likely Wizards-Beal to make a splash the summer.

The final verdict will depend on how much Clarkson signs for and who the Lakers sign next summer but why I think it hurts; If it was a three year contract, that's an extra year of cheap labor at the league minimum while retaining the flexibility to match any offer that summer. Why wouldn't a team want that for a young guard?

You see the teams are taking advantage of this with first round picks like Spurs-Kawhi, Pistons-Drummond and likely Wizards-Beal to make a splash the summer.
Yeah but their money was all guaranteed and their yearly salaries were higher for obvious reasons

My biggest takeaway from last night was this line. Gotta cut back on the TOs but great start to the season.

39 MIN 9/18 22 PTS 7 REB 6 AST 3 STL 5 BLK 6 TO

This was your biggest takeaway, from last night?

I know you rep the Wiz, but....not sure if BowB4me or ryanJumpman

This explains everything. Cr: @peep game

In regards to signing him to 2 year contract:
Quote:
The first reason is that they got him cheap and non guaranteed, meaning that if he didn't pan out, there was no contract risk.

The second thing is that by giving him a two year deal, they made him an Arenas rule free agent. This has a few Perks:

First, he's restricted, which means they can match any offer. Second, it limits the amount he can be offered to the MLE in the first year of a deal, a 4.5% raise from that in year two, and then up to the max in years 3 and 4.

Because of the Arenas rule, the team signing him would have to have cap space equal to the average salary of the deal (probably around 13 million on a max four year offer), and would have that amount count against the cap each year. But the Lakers would only have to hold a qualifying offer of around 1.2 million ( or 2.7 million if he met starter qualifications (start 41 games or play 2,000 minutes) against their cap. They could then sign other players, and even if they used up their cap room before he received an offer, they could still match using the Arenas provision.

Even better, his actual salary would count against their cap for each year, so for the first two years, he would only be a MLE level cap hit, and wouldn't hit the cap heavily until 2018.

The team could also ask him to do one of three things:

Take the qualifying offer and become a full Bird rights free agent in 2017. In this case he would get paid a year earlier, but he would still be restricted.

Take an early bird contract of up to four years starting at the MLE with 4.5% raises each year (which they could give him after using up their cap space). This is the most they could offer without using cap space and without matching another offer.

Sign him to a larger deal (anything up to the lowest level max for up to four years with 4.5% raises ) using cap space.

Lots of options, and best of all, he has no way to become unrestricted. At worst he can take the QO, but again, he's restricted the next year.

In regards to knowing what we know now was it better to get him on that 3-4 year contract:
Quote:
Not necessarily. Given that he is a second rounder, locking up for that amount of time (if he accepts such a deal, which is debatable) gives you his Bird rights, but he becomes an unrestricted free agent, meaning you could lose him. With the two year deal and Arenas rights, you all but ensure if he pans out that you will have him from 6 (he signs an arenas deal that you match) to eight (he signs a qualifying offer and then a five year deal afterwards while still restricted) years. And in the case of matching an Arenas deal, in years five and six you are paying him no less than what a lotto pick that pans out would get, while getting him cheaper over the first four years

Last edited:

To early to make legit observations. Rubio played great. Knicks beat a hurting Deer team. DMC can make 3s. Dallas isn't as bad as I thought. Blake is the MVP candidate I thought he'll come out and be. Suns roster still has me scratching my head. Kobe still gunning. Pels are early garbage. Blazers may be better then I once thought. No D12 20 PT loss exactly. Nuggets drafted smart. 76ers fans had hope for a half. Grizz still run struggle offense.

In the midst of all that Walls performance stuck out most. Maybe it's the homer thing.

Last edited:
Thunder still KD's team, or for them to flourish, should he take a D.Wade type role?
Russ had the team to himself for long enough last year, for the World to be able to answer this.

We missed the playoffs. 

Russ is nothing but a stat stuffer if KD sits. Nobody wins but Russ, same as last year.

Am I the only one who would find it weird if Westbrook won MVP seeing as his teammate won it 2 years prior

My biggest takeaway from last night was this line. Gotta cut back on the TOs but great start to the season.

39 MIN 9/18 22 PTS 7 REB 6 AST 3 STL 5 BLK 6 TO

To put last night into context:

J. Michael ‏@JMichaelCSN 15h15 hours ago

Only 2 players have had @ least 22p, 7r, 6a, 5b & 3s like Wall in a season opener:David Robinson & Olajuwon #WizardsTalk @CSNWizards #NBA

Not saying it was the best opening performance around the league, but Wall was something else on the defensive end. His blocks were :wow:

Watching Beal's full highlights from last night...he looks like he's ready to take that next step. I've never seen him aggressively attack the basket like this. With his strength, he should live at the free throw line this season.

So.....this happened.

WarmheartedMistyKitfox.0.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
Howlin 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

1 game b. in a season opener. take a deep breff. bron would be food in the west long term.

not to mention, memphis been fool's gold. mediocre at it's finest. good when it doesn't matter, meh when it counts.
d.lo kinda blows. by kinda, i mean he sucks. should have taken a sf if you were passing on jahlil. stanley johnson or justise.
I've never seen the hype with this dude. Everytime I seen him at OSU, he played like ****
Ricky Rubio
eek.gif
ricky finally played like a top 5 pick 
pimp.gif

Nah b. We shouldve went with Mudiay.

My problem with this is, is that this wasn't the consensus prior to summer league. i heard so many people criticize Mudiay for being an "unknown" and not dominating the "weak" CBA.

Now all of a sudden the Lakers should have taken him...

Anyone know why Bobby Portis didnt play in the first two games?

Lol, they have Taj and Noah coming off the bench. There's no room in the rotation right now. He's already playing ten guys. The only way to sneak Bobby in, is to take Mirotic or Taj or Noah or Pau out. Or for an injury to happen...God forbid.

Last edited:
Watching Beal's full highlights from last night...he looks like he's ready to take that next step. I've never seen him aggressively attack the basket like this. With his strength, he should live at the free throw line this season.

I was encouraged by him taking 8 3's.

This should be his year (please stay healthy). :pimp:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom