2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also had the 28th overall as well. That was the pick attached to the potential Fowler signing.
You got the 28th pick as compensation for Chen signing in Seattle. You would've kept that pick regardless of Fowler signing with y'all. I think you would've lost a 2nd rounder if you signed Fowler but I'm not 100% sure on that.

We also had the 28th overall as well. That was the pick attached to the potential Fowler signing.
You got the 28th pick as compensation for Chen signing in Seattle. You would've kept that pick regardless of Fowler signing with y'all. I think you would've lost a 2nd rounder if you signed Fowler but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I don't think we got chen. We got Aoki though

Shots fired from Dexter Fowler's agent.

Stunning day. I was wishing him well in Baltimore yesterday, today he's a Cub again. Really bizarre.

Even Cub players were wishing him well last night, they had no clue he was coming to work today.

Shots fired from Dexter Fowler's agent.

Fowler texted Adam Jones 2 days ago saying that he was excited that free agency was over...

and then from CC:

One thing Close does not address in his flamethrowing statement is why, if there was never any agreement with the Orioles and the two sides were never close, did he not call a single one of those reporters who were reporting that a deal was done and say, hey, hold on, wait a minute?

Even if we accept his premise that the Orioles did something irresponsible, unethical, or out and out against the rules, how does that line up with the fact that there was complete radio silence on Wednesday, that Duquette only found out this morning that Fowler wasn't coming to Baltimore?

Link

Hmmm....

I know a lot of b-more fans are tight at Fowler, but I couldn't care less...he wasn't bound to anything b/c he never signed a deal.

Only thing I know on our end about the radio silence is Fowler came to surprise his teammates. Rizzo, Ross, etc all texted him and said good luck, congrats, etc. But he was drivin from Vegas to Arizona to sign and surprise them on the field. Theo had told Maddon not to send him a text, he had a "surprise" for them the following day. That might explain the refuting of the reports, but I don't know how or why Baltimore or any media said a deal was done.

Fowler wanted an opt out all along, Baltimore never said they would give him one, so not sure how one side thought a deal was done if neither budged. In November he wanted a long term deal of course, but no one ever came, so at that point he wanted a one year, and try to hit the market next year in a weak class and maybe get a nice contract that way. Hell, he turned us down for the 15.8 qualifying offer, and ends up back with us for 8 million instead. :lol: (he'll get the 5 mil buyout from us, to make 13, and then try for a long term deal next winter)

the Cubs are stacked :x

Theo's about to break 2 of the longest championship droughts in sports history :x :x

Only thing I know on our end about the radio silence is Fowler came to surprise his teammates. Rizzo, Ross, etc all texted him and said good luck, congrats, etc. But he was drivin from Vegas to Arizona to sign and surprise them on the field. Theo had told Maddon not to send him a text, he had a "surprise" for them the following day. That might explain the refuting of the reports, but I don't know how or why Baltimore or any media said a deal was done.

Fowler wanted an opt out all along, Baltimore never said they would give him one, so not sure how one side thought a deal was done if neither budged. In November he wanted a long term deal of course, but no one ever came, so at that point he wanted a one year, and try to hit the market next year in a weak class and maybe get a nice contract that way. Hell, he turned us down for the 15.8 qualifying offer, and ends up back with us for 8 million instead. :lol: (he'll get the 5 mil buyout from us, to make 13, and then try for a long term deal next winter)

All of that still doesn't explain the conversation he had with Adam Jones....

It's water under the bridge at this point, but Fowler better hope this gamble works out.

Fowler wanted an opt out all along, Baltimore never said they would give him one, so not sure how one side thought a deal was done if neither budged. In November he wanted a long term deal of course, but no one ever came, so at that point he wanted a one year, and try to hit the market next year in a weak class and maybe get a nice contract that way. Hell, he turned us down for the 15.8 qualifying offer, and ends up back with us for 8 million instead.
laugh.gif
(he'll get the 5 mil buyout from us, to make 13, and then try for a long term deal next winter)
It was all part of the plan.

I feel more than certain you can wait another year. 11 decades is kinda deserving a sooner celebration than your 3 decade wait. :lol:

Wild Card: Pirates

Wild Card: Dodgers

NL West: Giants

NL Central: Cubs

NL East: Mets

Wild Card: Astros (wish this was the A's)

Wild Card: Tigers

AL West: Rangers

AL Central: Royals

AL East: Blue Jays

I wouldnt mind it
2001 is too damn long ago

Im a fan but I just feel like its now or never for a playoff appearance at the very least.

Resigning Iwakuma really gave us the opportunity to have a strong Safeco rotation. If Taijuan Walker and James Paxton can progress it could be an excellent rotation. I think Walker is the real deal, not sold on Paxton and wouldnt be opposed to trading him for some pieces.

Cano, Cruz, and Seager is a great core of any lineup. Add guys like Martin, Marte, and Aoki getting on base and running. Along with upgrades like Ianetta and Lind.

Its going to be a major disappointment if the team doesnt make a big leap. But i cant say id be surprised if it doesnt happen, im used to it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom