2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Ortiz is retiring, because....????

also, I read an interesting take on Marlon Byrd on Deadspin (comments)

Big Bill Hell's Auto Sales
Barry Petchesky
6/01/16 3:44pm

Sox traded with the Cubs for a struggling Byrd in 2012 with Ellsbury and Crawford out. He had a meager 100-or-so at-bats with the team and at 34, looked totally finished both offensively and defensively.

He disappeared for the rest of that season after the Sox cut him. In the 470 games he’s somehow played since, he’s hit .268/.314/.468 with 77 home runs and has been popped for PEDs twice.

His is about as obvious a case as there has been to date. And as some beat writer tweeted, what disincentive is there for someone like Byrd to take PEDs to keep his career alive? He’s made close to $20 million since he got released in 2012. As an unspectacular regular, he has no legacy to be concerned about leaving.

Makes perfect sense...

David Ortiz is retiring, because....????.

Because he said he would; which IMO isnt a good reason :lol:

We'll see what happens. If the Sox somehow win it all this year, I can see Papi calling it a wrap.

If not (even if so), Plenty of teams will offer him 20M+ to DH next year though. It's a tough situation for him.

Last edited:
David Ortiz is retiring, because....????.

Because he said he would; which IMO isnt a good reason :lol:

We'll see what happens. If the Sox somehow win it all this year, I can see Papi calling it a wrap.

If not (even if so), Plenty of teams will offer him 20M+ to DH next year though. It's a tough situation for him.

Dude is absolutely crushing it this year

Figures Papi would go out like this :rolleyes and Betts 5/7 ABs were homers :smh: .

Papi is that old head putting in daily work while all his young heads (Betts, Bradley, Bogey) go berserk :lol:

Clay Buttholes still getting burn on this team :lol:

Can't escape this dude :smh:

I like watching John Lamb pitch.

He just goes to work and goes home. 

The way he always walks down off the mound or to the dugout from the mound. Ice face

Springer walk off :pimp:

8 of 9

Astros byke :pimp:

Last edited:
Mookie Betts :rofl:

we'll take that L tonight tho because...clay methhead buchholz

Last edited:
Mookie Betts :rofl:

we'll take that L tonight tho because...clay methhead buchholz

At the end of the day, moving Clay to the bullpen is a half measure IMO. They sent a message by taking him out of the rotation, but we'll probably still see him at least once every five days, so what has really changed ? Dombrowski needs to go ahead and start slinging prospects for a couple of arms asap

Springer leading off is doing wonders for my fantasy team :lol: :smokin

You're opening up a can on me right now!! Hopefully I can chip away at that lead today bc I've got 5 pitchers going tomorrow haha. That could be really good or really really bad...

Seems like Trea Turner will be getting the call up for at least a series with Ryan Zimmerman going on paternity leave.

Saw this on a Nats forum:

Here's a fun fact: Trea was clocked at a 4.27 40 time. Here's some comps to NFL players:

Chris Johnson (4.24)
DHB (4.28)
Deion Sanders (4.27)
Devin Hester (4.27)
Rod Woodson (4.28)

I still can't believe the Twins just let Ortiz go like that. Made no sense then and looks stupid as hell now.

I even remember when they traded with Seattle to get this David Arias -- just a guy then -- and the Twins gave up Dave Hollins to get him. Could've been a HUGE steal...But no..:smh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom