2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

I know athleticism is a big part of the overall snapshot of a player but Ulis just "gets it." I trust him more in terms of knowing his role and making anyone on the court with him reach their potential.

I love Felder (Nate Rob, Will Bynum, Isaiah Thomas mold), ut Ulis is a special type of leader man. 
We know

In honor of AI, not really an AI highlight moreso than an AI2 highlight but this is probably one of my favorite highlights between the 2, lob came out of nowhere
I remember watching this game that Sunday. Sixers were getting stomped. And my lord, Hubie stay ruining a highlight with his senile ***.

Another AI/Hill highlight

"He was only 60%" , yet dropped 38 in game 4 and proceeded to wet the bed with Ayesha swimming in it. The dude lost his confidence after he saw Bron ripping his heart out right in front of him.

And the media was comparing MJ to this guy?....
View media item 2157700
Who was comparing Curry to MJ?
I'm still a big fan of Curry, but if you took MJ comparisons seriously then it's your fault

Brother, you must have skipped this thread from mid season on. This was a very serious comparison when people made it.

Those who took MJ were serious, and those who took Steph were just as serious. I'm serious

Brother, you must have skipped this thread from mid season on. This was a very serious comparison when people made it.

Those who took MJ were serious, and those who took Steph were just as serious. I'm serious
sick.gif
 Definitely missed that.

MJ still untouched 
pimp.gif
 Ain't eem close

Remember folks were saying Kobe didn't have any class because he didn't let Jordan go out on top @ That All Star game?

Steph was so dominant last season that MJ comparisons didn't look so crazy.

Then he proceeded to turn back into a pumpkin and looked completely ordinary in the finals

They were always crazy.. Not the same players.. Steph and the warriors are elevated by a sum of parts deal, yes guys are individually great

But it's a perfect storm deal.. Dray and iggy can take ball handling/playmaking responsibilities from steph.. Steph and klay force you to cover them as soon as they cross mid court (so hard to cheat off those guys)

But when things start going wrong things can fall apart if you have the right mix

People don't realize how great Jordan was and that's with hand checking and teams still being able to beat you down.. Imagine if the Warriors had to deal with the 90s Knicks, hear and/or pacers (steph couldn't handle it last year once teams started hitting him off screens and he had to face legit PGs)

If something wasn't working for Jordan on offense he would go to plan b or c.. And he was legit one of the best defenders in the league and not getting gifted all defensive teams

Hell, I don't think last year's warriors are better than those early 2000s Lakers.. And I'm sure some of pop's earlier Spurs would have beat them too (young Duncan, younger Manu.. Steph having to chase Parker around.. Dirty *{*{* Bowen)

Last edited:

Then he proceeded to turn back into a pumpkin and looked completely ordinary in the finals
To me, it was always crazy from the style aspect.

Those two players dominated in different ways.

Depending on the era of Jordan, it was slashing, mid range, and defensively.

Steph was killing folks off the dribble and with the jumper.

I just didn't see the point in comparing the two at all.

That is just me

People don't realize how great Jordan was and that's with hand checking and teams still being able to beat you down.. Imagine if the Warriors had to deal with the 90s Knicks, hear and/or pacers (steph couldn't handle it last year once teams started hitting him off screens and he had to face legit PGs)

In their defense, if they WERE in that era, they would be adjusted to the style of play in that era. 

You can't just take a team from one era and dump them into another era without giving them the proper tools for that hypothetical.

That is like when people compare players of the past to the players of the present and speak on how athletic people are today. Well, there is much better science and training today that allows people to max out their athletic abilities.

^ steph wouldn't last back then.. They talk openly about how they studied how he ran and essentially taught him how to run again to alleviate his ankle problems

But those teams would essentially still do what okc and the cavs did to steph and the Warriors, if around now (not saying those teams would have the same success).. They would beat as much as they could get away with it

That is like when people compare players of the past to the players of the present and speak on how athletic people are today. Well, there is much better science and training today that allows people to max out their athletic abilities.

We're not that far removed from the 90s.. Yes you have guys on the extreme end, like bolt for example

But still had Michael Johnson's whose 400 record just got broken and would have won the 200 easily.. High jump and long jump records haven't been touched in a while

And steph ain't succeeding because of him being bigger, faster or stronger.. Dude is doing it by skill.. And it seems like skills have gotten worse across the board (not saying specifically him talking about guys in the league)

^ steph wouldn't last back then.. They talk openly about how they studied how he ran and essentially taught him how to run again to alleviate his ankle problems

But those teams would essentially still do what okc and the cavs did to steph and the Warriors, if around now (not saying those teams would have the same success).. They would beat as much as they could get away with it

Wrong

We're not that far removed from the 90s.. Yes you have guys on the extreme end, like bolt for example

And steph ain't succeeding because of him being bigger, faster or stronger.. Dude is doing it by skill.. And it seems like skills have gotten worse across the board (not saying specifically him talking about guys in the league)

Even more wrong

Last edited:
Also have to factor in drugs getting better, which obviously would benefit those dudes back then if they played today.. Like I know there got to be a ton of dudes in the NBA on EPO

No one was saying Steph == Jordan. They were comparing their dominance on strictly the offensive end and asking the question who is the better scorer?

I mean, Steph had the most dominant offensive season ever last season. :\

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom