2019 NFL Discussion Thread: StaXX talking to himself

Should @Hahahaha be allowed byke?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
‘Kareem cut Kareem’: In releasing Hunt, Chiefs vow to help him remain in NFL if he makes the necessary changes
The Athletic (Nate Taylor)

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Tears streamed down Kareem Hunt’s cheeks Friday evening after he learned of his fate with the Kansas City Chiefs, the team he had starred for in 2017 and ’18.

The Chiefs sent Hunt home moments after TMZ Sports posted a video of Hunt shoving and kicking a woman in a hallway of a downtown Cleveland hotel on the morning of Feb. 10. Hours later, they called him back to tell him in person they were releasing him.

Hunt cried in front of his coaches and members of the front office, according to multiple league sources with knowledge of the situation. With trembling emotion in his voice, Hunt apologized for his mistake and pleaded to the Chiefs to reconsider their decision.

“It really felt like a funeral,” one source told The Athletic on Saturday as the Chiefs prepared to play the AFC West rival Raiders without the star running back.

As Hunt was dealing with the shock of his contract being terminated, he also was given an emphatic message from multiple team officials, according to sources close to the team: The Chiefs don’t want Hunt’s future to be similar to what former NFL running back Ray Rice experienced. Rice, who played six seasons for the Ravens, was never given a second opportunity in the NFL after a 2014 video — also posted by TMZ Sports — showed him assaulting his girlfriend inside an Atlantic City elevator.

The Chiefs told Hunt that he would never play in their uniform again, but they would do what they could to help him remain in the NFL if he takes the necessary steps to improve his behavior and make better decisions.

Before the Chiefs left for Oakland on Saturday, team officials told Hunt they wanted him to continue to receive counseling — which he had done this season through the team — after being placed on the NFL’s Commissioner Exempt list. According to a team source, the Chiefs called the NFL twice Friday afternoon to express their desire to have Hunt enrolled in a new counseling program through the league even as the league continues its investigation of the incident.

“The belief is that he’ll get help,” a league source said of Hunt. “I do think he’ll get it. This is a guy I believe can figure it out. This will be tough for a while.”

In his altercation with the 19-year-old woman that occurred around 3:22 a.m. ET on Feb. 10, an agitated Hunt, now 23, shoved the woman, along with friends who were trying to prevent him from assaulting her inside the hotel hallway. Before Hunt was separated from the woman, he kicked her with his right foot before leaving the hallway. Hunt was not arrested or charged with a crime.

The Chiefs expect Hunt to be suspended six games for violating the NFL’s personal-conduct policy once the league ends its investigation, which is expected to happen this offseason.

“It was awful,” a team official told The Athletic. “It’s a terrible situation.”

The Chiefs, according to multiple league sources, knew video evidence of the altercation existed, but they were told by the NFL to stop pursuing it later in February once the league began its investigation. As part of the fallout from the Rice incident, the NFL formally took over the responsibility of handling all investigations into potential violations of the personal conduct policy. Part of the reason the league took over these types of investigations was to keep teams, which have a vested interest in keeping players on the field, from potential conflicts of interest.

The league, however, couldn’t obtain the video.

Hunt complicated his situation, according to a team source, by not informing the Chiefs of the incident later that February day. The Chiefs learned of Hunt’s altercation after it became public through two police reports, neither of which included anything about Hunt kicking the woman. In the months that followed, the Chiefs asked Hunt multiple times to be completely truthful about what happened that night.

“I never left the (hotel) room,” Hunt told the Chiefs each time. “I didn’t do a thing.”

In their statement Friday night, the Chiefs said Hunt was released in large part because he was “not truthful” to his employer. Had Hunt told the truth in February, the Chiefs, according to team sources, would have pursued every option available to them through the league to ensure the possibility of him remaining on the team’s roster.

“I want to apologize for my actions,” Hunt said Friday in a statement. “I deeply regret what I did. I hope to move on from this.”

When training camp began in July, the Chiefs were optimistic about Hunt’s ability to learn from his incidents, which also included his allegedly punching a man in June during an altercation at a resort in Put-in-Bay, Ohio. (No charges were filed as a result of that incident.) Hunt, in conversations with the team and during interviews with reporters, promised to change.

“Just move forward, and focus on football,” Hunt told reporters in August.

Before TMZ revealed the video to the public, Hunt, according to team sources, was a highly accountable player and upstanding teammate inside the Chiefs’ locker room. Meanwhile, the Chiefs’ security team — suspecting alcohol might have been involved in both incidents — kept in close contact with Hunt throughout this season.

“You feel the kid was already on the right track,” a team official told The Athletic. “You want to see him succeed.”

After Friday’s practice, Hunt smiled as he chatted for a few minutes with veteran running back Spencer Ware, who has been one of his biggest mentors. Hunt learned of TMZ’s posting of the video when he was asked by a team official to leave the locker room.

Ware, after helping Hunt develop in the NFL — which resulted in losing his starting job — will be tasked with replacing the second-year back for the remainder of the season, a year in which the Chiefs enter Sunday’s game atop the AFC standings. Hunt was officially placed on waivers Saturday afternoon, and the other 31 teams in the league have until 5 p.m. ET Monday to put in a waiver claim. If Hunt clears waivers, he will become a free agent, although he cannot play until he is removed from the Commissioner Exempt list.

In assessing Hunt’s future, one source said Hunt might have cost himself close to $20 million in the form of a multiyear extension with the Chiefs, which was a consideration following this season.

According to a team source, the Chiefs anticipate that multiple teams will attempt to sign Hunt — who has recorded 2,984 all-purpose yards and 25 total touchdowns in just 27 games — if NFL commissioner Roger Goodell rules him eligible to play again.

The Chiefs, in an effort to help their former player, plan to explain to inquiring teams who Hunt was as a person — compassionate, jovial and proudly involved in community events — under their structure and watch. Several members of the Chiefs hope to see Hunt in an NFL uniform again. And after a tearful goodbye with their former star, the Chiefs want Hunt to grow from his mistakes and the necessary counseling.

“Coach (Andy Reid) didn’t cut Kareem, (general manager) Brett (Veach) didn’t cut Kareem, and (owner) Clark (Hunt) didn’t cut Kareem,” a source told The Athletic. “Kareem cut Kareem.”

How mike Williams still got the nerve to go up for catches like that I got no clue..

After hurting his neck at Clemson, I would completely understand if he as shook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom