2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

i know this isn't the case, but just let me believe Harper is the reason we're sitting on our hands. just let me believe it and get through the 2018 season

Cubs are committed to long to Yu. I wouldve given him a bit more annually but for 4 years.

Weve seen this happen before. The last 2 or 3 seasons Yu Darvish will be pronounced as ( You Garbage)

Cubs are committed too long to Yu. I wouldve given him a bit more annually but for 4 years.

That's not how it works these days. We didn't want more AAV, we wanted less. 21 per is fantastic value. 4/100, or 4/110 is nowhere close to a better deal, it would be quite worse.

And he has an opt out after TWO years, meaning there is no guarantee we even see those 4 other years paid out.

I don’t see how giving a longer contract is better than a shorter higher yearly salary one. What use is saving money from a luxury tax when a guy is trash or sitting on the floor for the last three years of his contract?

Reactions: HIM
one of our writers said something today that has me full of false hope on Bryce in Boston. i know Boston is probably not on his list at all, but this writer didn't shoot the idea down as i expected him too. sounds like we might at least try. don't @ me....just let me have this glimmer of false hope :lol:

I don’t see how giving a longer contract is better than a shorter higher yearly salary one. What use is saving money from a luxury tax when a guy is trash or sitting on the floor for the last three years of his contract?

It's not just the money, it affects your draft picks as well. But the main point......

It only takes one year of dipping below the threshold for a team’s tax percentage to be reset to first-time offender levels. If the Dodgers, or any team, can stay under the threshold for the entire 2018 season, they can spend lavishly next off-season and only be taxed at the 20 percent level.

It is an absolute no brainer to lower your AAV, especially when you are giving that player an opt out after year two, he may never see a nickel of that money years 3-6. And why would he be dead at 33-34-35 anyways? :lol:

Any team with pockets will try, they’d be foolish not to.

Yup.

At this point, it's clear the Dodgers, Cubs, Nats, Yankees, and Red Sox will TRY. Even if just cursory.

Other teams like NYM, CHW, maybe even Houston/Texas will sniff around, but the money may get a bit too much for them/or they won't have the talent to join he's looking for.

Every team is going to at least call the guy. :lol:

Yup.

At this point, it's clear the Dodgers, Cubs, Nats, Yankees, and Red Sox will TRY. Even if just cursory.

Other teams like NYM, CHW, maybe even Houston/Texas will sniff around, but the money may get a bit too much for them/or they won't have the talent to join he's looking for.

Every team is going to at least call the guy. :lol:
Giants and Phillies will make a play as well I think.

I don’t think Harper even knows where he wants to go yet. Maybe they’re just being smart, but the Nats unwillingness to let go of our Top 2 OF prospects for Realmuto tells me what they think of their chances.

That and they’ve been marketing Trea Turner pretty hard this off-season.

Bryce gonna be a mariner

TediousWellwornFallowdeer-max-1mb.gif

Back
Top Bottom