2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

The collusion is real

Back to back years of the top FA's still being on the market until February is pretty suspect
It’s a new era with analytics and front offices having a stat for damn near everything

It’s going to get progressively worse the next couple years leading to talks of a potential strike

It’s a new era with analytics and front offices having a stat for damn near everything

It’s going to get progressively worse the next couple years leading to talks of a potential strike

It’s more so the way funds are redistributed to bad teams that caused the original problem.

Whereas NBA have salary floors so that even if you tank, you still have to pay guys and hit a certain salary cap, MLB has no salary floor, a team can sit there and do absolutely nothing, add no talent and still get paid from other teams.

It’s created a pseudo-economics, where only a few teams will spend. And other teams actively collude to drive down wages to avoid helping teams that won’t commit salaries.

Strictly a marketing ploy for the Japan opener? Or do we think he sees Major League time?

More of the former. He might play a few games to spot a couple guys early in the season like he did last year and go back to his FO position

i got straight chills watching that Doc showing on the mound

i still remember that game as if it was yesterday man. **** the giants that year beating us in the next round lol

phillies had such an awesome run over them years, philly was so electric i can never forget it

In recent years, Major League Baseball spent significant amounts of money lobbying Congress to exempt minor leaguers from the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. They succeeded last year, as minor leaguers are now considered seasonal workers and as such are not owed minimum wage or overtime pay.

MLB is not yet done attacking minor leaguers. Ben Giles of the Arizona Capitol Times reports that MLB is trying to get Arizona lawmakers to exempt players from state minimum wage law. A proposed bill, HB 2180, is being sponsored by Rep. T.J. Shope (R – Coolidge) and would protect MLB from lawsuits, past or present, for not paying minor leaguers at least minimum wage during spring training. Minor leaguers already do not get paid for their work in spring training, so this is simply a preemptive maneuver by MLB to protect itself from potential lawsuits.

Yep, we're gonna have a strike

it’s a valid argument.

impact on the game, being a clean name during a an asterisk era, and most of all the “what would be if he didn’t get hurt (but he did)”...

it’s a tough call and there’s no bigger griffey mark than me.

all around clean player id say yes ken griffey junior is the best all around baseball player ever but it’s clearly debateable when you factor in his decline because of injuries.

During Ken Griffey Jr's peak of his career (1990-1999), his WAR was nearly 20 points BELOW Barry Bonds' in that exact same time period (pre-allegations).

Barry is the GOAT.

We've said it time and time again. Major League Baseball owners could lose money every year and it does not matter one bit. Their franchise goes up in value by hundreds of millions per year. It's like owning the Mona Lisa and complaining that you had to spend a couple hundred thousand a year for the best staff to clean it.

Larry Dolan bought the Indians for $323 million. Forbes currently values them at $1.045 billion.
Bob Castellini bought the Reds for $270 million. Forbes current value: $1.01 billion.
David Glass bought the Royals for $96 million. Forbes current value: $1.015 billion.
The Nutting family bought the Pirates for $92 million. Forbes current value: $1.26 billion.
The Ilitch's bought the Tigers for $82 million. Forbes current value: $1.225 billion.
The Pohlad family bought the Twins for $44 million. Forbes current value: $1.15 billion.

These are middle of the country owners located in the conveniently phrased, "small market." Remember these numbers when the long con continues of how "we just can't compete, we don't have the revenues."

^I thought that the HOF did away with allowing a player (or in this case his family) from selecting which team he wanted to go in as? I thought that after the Wade Boggs thing, the HOF selects team for the player?

I get that it's their decision now but I remember Doc himself saying that he'd want to go in and be remembered as a Jay,wish they'd grant his wish...

He signed an honorific contract to retire a Jay for that very reason,I don't get their reasoning

Yeah it's odd. As if they don't want to disrespect either ball club.

Back
Top Bottom