2023 NFL Draft Thread: Rounds 4-7 4/29

Packers take the brother of Daniel Carlson, Anders

C023EB96-768B-497D-B114-F05BBE49E79B.gif

87BE9E6D-2757-4103-A60B-4D3530A13D5D.jpeg

Did Duggan slide or was he not projected mid rounds?

The hype leading up to the title game seemed like he would go early. Or did that as whooping we put him kill his stock

Did Duggan slide or was he not projected mid rounds?

The hype leading up to the title game seemed like he would go early. Or did that as whooping we put him kill his stock
I thought he stayed at TCU but just saw that he was drafted by the Chargers

Eagles were in a unique position to use the circumstances to their advantage.

zero clue how this dude going last long

We've covered this, but cap guru'ing aside, Howie is not a genius. He's doing the obvious, which correlates to the majority of the remainder GMs making this too difficult on themselves.

IATT IATT literally been spelling it out for weeks, but the Eagles had their pre-draft options and would be happy if A, B, or C fell into their laps. Not Howie's fault they never had to get to C. option.

Eagles fans remember that Howie spent a few seasons on the chopping block after the SB season...I don't see him as a genius now, but he's obviously more savvy than most, because he took what was presented to him...in that respect, most GMs falter...literally the best case scenario fell in their laps and folks wanna blame Howie. :lol:

It should also be reiterated that their picks still come with questions...they also just so happened to have a quintessential situation for their top 2 picks so whether happenstance or not...can't blame Howie for doing the prudent thing.

It's fascinating, really.

If you were Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Jordan Reid, all of them, how long is your vacation(s)? (weeks, months)

If you were Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Jordan Reid, all of them, how long is your vacation(s)? (weeks, months)

Mel says he usually takes May off. Then he starts his process in June, then obviously thru CFB season, then he really starts ramping as Draft order solidifies thru playoffs.

Not sure McShay's routine.

I know he's getting old and not nearly as connected as he used to be, but so many people follow the Draft because of him.

40 for ESPN, 45 overall. :wow:

And he's even helping others get where he is.

:pimp:

I was watching NFLN all weekend, but decided to tune in to ESPN the end of today and saw this. Nostalgia flooded in. I know some folks was out here calling Kiper a moron and such, but it didn't hit...he was the guy (along with Berman, imo) that put this on the map. It probably gets there regardless, but anyone calling him a moron, please mock your own for 40 years and tell us how it's received. Kiper good people that had skin in the game.

It's why I stay with ESPN. I hate those mother****ers like you wouldn't believe, but Mel brought me into this ****. And back in the day listening to him rattle off info on friggin 7th rounders in 30 seconds was absurd. Pre internet mind you. Dude was a machine.

He certainly has flaws and he definitely not as dialed in as he once was, but he was a pioneer. And now he's out here scouting his own replacements. I rock with that.

It's why I stay with ESPN. I hate those mother****ers like you wouldn't believe, but Mel brought me into this ****. And back in the day listening to him rattle off info on friggin 7th rounders in 30 seconds was absurd. Pre internet mind you. Dude was a machine.

He certainly has flaws and he definitely not as dialed in as he once was, but he was a pioneer. And now he's out here scouting his own replacements. I rock with that.

Honestly, ESPN got the better substance on draft day still. Mayock was great when he was on, DJ is cool, but it's Eisen's show. Wasn't a fan of Wingo nor Greeny, but given my multi-view screen...ESPN > on draft day.

We've covered this, but cap guru'ing aside, Howie is not a genius. He's doing the obvious, which correlates to the majority of the remainder GMs making this too difficult on themselves.

IATT IATT literally been spelling it out for weeks, but the Eagles had their pre-draft options and would be happy if A, B, or C fell into their laps. Not Howie's fault they never had to get to C. option.

Eagles fans remember that Howie spent a few seasons on the chopping block after the SB season...I don't see him as a genius now, but he's obviously more savvy than most, because he took what was presented to him...in that respect, most GMs falter...literally the best case scenario fell in their laps and folks wanna blame Howie. :lol:

It should also be reiterated that their picks still come with questions...they also just so happened to have a quintessential situation for their top 2 picks so whether happenstance or not...can't blame Howie for doing the prudent thing.

I think that’s what he’s so endearing right now to eagles fans. We hated dude after the Wentz/Pederson/hurts stuff, def after the Reagor fiasco.

But he turned it around very quickly. I don’t think Howie is this wizard that gets away with everything but I do believe he’s someone who is aggressive in making his team better but patient in making the correct moves. Dude Will makes moves to contend now while you have other GMs who are content with just middle of the road roster construction.

His real genius is his relationships around the league. He’s always on the phones and he has a good pulse for trends and patterns (ie teams completely devaluing future draft capital). Obviously it doesn’t work out always and there was a lot of luck involved these last two years. But eagles fans are just happy that we have a GM that won’t settle for anything less than excellence when it comes to his front office and that we have a coaching staff that has really developed the culture into one of the gold standards around the league the last two years.

Again, not to sound cocky as stuff in the NFL is very short lived but it is I’m very refreshing

Howie doesn’t always “win” every trade. He takes medium sized risks and puts faith in his coaching staff to develop. We traded a future third to move up in the FOURTH for Kelee Ringo :lol: its not like he’s out here ripping people off.

Anyone mad at Howie is buggin for two reasons

1. He didn't hold a gun to anyone's head during these trades.

2. No one knows how these pics will turn out until they get on the field. Game aint played on paper.

howie is active, as any GM should be.. there is a reason when all these reports come out the eagles always get thrown in.. but it doesn’t necessarily mean it‘s actually going happen

just howie doing his job and reaching out and seeing what it would take for something to happen and at the same time letting it be known the team is interested

but the team invests a ton of money in staying informed.. like even stuff like the DC search is a part of the process trying understand what the team has, what smart people would do, what’s in the draft, where the league is going and what’s happening in college.. also spends a ton of money to understand the cap

but you have to be willing to actually do the whole build on a strength thing.. Vikings being a great example, team had good receivers when they took moss

No one on the Colts expects Richardson to start this year. He'll battle for the spot in training camp but everyone is predicting another 4-6 win season with Minshew starting.
I wanna call this back

I always felt that out of all the QB needy teams, the Colts were the one team that didn’t have a starter quality QB on the roster and whoever they drafted was in line to start

Back
Top Bottom