2023 Official MLB Season Thread

I just hope the high speed train and the "Aces" new stadium is done by 2028. EZ weekend trip and Ohtani Era will be in full swing. Maybe with Sasaki too :nerd: :pimp:

Driving to Rancho -> high speed rail to Vegas gonna be a lot less hassle than going through TSA and flying

got bored and looked up Jim Edmonds highlights. this dude had to have some of the best catches EVER, including #1 which to me is the best ever.

dude made back to the field over the shoulder catches routine :smokin

There used to be good debates about him or lots of haters...."he only made those highlight catches because he was slow and out of position...the metrics say..."

Always enjoyed his game.

• Haha
Reactions: HIM
There used to be good debates about him or lots of haters...."he only made those highlight catches because he was slow and out of position...the metrics say..."

Always enjoyed his game.
Personally, I’ve never doubted Jim Edmonds could play a good CF and make great catches. I just didn’t think he was elite out there because he didn’t have plus speed.

Andruw is the best defensive Centerfielder any of us have ever seen. It's ridiculous Joe Maher/Beltre get in first ballot and not him. :smh:
If Andruw would have retired in 2007, he would have definitely been a first ballot HOF. He really did damage to his case with those final ****ty years after he left the Braves.

How Omar hit, and Andruw hit is two very different levels tho.

Omar was ONLY defense.
Andruw is not that.

Omar was not only defense.

Omar had 900 more hits, better AVG, 300 more SB, more runs scored. Better overall hitter than Ozzie also, who is in.

Andruw hit for power.

Completely different positions which is why the style of hitting reflects that.

Omar was a magician around second base.

Jones was one of the best defensive CF of all time.

Last edited:
Omar had 900 more hits, better AVG, 300 more SB, more runs scored. Better overall hitter than Ozzie also, who is in

900 more hits cuz he played til he was 45 doesn't really help like you think it does.

He had more longevity than Andruw, that's it.

900 more hits cuz he played til he was 45 doesn't really help like you think it does.

He had more longevity than Andruw, that's it.

Take his final 7 seasons out and he still had more hits :lol:

There's a reason he played until he was in his 40's. He was that valuable as a fielder. Dismissing that is wild even by NT standards.

Top 10 defensive WAR all time for the nerds.

Ozzie: .262/.337/.666, 28 HR, 793 RBI, 2,460 Hits, 580 steals, 13 Gold Gloves

Omar: .272/.336/.688, 80 HR, 951 RBI, 2,877 Hits, 404 steals, 11 Gold Gloves

Last edited:
got bored and looked up Jim Edmonds highlights. this dude had to have some of the best catches EVER, including #1 which to me is the best ever.

dude made back to the field over the shoulder catches routine :smokin

Flame suit on, but Edmonds is one of the most overrated defensive players of my lifetime. He would routinely get bad jumps on balls or bad reads on balls. He would make a spectacular diving catch on plays that lots of outfielders would be camped underneath. In fact, at times he would also purposely slow down so that he would need to dive. We coined those Edmondsing a fly ball.

Was Edmonds good? Sure. Not many outfielders could make the spectacular catches he did. But a lot of the time, his own bad route taking and misjudging were the reason dives were even necessary.

He couldn't hold Andruw Jones' jockstrap.

yeah but people will say Ozzie's in there. i agree tho, he's in so should Omar ...

Omar should never be mentioned in the same breath as Ozzie Smith. Omar was no where close to the defender Ozzie was. Every advanced metric supports that.

Take his final 7 seasons out and he still had more hits :lol:

There's a reason he played until he was in his 40's. He was that valuable as a fielder. Dismissing that is wild even by NT standards.

Top 10 defensive WAR all time for the nerds.

Ozzie: .262/.337/.666, 28 HR, 793 RBI, 2,460 Hits, 580 steals, 13 Gold Gloves

Omar: .272/.336/.688, 80 HR, 951 RBI, 2,877 Hits, 404 steals, 11 Gold Gloves

You want to talk about dWAR? Then I challenge you to look at the following with an open mind.

Omar should have no where close to 11 Gold gloves.

You want to talk about dWAR?

No I don't and I shouldn't have even brought it up. That's my fault. :lol:

I can't stand the new generation of nerd metrics. He has one of the highest fielding percentages of all time.

Omar Vizquel and Andruw Jones should both be in the hall. All it takes is the eye test and the fact that dudes like Soctt Rolen, Craig Biggio and Todd Helton are in.

Last edited:
Phils single day tickets went on sale today was a bit late but managed to grab some for March 30th opening night game with a odd 4:05 start

No I don't and I shouldn't have even brought it up. That's my fault. :lol:

I can't stand the new generation of nerd metrics. He has one of the highest fielding percentages of all time.

Omar Vizquel and Andruw Jones should both be in the hall. All it takes is the eye test.

He has the highest fielding percentage of all time because he had great hands and average range. You wanna talk eye test? Tell me what makes what you saw from Omar better than what you saw from players like Andrelton Simmons, Rey Ordonez, Rey Sanchez, etc. Because those guys were routinely making outs on plays that would bounce past Omar into the outfield.

Back
Top Bottom