2023 Official MLB Season Thread

Congrats! My buddy from b school just applied to his dream job - front office strategy role with the Nats. His gf of 7 years was a bit pissed because he would take a pretty big pay cut lmao

Ive always heard some of those mlb jobs don’t pay a lot and luckily for us that’s not the case.

She doesn’t start till January but they sent her to the winter meetings to shadow the general council and i was so jealous:rofl:

Ive always heard some of those mlb jobs don’t pay a lot and luckily for us that’s not the case.

She doesn’t start till January but they sent her to the winter meetings to shadow the general council and i was so jealous:rofl:

The role is 140 base as a Director - 180ish after bonus. He’s a consultant currently but this is practically a dream job for him.

Right... But agents aren't just negotiating deals.

Lamar Jackson's mother is his representative. He's not going to have any problems with endorsements. Your talent will bring in the money. You don't need a swindler like Boras and Rosenhaus to be your mouthpiece. If athletes feel comfortable giving away 5%+ of their hard earned salary, more power to them.

Lamar Jackson's mother is his representative. He's not going to have any problems with endorsements. Your talent will bring in the money. You don't need a swindler like Boras and Rosenhaus to be your mouthpiece. If athletes feel comfortable giving away 5%+ of their hard earned salary, more power to them.
That's great... Not everyone has a support system/family they trust to handle these types of things. I'd argue in most cases it's bad business to have a mom, dad, whatever negotiate a multi-million dollar endorsement deal or contract. But there's obviously exceptions. I'd never trust my parents - or anyone without experience managing negotiations at that level - to do the dirty work in negotiations.

Basketball is a lot more straight forward. Contracts are what they are, maxes, opt-outs, it's all pretty easy with just a couple decisions for the player. NFL contracts would be a nightmare. MLB's tough because there's no max, usually all guaranteed, but there's a ton of deferrals and other **** that go into negotiations.

These agencies are also a lot of the time managing money and helping with investments and budgeting and all that ****, too.

If you got a good support system/structure around you, maybe it makes sense. In most cases for most of these athletes, it absolutely doesn't make sense.

Boras and Rosenhaus are out here doing silly **** because it gets them on TV and gets them in front of future potential clients. It's free marketing for them. Nothing more, nothing less. They're not doing anything any other sports agent isn't doing on that back-end.

Also - Lamar Jackson didn't have an agent because there's realistically no need for one with the NFL's rookie scale. It's set in stone and those contracts are handed to you and signed. Not much negotiation at all anymore.

Let's wait and see what he does when it's time to get PAID. I'd guess he ain't having himself and his mom sit down in those conversations alone.

We don't gotta see eye to eye on it.

That's fine.

But there's a reason literally 99% of these dudes have agents and are willing to pay 5% when the big dollars start flowing.

Nobody needs one for rookie NBA or NFL deals. There's nothing to negotiate.

I’m sure Momma is all over it and got all the connections she needs to have his face plastered everywhere.

I’m sure Momma is all over it and got all the connections she needs to have his face plastered everywhere.

Continue being a dickhead for daps.

Manfred is a cancer. The baseball is dead people are salivating.

If MLB walks away from MiLB, what are they planning to do with development? Extend some of these fall/spring leagues or ship prospects out to existing Caribbean leagues? Damn shame...

Rangers got Kluber for next to nothing. Hard to believe the market wasn’t higher than Delino DeShields and a bullpen arm.

I am really really pissed for 2 reasons.

1- We didnt trade Bum last season. Farhan was pressured by a ridiculously hot month, rather than look at the rest of the previous 3.5 years of utter trash baseball. No reason he shouldnt have spun Bum to a contender since it's clear he had no interest in re-signing him.

2- We didnt match a 5 year 70M contract with an additional 15M deferred. That's nothing. That doesn't hamstring the team at all.

You cant ****ing have it both ways. Either sell and build for the future or make moves for now. How Farhan handled Bumgarner is absolutely unacceptable.

I'm bent.

Mind blown Kluber better only delink deshields. Mets should’ve been involved instead of signing two scrubs.
Mind more blown that bum went to Arizona and not Houston.

Mind blown Kluber better only delink deshields. Mets should’ve been involved instead of signing two scrubs.
The relief arm the Rangers traded is super, super live. 100+, hard slider. But straight relief guy.

Still seems crazy light. Was waiting all day yesterday for someone else to be included. Curious how healthy he is. Contract's not anywhere near an issue.

bum got a good contract... not overpriced at all... i havent been watching him in recent years... did he fall off or something?

Back
Top Bottom