2023 Official MLB Season Thread

You like the Castro deal? My Nats buds hate it
Considering he played about 40 games at 3rd base and is a former every day, all-star 2nd baseman, I dont see how you can dislike the move ... Versatility and a consistent bat ...

As long as we get one of Donaldson, Bryant or Arenado our lineup is even better than last year because Castro is 10x the player we plugged in at 2nd ... The culture from Davey will set Castro straight ... Not worried about him at all ...

My only worry is somehow thinking he replaces Rendon at 3rd permanently and sliding Kieboom at 2nd ... I'm actually really low on Kieboom and can't believe people are hyping him as an every day 2nd baseman, serviceable 3rd baseman or key piece to a blockbuster trade ... Dude is average to me ...

Aside from Arenado being a better player until last year, his contract is marginally less in AAV ... That being said, getting Kieboom and a top tier arm would almost certainly require COL to eat some of his contract to make it work for the Nats ... It's the most unlikely scenario but it's doable ...

Don’t think Col would have to eat money though. They’re not in a position where they have to trade him. Plus if he’s as available and gaining as much interest from other teams, that’s going to create quite the bidding war. They’ll be looking for the best possible deal where they (a mid-market team) won’t have to eat money. If the AAV is as reasonable as you mentioned.

Again though, you’d still be paying more - Arenados contract plus top tier prospect and their potential, than you would of for Rendon.

I InTheHallway you wouldn’t rather give those ABs that Castro will get to Kieboom? Castro’s defense is yikes.

Idk what the hold up is for Bryant - go get him for less vs Nolan right now

Don’t think Col would have to eat money though. They’re not in a position where they have to trade him. Plus if he’s as available and gaining as much interest from other teams, that’s going to create quite the bidding war. They’ll be looking for the best possible deal where they (a mid-market team) won’t have to eat money. If the AAV is as reasonable as you mentioned.

Again though, you’d still be paying more - Arenados contract plus top tier prospect and their potential, than you would of for Rendon.
I dont think Rizzo cares as much about the farm as he used to simply because we have control over major league ready players now and Max coming off the books in 2 years ... The nucleus of this team is Soto, Robles, Turner, Strasburg and Corbin with two young studs waiting in the wings (Garcia and Kieboom) ... We somehow always have pitching prospects and can leverage our history to get more than normal for some of them ...

After watching what he has done in recent days I dont think we are going after Donaldson or a trade at this point ...

As bad as this seems, I think there's potential to have Garcia at 3rd and Kieboom at 2nd by the time the playoffs role around ... I'd say it's more likely to see Todd Frazier at 3rd on opening day than any of the 3 big names ...

how is Nolan’s AAV lower than Rendon’s by the way? Nolan signed for 7yrs/$260 and Rendon for 7yrs/$245. I mean Nolan’s contract kicked in this past season so it’s one less season to pay but would still be paying $37.5 mil a year as opposed to $35 mil a year for Rendon.

Front / back loading doesn't matter for MLB contracts ... The AAV is what hits your tax threshold ...

Arenado actually got 8 for 260 ... Slightly less than Rendon per year ...

260 is still > 245 lol. Still would be paying about 30 mil a year. Again, doesn’t make sense you wouldn’t pay Rendon because you couldn’t afford both but essentially pay more (contract+prospects) for Nolan. But I believe you’re right that they’re happy and going with Castro and Cabrera.

260 is still > 245 lol. Still would be paying about 30 mil a year. Again, doesn’t make sense you wouldn’t pay Rendon because you couldn’t afford both but essentially pay more (contract+prospects) for Nolan. But I believe you’re right that they’re happy and going with Castro and Cabrera.
I agree that they most likely arent going to trade for Arenado because they don't want the financial burden, but if they overpay in prospects and get COL to agree to pay some of the salary, I think it could work ... I'm not sure what happens with the tax threshold if say COL agrees to pay $5M per year, but if that's allowed it is a scenario that makes not paying Rendon but trading for Arenado brilliant ...

Again, the Nats are MLB capable position player prospect heavy ... They have their starting CF, LF, SS, 2B and 3B for the next 5-7 years either playing at an elite level in the pros already or 1-2 years away ... They have their starting rotation for 2 years set ... In theory, you can gut your farm and rebuild it for the next 3-4 years ...

Aaaaaand the Nats must be out on a big name 3B ... Hudson and Thames signed today ...

Call me crazy but I still like their chances and think they should be heavy favorites ...

Aaaaaand the Nats must be out on a big name 3B ... Hudson and Thames signed today ...

Call me crazy but I still like their chances and think they should be heavy favorites ...
If Donaldson returns to the Braves they’re the favorites. If he goes to Minnesota it’s a toss up, but the Braves have the ammo to make a Bryant or Arenado trade.

3B is gonna be a black hole this year :smh:

If Donaldson returns to the Braves they’re the favorites. If he goes to Minnesota it’s a toss up, but the Braves have the ammo to make a Bryant or Arenado trade.

3B is gonna be a black hole this year :smh:
Now I'm reading that Rizzo has been given the green light to exceed the tax threshold ... We could be in for a splash here shortly 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Could of had a younger version who came from your system, played well for you during his time there and was a pretty important part to your postseason success earlier this offseason...🤷🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom