2024 NBA Draft Thread - the hawks might be on the clock

Without context like specific game situation, competition or stats, just from those specific highlights, he looks good imo

I like how those highlights showed him cutting and moving without the ball

Doesn't have the obvious shake off the dribble but he still showed he can get to the rim regardless. He glides around and has subtle handle. His athleticism seemed pretty exceptional. His form seems good off the bounce too

Tomorrow there's a **** ton of guys playing

I'm most wanting to see Greg Brown at 9 AM going up against Kansas. He's rising for sure, definitely in my top 8

Cade plays and hopefully Suggs comes back from his leg injury to play

Mobley, Moody, Ayo, Springer/Johnson

Tomorrow there's a **** ton of guys playing

I'm most wanting to see Greg Brown at 9 AM going up against Kansas. He's rising for sure, definitely in my top 8

Cade plays and hopefully Suggs comes back from his leg injury to play

Mobley, Moody, Ayo, Springer/Johnson

Greg brown is raw as hell and isn't getting much skill coaching at UT . He has some of what Mo Bamba had , he's over 6'8 and is athletic

Brown reminds me of jerami grant. Didn’t get to watch grant in college but I’m guessing brown is ahead of the curve at the same age? Grant was a soph and second round pick is what I’m basing it off of as well as browns 3 point attempts compared to grants

Jerami was extremely raw coming out of Cuse and was a 4 star guy in HS.

Jerami put in a ton of work to get his game where it is now. He was just a super long athlete who you HOPED would figure out how to play. I never guessed in a million years that he'd be a 1st option on an NBA team. What's even crazier is Oladipo was his teammate in HS and was rated even lower.

Brown's coming in with a bigger rep. I can see the similarities in their games, though Jerami is considerably longer.

I’m only going off what I see today in grant, I already stated brown is probably ahead of the curve at the same age :lol:

Other comps I’ve read make less sense like batum, Aaron Gordon or Wiggins

The main reason I stray away from Gordon is because he had 20 lbs or so on brown at the same age. I don’t know if brown will ever get to 235 where Gordon supposedly is now

That game vs OSU had me sold.

He’s the type of boom or bust pick that could make you look great or get you fired. Talent out the roof.

The ideal team contexts for Mobley and Suggs are more challenging to construct than it is for Cunningham, too. Spot-up shooters and a lob threat to occupy defenders would amplify his offensive arsenal. A secondary handler with scoring juice is welcomed, albeit not critical because he should be good enough to warrant a hefty on-ball gig. These feel more easily attainable than the checklist for Suggs and Mobley.

Suggs requires a creative, motion-based offense that generates advantages and space for him. Gonzaga runs a modern offense (most colleges do not) that offers these qualities and the complementary talent to mitigate his ball control, handle and finishing in traffic concerns.

Nearly 37 percent of his offense has come in transition so far this year, an unsustainable rate for any high-usage NBA player. For reference, among 256 players with 50-plus transition possessions last season, Josh Hart ranked first in frequency at 32.3 percent. Suggs has a chance to become a primary ball-handler at the next level, but leaning on him for an elite creation burden — 28ish percent usage, per se — might overextend him.

Interesting

John Hollinger on Corey Kispert:
Prospect of the Week — Corey Kispert, Senior SF, Gonzaga

(Note: This section won’t necessarily profile the best prospect of the week. Just the one that I’ve been watching).

Kispert pulled out of the 2020 draft after most projections had him as a mid-second round pick, but thus far this season, he’s improved his stock considerably thanks to his torrid shooting.

Through 10 games against mostly good opposition (Gonzaga is the opposite of most college teams: It plays all of its hard games early and then skips through the overmatched WCC tulip field for two months), Kispert is shooting 50.8 percent from 3, 87.9 percent from the line, and … (double checks notes) … (triple checks notes) … an absurd 75.8 percent inside the 3-point line.

With his size, shooting ability and four-year status, Kispert evokes comparisons to Joe Harris and Doug McDermott. At 6-foot-7, he’s big enough to guard 3s and should hold up on that end, even if he’s hardly a spectacular ball hawk. Importantly, his size also makes him much more of a threat inside the arc, something he appears to have refined considerably this season.

Kispert had multiple coast-to-coast forays in Saturday’s win over San Francisco, for instance. (I can’t use video from the earlier destruction of my Virginia Cavaliers, thankfully). Much like Harris, he has a strong frame, and combined with his size, he’s able to shrug off contact and finish below the rim.

Kispert has also become a savvy cutter, using the threat of his 3 to open up backdoor cuts and generally moving well off the ball. Here, he rescues a possession with disastrous spacing with a cut into the lane for a floater.

Where Kispert might have some questions is actually with his shooting. Not the accuracy, the volume. He has a low release point (watch this free throw below, for example) and on a loaded Gonzaga team, nearly all his attempts come with both feet already facing the basket. Many of them are wide open. If you’re looking for a guy to come flying off pindowns for 3s, he might not be it. He also very rarely shoots 3s off the dribble.

That’s part of the reason his 3-point volume is still pretty low for a guy with his percentages. Kispert took only 9.6 triples per 100 possessions last season, although he is up to 11.0 this year (most good college shooters are in the low double figures on this metric). While Kispert has several factors in his favor — he has very good footwork to get into his shot quickly off the catch, he has the size to see the basket over a closeout and his range extends way, way beyond the college 3-point line — his greatest lure to NBA teams is as a high-volume gunner. He’s not quite there yet.

Overall, Kispert has clearly played himself into the first round. In particular, his work inside the 3-point arc this year gives him alternate means of scoring — he needs to make 3s, yes, but he won’t be solely reliant on them. In a league constantly hunting for shooters with size, his likely ceiling is where McDermott went (11th overall), and his likely floor is where Harris did (33rd).

Back
Top Bottom