21 Savage Thread - Savage Mode

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2017/01/21-savage-signs-epic-records/

After grinding independently for years, 21 Savage  has officially announced he’s signed a major label record deal with L.A. Reid over at Epic Records. He talked about signing the deal on the latest episode of the Rap Radar podcast.

“I ain’t wanna just sign on some straight business ****,” says 21 about L.A. Reid, who was a big fan of “No Heart.” “I wanna sign to someone who believes in me and understands me.”

Asked what it takes to build the kind of loyal core audience that he has, 21 drops jewels about the process. “Just give them a project every time instead of a single and don’t overflood, don’t drop too much music,” he says. “I see a lotta ****** drop like every other month. You’re giving ’em too much. You gotta let ’em digest and force them to listen to this over and over.”

Just last week, 21 scored his second platinum plaque  with “No Heart” after his Future collab “X” moved a million equivalent units. He also has four songs on the most recent Billboard Hot 100 chart ending Jan. 28—”Red Opps” (No. 74), his feature on Drake’s “Sneakin” (No. 69), “No Heart” (No. 46) and “X” (No. 36).

Throughout the conversation, 21 also talks about having more female fans than male fans, getting shot six times on his birthday, how he met Sonny Digital and Metro Boomin and much more. He also names the rappers he grew up on— like Dipset (“I wanted to be like Juelz Santana”), 50 Cent, UGK, Three 6 Mafia, Boosie and Gucci, for example.

Congrats to the kid on his record deal. Let’s hope Savage Mode 2  is on the way soon.

I don't see why a cat like 21 signs with a major. You got 2 plat singles on your own now you got these folks in your pockets 360 & it's not like you have a huge mainstream appeal

I don't see why a cat like 21 signs with a major. You got 2 plat singles on your own now you got these folks in your pockets 360 & it's not like you have a huge mainstream appeal

A combo of things. Young and dumb, thinking a major record label is synonymous with huge sales and a lot of money, and the fact that even though dudes are always talking about the money they get, they truly enjoy the fame from it. Likes & loops >>>> money in their pocket.

This. He was doing great on his own, better than alot of dudes on majors. 2 Plat singles, 20k a show... what more do this ***** want? He could clear a Mill a year doing it how he was without cutting them folks in.

This. He was doing great on his own, better than alot of dudes on majors. 2 Plat singles, 20k a show... what more do this ***** want? He could clear a Mill a year doing it how he was without cutting them folks in.

A plat album and 100k a show? I understand labels are evil but y'all sound ridiculous saying he's "young and dumb" for signing with a major without knowing the details.

A plat album and 100k a show? I understand labels are evil but y'all sound ridiculous saying he's "young and dumb" for signing with a major without knowing the details.
Any artist like that that has that much success on his own doesn't really need a label. They need him more than he needs them. We know only certain dudes go platinum nowadays and trap rappers aren't the ones. He was moving perfectly, over achieved in some people's eyes. Idk good for him I guess, if that's what he wants.

21 is very accomplished for a early 20 year old street rapper but the question is... Will his buzz and stardom turn into album sales? Independently, he's not gonna get much promo.

If he signs with a major, then he'll at least have a shot of going gold.

I would have to agree with y'all, though. He should stay street and independent.

Last edited:
Surprised to see him sign. Dude was getting it on his own. The Drake consigning really pushed him up too. He def ain't need no label after that.

The truth is, he has been under epic for a little bit of time and is just now announcing it.

Regardless, the independent route is hard and expensive. The latter is why I can't blame someone for going the major label route. As long as you have your publishing, touring, and some other things in order, a record deal can still be extremely advantageous.

Yeah he been with them for a lil bit not that long tho, Lotto signed w them last summer

But his manager Kei is A1 so I assume he got a cool deal. Indie is the way to go but you gotta disciplined and be fine with putting a lot your bread back into your career. Tour expenses and **** like that not cheap at all

Last edited:
Yeah he been with them for a lil bit not that long tho, Lotto signed w them last summer

But his manager Kei is A1 so I assume he got a cool deal. Indie is the way to go but you gotta disciplined and be fine with putting a lot your bread back into your career. Tour expenses and **** like that not cheap at all

Right. You get it.

Indie is cool until you become super popular and you're getting booked all over the place and your travel expenses are through the roof.

Everything is out of pocket on an independent level which is cool until you're spending almost as much as you make essentially.

21 probably got a good deal though. Don't think he would sign unless that were the case.

The truth is, he has been under epic for a little bit of time and is just now announcing it.

Regardless, the independent route is hard and expensive. The latter is why I can't blame someone for going the major label route. As long as you have your publishing, touring, and some other things in order, a record deal can still be extremely advantageous.

Would def make sense especially some of the looks fam been getting as of late

Ya'll boys don't even kno how much paper they put in his hand

Smh at not knowing dude been signed, y'all haven't caught on to the fake independent, then announced you signed thing yet?

Dude has a tape full of one of the hottest producers beats, and a song on the radio with future that gets non stop radio play, cmon now.

Last edited:

He was already signed to Epic since before Savage Mode.

Labels love doing the fake indie look now.

It's like what artist development used to be.

Last edited:
From what I've heard it wasn't that much before Savage Mode tho. They threw in Lotto as a package deal. _'s wasn't supposed to put it out there and he told the whole East Point :lol: :smh:

Keep believing that if you want.

When him & Chris Brown got into that spat in NY...those wasn't those goofy OVO ****** in his corners throwing bottles back and forth w/ Chris Brown. Those were hired "tough guys".

He absolutely moves in circles where **** can get real.

Nobody is saying he's in the hood shooting dice or not **** like that. 

da club they was in was da opposite of hood neighborhood wise.

Damn 22 really is better than 21. :lol:

was Jammin this ish all weekend when it dropped.

At this point we gotta start calling these 'rappers' beat curators cuz they aint really rapping. Just picking a hot beat, mumbling on it and repeating 2-3 words as the chorus.

"directing vibes" :lol:

22 savage is doppppe :lol: :pimp:

Funk 21 bish dis 33

joint already a mili+ views...WTF :lol: (it's definitely a parody though...VS 22 savage going for da gold)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom