24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I paid it but honestly I might just call and cancel and they can refund

Like I said barely use the card. Would it even affect my credit score since it's a charge card? Had it for about 3 years

Saving money > losing a few points on your credit score. What card is it btw ?

I called up Citi today to see if there were any retention offers on any of my cards and signed up for 15K points for $4500 spend in 6 months on my preferred card. :smokin

I finally bit the bullet and applied for a Discover IT card. I wasn't instantly approved and got the 5-7 decision notice. I uploaded a credit card statement and my social security card. First time I haven't been instantly approved for credit in years. Discover clearly wants to play with my emotions this evening

They probably just want to verify something with you credit bureau info vs personal info. Could be a change in address, work or anything really.

Like I said barely use the card. Would it even affect my credit score since it's a charge card? Had it for about 3 years

Saving money > losing a few points on your credit score. What card is it btw ?

I called up Citi today to see if there were any retention offers on any of my cards and signed up for 15K points for $4500 spend in 6 months on my preferred card. :smokin

It's the green American Express. $95 annual fee

It's not even about the money, if it was an actual card with a limit and carry balance and what not and good benefits? Then sure

Like I said I just paid it today so doubt they will give a crap and refund me if I call and cancel the card

a lot of places aren't taking them anymore, but then again in this day and age its no excuse for a small business to not use a Square POS system.

i haven't had a single issue of no one taking my AMEX...even my local mexican store takes. i always have Discover and BOA on deck so its no issue

It's not even about the money, if it was an actual card with a limit and carry balance and what not and good benefits? Then sure

Like I said I just paid it today so doubt they will give a crap and refund me if I call and cancel the card

Have you thought about upgrading to the amex premier rewards gold card ? You can use the $100 airline credit for a airline gift card. Amex PRG also has bonus categories.

Last edited:
i haven't had a single issue of no one taking my AMEX...even my local mexican store takes. i always have Discover and BOA on deck so its no issue
Some mom and pop type shops don't accept it from my experience.

Yup and those are pretty much the only places that don't accept amex. They don't take amex i use my debit card not a big deal doesn't happen often.

Same with discover. Some small shops dont take it. But its the best card i got [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127998[/emoji]. They wouldnt take it when i tried to rent a car at the airport in Mexico.

Have you thought about upgrading to the amex premier rewards gold card ? You can use the $100 airline credit for a airline gift card. Amex PRG also has bonus categories.

I don't fly bro :lol:

Nothing wrong with Amex, they have great customer service at least anytime I've called and had an issue.

I don't fly bro
laugh.gif

Nothing wrong with Amex, they have great customer service at least anytime I've called and had an issue.
Yeah customer service is A1, I just use the card like a debit card I am sure I'm not maximizing my points.

I finally bit the bullet and applied for a Discover IT card. I wasn't instantly approved and got the 5-7 decision notice. I uploaded a credit card statement and my social security card. First time I haven't been instantly approved for credit in years. Discover clearly wants to play with my emotions this evening.

View media item 1971568

Shout out to Bert. Bert. for that DiT. Unfortunately, mine wasn't as eventful as yours as it only took a few seconds :lol:

I think I'll call it a day with my Marriot, Sapphire and DiT for now. Three's already a crowd in my wallet.

Last edited:

Some mom and pop type shops don't accept it from my experience.

Yup and those are pretty much the only places that don't accept amex. They don't take amex i use my debit card not a big deal doesn't happen often.

I was surprised to find In-N-Out doesn't accept AMEX.

Ive had issues with places not taking AMEX more than a few times but I dont have that card anymore.

Happened couple of times with Discover too.

Finally caught up on the thread a little. Cancelling my card today if I can. Have it through Wells Fargo with a limit of $700, but that APR rate is ridiculous to me. From what I've read, there aren't too many problems associated with cancelled a card unless you 1) have debt on it 2) have had it for a while and want the "positives" of it and 3) if you don't plan on making any big purchases soon. (I could have that wrong, still a newbie)

Cool cool. And by the way, best card for a student? I was looking at that Chase Slate card that was mentioned a few times here. Gonna do more research on stuff when I get back home

I finally bit the bullet and applied for a Discover IT card. I wasn't instantly approved and got the 5-7 decision notice. I uploaded a credit card statement and my social security card. First time I haven't been instantly approved for credit in years. Discover clearly wants to play with my emotions this evening.

View media item 1971568

Update. I called to see what the hell was going on with my app and was approved for $10,500 over the phone. They still didn't explain why it wasn't instantly approved either. I blew my free credit reports this morning like a paranoid schizo. I went this design because I'm a hype beast.

View media item 1973253

Last edited:
Cool cool. And by the way, best card for a student? I was looking at that Chase Slate card that was mentioned a few times here. Gonna do more research on stuff when I get back home

Are you trying to earn rewards with the card? Or will you be carrying a balance on it? (Asking because you said interest rate is too high on your other card). Interest rates shouldn't be an issue if you plan on paying the card in full every month.

Honestly id just keep the card.

Are you trying to earn rewards with the card? Or will you be carrying a balance on it? (Asking because you said interest rate is too high on your other card). Interest rates shouldn't be an issue if you plan on paying the card in full every month.
Ehh don't really care about rewards. And I said that about interest rates because I had used the $700 on it to pay for school and I was paying it over the course of like 3-4 months and didn't really think to check the interest on it until the 4th month (my bad for not looking at it right after I got the card).

Currently:

APR: 18.4% variable

Cash Advance: 24.24% variable

Ehh don't really care about rewards. And I said that about interest rates because I had used the $700 on it to pay for school and I was paying it over the course of like 3-4 months and didn't really think to check the interest on it until the 4th month (my bad for not looking at it right after I got the card).

Currently:
APR: 18.4% variable
Cash Advance: 24.24% variable

I mean that's not a terrible interest rate if your credit profile is slim. Some cards go as low as like 10% interest rate but it's based on your credit profile. You can get a card that has an intro 0% interest rate for like 12-18 months if you plan on carrying a balance on it again. My best advice if you are going to carry balances though: get 2 cards that have 0% balance transfer offers. If your 0% intro apr is up and you have to carry a balance, do a balance transfer to the other card (usually it will cost around 3% of the balance) to avoid paying high interest rates. And you'll get another 12-15 months of no interest on it.

Back
Top Bottom