24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Mistake.

Your CScore will certainly take a hit closing that card after 6 months. I vehemently encourage my clients to NEVER open store cards. If you wanted 0% APR, there's a slew of CCs that offer 12+ months of zero percent interest plus cash back bonuses. Store cards offer low credit limits, little incentives and high interest rates. Avoid them at all costs.

/rant
How long should I wait to close it then? The limit is 2000. It shouldn't affect my utilization rate since I have CCs with higher limits

I have several CCs I don't use and I'm trying to declutter

Close it. The limit isn’t high enough to mess up your utilization. Age of the account isn’t old enough to mess up your AAoA

You took a hit on the hard inquiry but closing it now shouldn’t effect your score that dramatically

20180825_004253.jpg

Ol girl at my bank suggested me this as a starter pack. Thoughts?

Is a Amex Gold Card worth it?

Asking cause I have one, lol, but I just got it because I like charge cards. I never carry a balance.

Never put too much thought in getting a card for the benefits.

I have a Costco credit card, but I just use that for Costco and Costco gas. And maybe, a big purchase if I cant cover immediately.

How can I build credit at 19 with no prior history at all? I know there are tricks out there. I've seen people build up credit really quickly out of no where. There are cheats to the system I think, but I need someone with more information to help me out. I think it has to do with how and when you pay the monthly bill such as leaving it at a ten percent balance to help utilization rate? Because if you leave it at zero every cycle, when they report to the bureaus, it wouldn't help my utilization rating because it would be zero?

How can I build credit at 19 with no prior history at all? I know there are tricks out there. I've seen people build up credit really quickly out of no where. There are cheats to the system I think, but I need someone with more information to help me out. I think it has to do with how and when you pay the monthly bill such as leaving it at a ten percent balance to help utilization rate? Because if you leave it at zero every cycle, when they report to the bureaus, it wouldn't help my utilization rating because it would be zero?
What do you mean by prior history bro? You mean never establishing credit before? Im 21 so we may be in the same boat.

Secured credit card. Capital one. Carry a small balance. Pay your payment religiously

A lot of people that age end up building it up by getting student loans (not that I'd recommend that if you don't need one). From there you can get some lower level cards. Capital One secured cards are a good option, or even a lower level card from them as well that's not too hard to get. From there, have a low balance on cards and don't pay interest.

I don't get it. My score decreased 17 points but all I did was eliminate the balance on one of my cards. No recent missed payments or inquires..

Is a Amex Gold Card worth it?

Asking cause I have one, lol, but I just got it because I like charge cards. I never carry a balance.

Never put too much thought in getting a card for the benefits.

I have a Costco credit card, but I just use that for Costco and Costco gas. And maybe, a big purchase if I cant cover immediately.

I have the preferred rewards one. If that is the one you have, I think the flight credit and points at restaurants make it worth it. Even if you have the regular one, I think the charge card nature of it is a benefit as long as you aren't using the pay over time feature. But def upgrade from the regular gold to the preferred rewards. If you have had it over a year it is a simple upgrade phone call.

I don't get it. My score decreased 17 points but all I did was eliminate the balance on one of my cards. No recent missed payments or inquires..

Dawg. The exact thing happened to me. I dropped 14 points and all I did was pay off my discover balance. They really don’t want me to see that 800 club smh

See a lot of overcomplication in this thread.

1. Pay down all debt consistently and don’t be late on payments.
2. Build up to 2-3 cards (no store cards) and keep them open forever...don’t close them. Student loan debt and a car note really help.
3. Ideally have high limits on the cards. Can ask for a limit increase.
4. Get CreditKarma. Let’s you monitor your score and any fraud.

It’s really just a time and patience thing to get 800. It’s very easy to do if your income > expenses.

If you have a running balance on a business CC (used SSN as the Tax ID) does that affect your credit score ? I know if you have a running balance on a personal card it does but not sure how it works for a business card.

I mean, I could care less about my score at this point, it’s just hilarious to me. Already own a few properties so credit isn’t doing all that much for me.

Back
Top Bottom