24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I have around 10+ hard inquires in the last two years. When I applied for the chase freedom card, my experian fico score went up 3 points. :tongue:

I think inquires account for 10% of your score.

Just got approved for the Discover IT card 5.5K limit

IT card is the greatest man. They gave me a 7k limit, then upped it to 10k 3 months later. Needless to say...I'm ****** up in the game right now and I went swipe-happy with it :lol:. My goal is to have it paid off by New Years.

But keep your balance low, and you'll get a guaranteed increase in a few months

IT card is the greatest man. They gave me a 7k limit, then upped it to 10k 3 months later. Needless to say...I'm ****** up in the game right now and I went swipe-happy with it :lol:. My goal is to have it paid off by New Years.

But keep your balance low, and you'll get a guaranteed increase in a few months

Yeah I would have got a higher limit of they would have allowed me to put my annual salary with my new job in starting in a month.

Hopefully I can get it up to 8. 5K with the increase.

Last edited:
I didn't know it was good to keep a little bit of a balance on your cards. That makes sense.

I would recommend the Blue Cashback card from American Express. It's free and it offers cash back on most purchases. It's the first one I got when I started working and it's been great. Every month or two I earn enough for a $25 credit.

I might have to apply for that Discover IT card for the cash rewards alone. It kicks my Bank of America Cash Rewards card's butt across the board.

Last edited:
I didn't know it was good to keep a little bit of a balance on your cards. That makes sense.
Of course. They're in the business of making money, so why not reward you with extra points on your score for paying them interest on your outstanding balance?

Like I've said many times, the credit scoring game is rigged and completely flawed.

Just got this in the mail. Is this  a good card?

View media item 1271961

Got this sent to me some time back; threw it among the stack of offers that I have sitting there. I aint about the $400+ annual fee life...:lol:

I am definitely in the market for a new card, though, giving the bull ishh I am experiencing with Discover right now.

Is the Discover Student card easy to get? Im new to this credit thing and only have a Kohls Charge card but want something to use everywhere else

Want to know why they call it a Discover card? Because you have to discover places that accept it :lol:

You aint never lied...

Currently on vacation in Europe...toured through London and I am now in France. Not one vendor has accepted by Discover/"Diners Club" card. It gets rejected everywhere...:smh:

Luckily I have my bank debit card which is serviced by Mastercard.

Will definitely be in the market for a new card in about 2 years time--after I buy a place and take on a mortgage.

Last edited:
Might not be applying for that Discover card after all. I forgot I had the student card back in 05-06 and I could barely use it because nobody accepted it lol.

I never had issue using a discover card at normal places, I got denied once at a random restaurant in the middle of no where

Plus the cash back for online is amazing

Will never be getting a Discover card if I have to worry that much

It aint that serious, plenty of places take it where i dont think you will run into an issue unless you are in the middle of nowhere and they only take visa or amex.

i rarely use mine outside of online shopping tbh

Its normally those moms & pops shops that don't take discover in my experiences. I think there are better cards out there than discover it, though.

Last edited:
Discover is fine in the U.S; I've had spectacular service using my card state side.

The issue, though, is finding a vendor that accepts it abroad.

Vendors that accept "Diners club" cards should technically accept Discover, but I have experienced different.

The city of London's version of the MTA ticket machine didn't even accept my card.

:smh:

I think either ima try for the discover IT, or chase freedom in March. I'ma b ridin wit this cap 1 secured card for about 18 months when March rolls around so tryna graduate...

I needed to get some furniture, and rather than finance with the store, I just signed up for a Quicksilver card. High APR after the introductory, but $100 cash back with your first $500 purchase in the first 3 months and 1.5% cash back on everything. Free credit checking, on my iPhone app is real useful as well. Also, they are very generous with their credit line. Approved for 10k, so my utilization dropped, which is another plus.

And yeah, the Black Card was so tempting, just because it's SS, but the $500 annual fee is ridiculous. I don't spend anywhere near the amount I would need to justify it and I think even college students get offers for the card so it's not really exclusive.

I think I've had every major credit card but my AMEX Blue Cash preferred is still my go to.

Of course. They're in the business of making money, so why not reward you with extra points on your score for paying them interest on your outstanding balance?

Like I've said many times, the credit scoring game is rigged and completely flawed.
Those who want to maximize their fico credit score, don't listen to this man above.

Paying interest is foolish unless you need to carry a balance.

In order to maximize your score, make sure all CC's report 0 balance except for one where you should leave 1-9%.  After the statement cuts, pay-off that balance to avoid interest.

Back
Top Bottom