24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Was coming in to post about the Amex thing, but decided to look up that Discover IT card and that one has me tempted too. Is that Apple Pay thing still valid for new members? If so, that might have to be the move. 
It is still valid, apple pay 10% cash back is for all member. Double cash back is for new members , so you will be getting 20% cash back with apple pay no cashback limit.

I was tempted on the AMEX too but that annual fee is no bueno. I dont even really trip about things like that but the Discover IT is the move right about now.

Yea I just found an article on it Beezy. Thanks

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cre...ple-pay-offers-10-percent-bonus-limited-time/

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...ar-preparing-for-discover-apple-pay-and-2000/

Think this might be the move for me. Then I can cancel the credit report with BoA since they charge me a fee for it and use the ones from them for free monthly. 
nthat.gif

I got the Chase Mileage Explorer Card last October. They give you 45,000 bonus miles, and an extra 5,000 miles if you have add an authorized user. All you have to do is spend $3,000 in 90 days. Not bad considering I always pay everything off as soon as the bill comes.

So I Booked a trip to Medellin Colombia for November roundtrip, one flight leg is business class. Flying United Airlines, 2 free checked bags, 2 United Passes, no foreign transaction fee.

I paid $28.45 after all taxes and fees for the roundtrip. I am now canceling the card because I don't want to pay the $95 yearly renew fee.

The Balance was paid off in full soon after I racked up the $3,000 and received the bonus points.

So for you guys that travel, I would suggest a card with bonus mile signups. If not get a Cash Back reward Card.

I would suggest either the Chase Freedom, or the Bank of America Cash Rewards. Both are good for beginners.

Can you dumb down that article? They talking about buying 10 racks worth of gift cards. Sounds like an African scam. I just want a new MBP.

So I can sign up for Discover IT and enroll in there double cashback program? Since they are giving 10% apple pay cashback, that means I will get 20% cashback if I buy a new mbp using the Discover IT card?

*Does apple allow you to buy products online then pay for it at an apple store?

Can you dumb down that article? They talking about buying 10 racks worth of gift cards. Sounds like an African scam. I just want a new MBP.

So I can sign up for Discover IT and enroll in there double cashback program? Since they are giving 10% apple pay cashback, that means I will get 20% cashback if I buy a new mbp using the Discover IT card?

*Does apple allow you to buy products online then pay for it at an apple store?
laugh.gif
 that is manufactured spending aka credit churning. I wouldn't get involved with that stuff, your account may get shut down and it is very hard to keep track of all of the fake spending.

Yes you would get 20% cash back. You have to buy it in store, apple doesn't have a buy online pay in store option.

@WrightOne86  congrats on the card. You're gonna love it. Make sure to check out the deals section, plenty of 5-10% cashback options for online shopping.

Don't forget to activate your 5% cash back category.

Last edited:
From what I see you have to buy I store only and with apple pay

Smh would love to get rid of my iPhone and cop a new one 20% off

Yes the 10% cash back is with Apple Pay only, which is an instore purchase using Apple Pay.

Double cashback is a separate cash back bonus. This is double cashback on any purchase for new cardholders only.

Bonuses can be combined for a total of 20% cashback using Apple Pay.

Last edited:
Thanks Beezy. I am sure I will be asking again to make sure I sign up for everything properly.

Yea to get the 20%, you would have to buy it in store and pay with it through ApplePay on your phone. You would get the 10% cash back and then the 10% for using ApplePay. Then for new members they are giving you double the rewards cash back up to 10k after the 12th billing cycle.

Just got my IT card in. Says my score is 681. First card never had any other real credit history.

How does cashback work? They send you a check or just put it on your bill?

Would love to use that 20% off to buy a new iPhone but I'm stuck on my old faithful 4s :lol:

Just got my IT card in. Says my score is 681. First card never had any other real credit history.

How does cashback work? They send you a check or just put it on your bill?

Would love to use that 20% off to buy a new iPhone but I'm stuck on my old faithful 4s
laugh.gif
Cashback, they normally just have a separate line online on your account saying how much you have. Normally, you can either apply it to your current amount you owe, or you can transfer it to an account you specify. My other rewards card is the same a bank I have, so I can transfer on the spot. Not sure if it is the same being this is outside of a bank persay. 
That's extra 10% back using Apple pay only good at the Apple Store or anywhere???
Anywhere ApplePay is accepted and used. 

For Discover the rewards section is on the right side of your home screen. All information is located there.

Click on Rewards Details, for cash back information.

Click on View 5% Calendar, to activate 5% cash back categories.

Click on Shop Now, for online cash back bonuses.

I have 2 MacBooks and 1 MBP I am purchasing before the year is up. Going to purchase with Apple Pay & save up the cashback.

Last edited:

For Discover the rewards section is on the right side of your home screen. All information is located there.

Click on Rewards Details, for cash back information.

Click on View 5% Calendar, to activate 5% cash back categories.

Click on Shop Now, for online cash back bonuses.

I have 2 MacBooks and 1 MBP I am purchasing before the year is up. Going to purchase with Apple Pay & save up the cashback.
So the various 5% quarterly....is that online through their store only, or anywhere those stores actually are? Or do they have 2 different places for the 5% (online and retail store)?

Son going in with 3 Macbook purchases?! 
eek.gif

So the various 5% quarterly....is that online through their store only, or anywhere those stores actually are? Or do they have 2 different places for the 5% (online and retail store)?

Son going in with 3 Macbook purchases?! 
eek.gif
Lol 4 Macbook purchases, I just bought one Saturday. 2 are gifts, and 2 are for me needed to upgrade.

[h2]  [/h2]
[h2]Home Improvement Stores, Department Stores, and Amazon.com[/h2]
You've activated 5% Cashback Bonus  on up to $1,500 in purchases at Home Improvement Stores, Department Stores, and at Amazon.com from now through September 2015.*
So currently this is the 5% category, the home improvement & department stores are instore only, and amazon.com is online (obviously lol).

Discover has two different cash back sections. The Discover Deals sections, which includes online & very few in-store deals. The 5% category quarterly rotation with a cap at $1500 ($75 cashback).

Lol 4 Macbook purchases, I just bought one Saturday. 2 are gifts, and 2 are for me needed to upgrade.

[h2]  [/h2]
So currently this is the 5% category, the home improvement & department stores are instore only, and amazon.com is online (obviously lol).

Discover has two different cash back sections. The Discover Deals sections, which includes online & very few in-store deals. The 5% category quarterly rotation with a cap at $1500 ($75 cashback).
my mans is gifting Macs....family or the ladies must love you 
laugh.gif
nthat.gif

Home Improvement, Department and Amazon.com 
eek.gif

Damn near everywhere I buy from right there 
laugh.gif

Everyone gonna be eatin off of Discover 
nthat.gif

My favorite feature is the 12 month 0% Balance Transfer, as long as they keep up the always available BT offers, I will never pay interest for anything.

Do they have the 3% (max $150) BT fee? I think my NFCU and Citi Bank normally always have a 12 or 18 month 0% offer going on, but they have that fee associated with it as well. 

Do they have the 3% (max $150) BT fee? I think my NFCU and Citi Bank normally always have a 12 or 18 month 0% offer going on, but they have that fee associated with it as well. 
Yes 3% BT fee no max fee though.

I've never seen a 0% BT offer for NFCU , when I looked it up last promo I saw was in 2014 before I got the card. Do they have a place for promos?

Last edited:
shoutout Bert. Bert. just used his link and got approved for $50 with the IT card. $1500 limit. my second card, the other is a chase freedom card with $500 limit that I've had for 7 months now :smokin

Back
Top Bottom