25 and older Jordan heads

I've been buying my own shoes since middle school I'm 19 now. I wouldn't buy a pair of shoes to resell and I hate when I'm wearing some so called "Heat" Concords Breds True Blues to work. People always question why I have them on including OG sneaker heads that's in their 30s

28, about to turn 29 next month. In the process of selling 95% of all my shoes. It's that time. 

I still LOVE shoes. That will never change. As long as I love my childhood, for nostalgia purposes, no matter how terrible of a direction Jordan Brand is heading, no matter how terrible of a direction sneaker culture is heading, I will always love shoes as it is something from my childhood that I can take with me as I get older. 

However, as a dude about to turn 30, working in a corporate environment, and having my own place with limited space, it's just not practical for me to have 30+ shoes that I have to store, and can only wear maybe 2 days out of the week. 

To my older heads, I suggest you guys take a look in the Dressing Better thread here on NT. I had been introduced to the world of fine dress shoes, and have developed a love for Allen Edmonds shoes, shoes that I could actually get some mileage on and wear to work, shoes that actually go well with my age. 

I'll maybe keep 5 pairs of Jordans, strictly for nostalgia, and I'll be good. 
I hope you realize the world of dress shoes is way bigger than sneakers as well as way more expensive. If you are starting with Allen Edmonds, you have only scratched the surface. Have fun.

I hope you realize the world of dress shoes is way bigger than sneakers as well as way more expensive. If you are starting with Allen Edmonds, you have only scratched the surface. Have fun.
Yep. You said it. Allen Edmonds are entry level shoes. Good when on sale. Brands like Alden, Crockett and Jones, Carmina, etc are medium range. Brands like Lobb, EG and others that start over $1k would be the higher end lines.

I have no problems buying fine footwear but paying the market value for shoes like Yeezys or whatever else is limited is asinine to me.

If you check SF you will see a lot of folks have closet or room filled with shoes too. Space becomes a concern either way with sneakers or fine footwear, lol.

Last edited:
i wear my kicks till the soles get all messed up, then i retire them.

slowly getting rid of my kicks because i only have one pair of feet...how many shoes do i really need to wear?!?

This thread makes me sad. Everyone talking about selling off all their shoes and what not. I'm gonna rock sneakers forever...idgaf. I only wear J's probably 2 days a week...sometimes 3 at most. But I still have tons of fun doing it. Just running around town doing errands I'll rock a pair. Nothing like putting on my fit, going to the shoe closet, and pulling out my shoes and putting them on. Still gets me, every. single. time.

This thread makes me sad. Everyone talking about selling off all their shoes and what not. I'm gonna rock sneakers forever...idgaf. I only wear J's probably 2 days a week...sometimes 3 at most. But I still have tons of fun doing it. Just running around town doing errands I'll rock a pair. Nothing like putting on my fit, going to the shoe closet, and pulling out my shoes and putting them on. Still gets me, every. single. time.
I'm with you here.  I'm still growing my collection and having a blast doing it.  

Quoted for truth...

For what it's worth Alden >>> Allen Edmonds...I've got three pairs of 405's and a couple wing tips that get decent rotation during weekly meetings and such...

That being said I'll be wearing sneakers until I physically can't walk anymore...32 here and while I love a good pair of hand made dress shoes, I think dressing age appropriate is all relative...I learned a very long time ago that if I worried about what other people thought or what popular society thought was "correct" I'd be very unhappy for a great portion of the time...This includes what I put on my feet...

There is a time and place for everything. Work = nice dress shoes. Weekends/vacation/gym/regular trips to the store or out to eat = Jordans. No need to sacrifice anything, plenty of time to wear both.

Last edited:
Quoted for truth...

For what it's worth Alden >>> Allen Edmonds...I've got three pairs of 405's and a couple wing tips that get decent rotation during weekly meetings and such...

That being said I'll be wearing sneakers until I physically can't walk anymore...32 here and while I love a good pair of hand made dress shoes, I think dressing age appropriate is all relative...I learned a very long time ago that if I worried about what other people thought or what popular society thought was "correct" I'd be very unhappy for a great portion of the time...This includes what I put on my feet...
Different aesthetics though. I'll agree that AE and Alden are the two last remaining great shoemakers based in the USA. AE shoes are more sleek for the most part. Aldens are more bulbous, like the Barrie, Trubalance lasts. Even their sleeker ones aren't that all sharp looking. And I have like 10 pairs of Aldens and love them for what they are. It goes with the old school vibe where bigger was better.

Why do you have 3 pairs of 405s though? If you like the Indys, you can go with 403, NXL, or shell to switch things up. Unless you mistook 405 for the name and not the color code.

Some are still in it. Some left. There are OGs here that no longer post that are still very much active. Others just outgrew it.

I don't even consider myself an "OG" because I only really got into buying Jordans with the 15s in the 9th grade. I took notice of the shoe line with the 11s in elementary school, but mom wasn't going to pay $100 for kicks. I had the generic Nikes from Big 5. My first real nice shoes were the $100 first Jumpmans that Eddie Jones wore. Buying shoes has become so laughable now. You gotta collect raffle tickets, get bots, wake up on the dot on Saturday morning, etc. God forbid they pick your raffle and call you, but you can't pick up because you're in a conference call, you're still screwed. Back then....everything was widely available and made it to a sale. The only thing that you lined up for was the retro 11. Lining up meant arriving 15-20 mins before the store opens to ensure you get yours. They were $125 and if your friend works at the store, you can get that extra 30% off too.

I remember picking up the black/blue retro 1s these kids are paying more than twice over retail for at $50 because they sat so long.

Jordans also dropped once in a couple of months. I got my first job in high school just to buy kicks for myself. I don't even know how kids these days are affording these shoes. It seems like something drops weekly.

The meaning of 'heat' has really killed the subculture. Back then, the fun part was hunting for the OG stuff on eBay and rock them.

Like you, I can wear sneakers 3 times a week and I still do it for fun. From double monks to one day to Foam the next (when allowed of course). I don't really buy the limited stuff though, I just stick to the OG colorways for the most part. A lot of the retro + colorways that drop now would've been called variants a decade ago.

Last edited:
Different aesthetics though. I'll agree that AE and Alden are the two last remaining great shoemakers based in the USA. AE shoes are more sleek for the most part. Aldens are more bulbous, like the Barrie, Trubalance lasts. Even their sleeker ones aren't that all sharp looking. And I have like 10 pairs of Aldens and love them for what they are. It goes with the old school vibe where bigger was better.

Why do you have 3 pairs of 405s though? If you like the Indys, you can go with 403, NXL, or shell to switch things up. Unless you mistook 405 for the name and not the color code.
Some are still in it. Some left. There are OGs here that no longer post that are still very much active. Others just outgrew it.

I don't even consider myself an "OG" because I only really got into buying Jordans with the 15s in the 9th grade. I took notice of the shoe line with the 11s in elementary school, but mom wasn't going to pay $100 for kicks. I had the generic Nikes from Big 5. My first real nice shoes were the $100 first Jumpmans that Eddie Jones wore. Buying shoes has become so laughable now. You gotta collect raffle tickets, get bots, wake up on the dot on Saturday morning, etc. God forbid they pick your raffle and call you, but you can't pick up because you're in a conference call, you're still screwed. Back then....everything was widely available and made it to a sale. The only thing that you lined up for was the retro 11. Lining up meant arriving 15-20 mins before the store opens to ensure you get yours. They were $125 and if your friend works at the store, you can get that extra 30% off too.

I remember picking up the black/blue retro 1s these kids are paying more than twice over retail for at $50 because they sat so long.

Jordans also dropped once in a couple of months. I got my first job in high school just to buy kicks for myself. I don't even know how kids these days are affording these shoes. It seems like something drops weekly.

The meaning of 'heat' has really killed the subculture. Back then, the fun part was hunting for the OG stuff on eBay and rock them.

Like you, I can wear sneakers 3 times a week and I still do it for fun. From double monks to one day to Foam the next (when allowed of course). I don't really buy the limited stuff though, I just stick to the OG colorways for the most part. A lot of the retro + colorways that drop now would've been called variants a decade ago.
Those were the days man. Can wake up at anytime on release day, walk in the store and get my size and go home. It seems like Jordan's are dropping weekly and the quality is getting worse and more expensive! 

Because when I purchased my boots the "405" wasn't an indicator of the color...It was the actual model...All duck lined 405's pre 2009...

View media item 591468
All these were made through Alden's custom service as per my specifications...Not sure if they even offer this service anymore but the Dark Brown calf has gotten the most wear of the bunch...

While the "Indy boot" with it's Trubalance last is bar none my favorite shoe / boot ever I'll go on record right now saying the Plaza last is actually my favorite from the brand...

Thread got a little off track so back on topic...

Jordan XI's can get worn every day on my end and I'll be happy regardless...

I'm with you here.  I'm still growing my collection and having a blast doing it.  
That's what I'm talking about. I don't pick up every release...but the one's I like I cop. And those wolf grey 5's in your avi are soooo nice. I have a pair and the quality is sick. Ankle area is a little skimpy on the padding, but everything else on that shoe is VERY well done.

Looks like I'm one of the few that's about to be 30 and still hanging in there with releases. I'm over the 200 pair mark, 2 kids, wife and all the bills that come with that life but still cop pretty much every release I can. Like most have stated I'm unable to wear my kicks no more than 2-3 times a week due to work but something about the "hunt" that gets me every Saturday morning. With that being said " Bel Air" 5's here I come!! lol

That's what I'm talking about. I don't pick up every release...but the one's I like I cop. And those wolf grey 5's in your avi are soooo nice. I have a pair and the quality is sick. Ankle area is a little skimpy on the padding, but everything else on that shoe is VERY well done.

Yeah, I love my wolf greys!!! My wife and daughters have them as well. Amazing shoe, but you nailed the lack of padding. Love that shoe.

3s, 4s, and 5s in general still blow me away.

feel a lot o f the comments here 30 wife kids good job. Im not the collector I used to be but I snipe the jays that I couldn't get when I was a kid and sometimes bite on a different colorway. it weird seeing kid these day all Jordan head to toe like a a costume. for example hat shirt chain shorts backpack shoes sock ALL Jordan it reminds me of have all the same armor on a rpg like you getting a bonus just to be all "jayed" up. remember when you matched Jordan with just jean or short and a tshirt.

Took some time off work and went on a business trip with my wife. She's been working all week, so during the day I have plenty of down time to explore this city and look for shoe spots. That hasn't gone very well, but I don't expect much to sit around in this climate. I'm gonna hit a Nike Outlet today and hopefully stumble upon something (Kinda looking for that Nike Futura Track Suit). I packed fairly light, jeans, Tees, one suit for a dinner, dress boots, BC-III and BC-IV.

25 and only buy jays I missed out on or had as a kid. I resell because that's the market. If I can make a easy 100 dollars off a shoe dat I don't want but copped because I know the ins n outs then imma take full advantage of it. Only shoes I let sit on ice r the shoes I really wanna still b rocking years from now. Yes I sell shoes from my personal collection but only cause I out grew them in size or desire

Fresh Prince of Bel Air V's?! I remember when Jordans came in goofy colors like this they were straight up fake. Now JB going the variant colorway route to attract the younger crowd. As a 33yr old I cant rock loud crap like this. OG colorways only for me.

im 27, no kids, no wife, my own spot, nice car and makea nice living. ill be damned if im going to let society or ANYBODY for that fact influence me and dress like an old geezer at 27. im good and im going to do ME until im dead. ive definitely slowed down on kicks and only have about 20 Js now, but it's not about being 27 but more so that this sneaker game is played out and nike/JB have watered it down. ive got a youthful spirit and im going to live life to the fullest. :smokin

Last edited:
im 27, no kids, no wife, my own spot, nice car and makea nice living. ill be damned if im going to let society or ANYBODY for that fact influence me and dress like an old geezer at 27. im good and im going to do ME until im dead. ive definitely slowed down on kicks and only have about 20 Js now, but it's not about being 27 but more so that this sneaker game is played out and nike/JB have watered it down. ive got a youthful spirit and im going to live life to the fullest. :smokin

I couldn't have said it any better

Fresh Prince of Bel Air V's?! I remember when Jordans came in goofy colors like this they were straight up fake. Now JB going the variant colorway route to attract the younger crowd. As a 33yr old I cant rock loud crap like this. OG colorways only for me.

The loudest it used to get for J's was the aqua VIIIs. Ha

Last edited:

THIS! I hate when people say I shouldn't wear Jordan's or any sneaker at 28. Some women buy designer bags. I buy shoes...all kinds.

Back
Top Bottom